PDA

View Full Version : Problem with slider button on multiple PPCs

jndreu
January 2nd, 2010, 11:19 PM
I'm experiencing something very strange. A while back I managed to create a slider button in NetRemote so I could control an Insteon dimmer switch from my PocketPC. Works great. The same CCF file also works great when I run it on my Windows desktop.

Here's the weird part. I just put this same CCF, lua files, etc. on a new Windows Mobile device I just got (this one runs Windows Mobile 5.0 and is capable of 802.11g vs the old one which ran Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition and only supported 802.11b - which is why I want to run NetRemote on the new device) and the slider doesn't work... well sort of! If I move the slider on the Windows Mobile 5 device, nothing happens to the level of my light and the sliders on the other NetRemote clients don't update their position. However, if I move the slider on my old PPC device or on my Windows NetRemote client, the light level is adjusted AND the slider on the new PPC device moves to match the current level!

So, even though all of these clients are using the exact same files, my new WinMobile 5 device seems to be unable to SEND updates to the insteon level variable, however it is able to receive. Does this make any sense? I tried rebooting everything but no change.

Any idea where I can look to troubleshoot this? Is this a Windows Mobile 5 issue?

Rob H
January 3rd, 2010, 08:36 AM
It sounds like the call to NetRemote.RegisterVariableWatch isn't working on that device for some reason. I'd be checking that code.

May be worth looking at the log file on that PC for any errors.

jndreu
January 3rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
I figured it out. On the new PPC, I looked in the NetRemote Plugin settings and I saw that under "Girder (-1)" there are two line items (one ending in "(-1) and another ending in "(-2001)"). The line ending in (-1) had a hostname for the PC running G5 instead of its IP address (which is how I had it configured on my old PPC). As soon as I changed it to the IP address of the G5 PC it worked.

Can you explain what the difference between the two entries are? I think I read somewhere that the (-1) refers to the G5 instance in the case of multiple G5 servers? What is the (-2001) entry for? These just showed up by themselves. I only have one G5 server on my network.

Also why won't it work with the hostname?

Rob H
January 4th, 2010, 11:10 AM
All plugins have a default instance number - in the case of the Girder plugin that is -1. Plugin instances are normally created with the default instance number -2000 + n * 100 where n is from 0 to 9 ie -2001, -2101, -2201 for the Girder plugin.

You can change the default instance to point to any of the instances using Lua code or a built-in action.

Accordingly there really should never be a real -1 instance, but NetRemote doesn't currently enforce this.

There are a couple of possible reasons for the hostname failing, it depends on your network in practice, e.g. it may be resolving to the the wrong IP address or more specifically to the wrong network interface if there is more than one available.

jndreu
January 4th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Got it, thx.