PDA

View Full Version : Dropdown list to execute different Girder actions

jndreu
January 3rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
I would like to create a simple dropdown list on one of the pages of my NetRemote CCF but after reading the documentation and looking through the forums I am still lost as to where to start.

Basically I just want a single dropdown list with a bunch of choices and have each item in the list execute a different Girder action. I'm fine on the Girder side - I already have these ready to go - but I can't figure out how to create the dropdown list in NetRemote.

I originally just created a bunch of buttons which execute the Girder actions but I'm at the point where I just don't have enough screen real estate for all of the buttons I need, so the dropdown list would be a better approach.

Can someone kindly point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

jndreu
January 6th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Can anyone help with this?

vitello
January 6th, 2010, 09:09 PM
What I do sometimes when I run out of space for buttons is use a button to open up
a frame with extra buttons. I place it so it doesn't obscure anything important. You might
also want to consider a sliding panel that opens from a tab on one side. Setting up a
frame that is toggled hidden is easy to do. If you want details let me know.

Peter

jwilson56
January 6th, 2010, 09:27 PM
What I do sometimes when I run out of space for buttons is use a button to open up
a frame with extra buttons. I place it so it doesn't obscure anything important. You might
also want to consider a sliding panel that opens from a tab on one side. Setting up a
frame that is toggled hidden is easy to do. If you want details let me know.

Peter

I pretty much do the same thing. I have hiden panels that get popped up to select zones for example. Check out my showcase and blog for screen shots

jndreu
January 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Thank you both for your replies. These sound like good options as well and I'd appreciate it very much if you could provide details on how to create the sliding frames/pop-up windows as I'm sure I could use these elsewere in my device...

I would still like to try the drop-down list however - the reason is that I am using my Windows Mobile device to tune different radio stations and music broadcasts that I receive through my digital TV set top box and play through my receiver. There are dozens of "channels" and so I would probably need more than one sliding/pop-up window for all of the buttons so it could still get messy... I thought that creating a single drop down list with a scroll bar would be a cleaner approach for this specific task. All I would need in the list are the names of the different channels and upon selection, I trigger a Girder event as I do with the buttons currently.

Can either of you also provide details on how to do the drop down list as well?

Thanks

zarri
January 8th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Hi JD

I think i did this week what you wanna do.

In my project I use a dropdown list for the Sleep-Timer of a TV.

In NR use the advanced Controls Dropdown List Variable.
I use 2 variables with register variablewatch in the lua-file.
the list variable can be configured like var = "/OFF/30/60" etc.

On Girder side I make a scripting action that will be executed every-time the variable changes.i.e. selection is made in the drop down. Here you have then to programm some sort of input parsing like if 30 then varx = actionparameter.

Then a second action between the receive Event and den Scripting Action in Girder will be executed with whatever you want for example tune to Radio-Channel.

vitello
January 8th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Yes, using the AvidUtils Plugin Dropdown sounds like a good way to select things. I
haven't tried this myself.

To create a popup frame is simple. Add a frame, named say 'TV Rose Panel'. Put it
wherever you want. Add buttons and make its default state hidden. Then create
a button with execute lua code (onDown) with the following action:

local Element = NetRemote.GetElementByName('TV Rose Panel')
local showing = Element:IsShowing()
if showing then
Element:Hide()
else
Element:Show()
end

I usually add a close button to the frame with the lua code

local Element = NetRemote.GetElementByName('TV Rose Panel')
Element:Hide()

jndreu
January 9th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it... I'll give the popup frame a try first as it looks to be the easiest approach.

On the topic of the AvidUtils plugin, is this some addional software I need to install or is it already embedded in NetRemote Designer? Is there any more documentation on this I can reference?

vitello
January 10th, 2010, 01:04 AM
The AvidUtils are documented in the NetRemote Designer manual. To apply them
to a button look under Component in the NetRemote Designer Properties menu.

Peter

Rob H
January 11th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Not called AvidUtils any more - I think it's Advanced components now