PDA

View Full Version : HTC HD2 as Netremote Client

blackswan
January 18th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Does anyone know if the new HTC HD2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 will work as a Netremote 2.0 client?

Also, are there any skins for it's 800x480 screen?

Mastiff
January 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Can't see why it shouldn't. I'm using a HD with a (mostly) HD2 6.5 ROM and it runs extremely fast and well.

Mastiff
January 23rd, 2010, 08:02 AM
I have gone over to a hacked HD2 ROM for my HD, and Girder still works. :) I think there may be a problem the day WM7 comes, but not before that. And that's starting to look a bit like Duke Nukem Forever! ;)

blackswan
January 31st, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hey

Just lashed out and bought a htc HD2 for AUD$944.00. What a disappointment. Three days of ongoing hassles. Out of the box locked up, and hung on "Comm Manager" trying to get wi-fi running. What a disgrace. Had to do a hard / Factory reset to get it going again. This is something that looks like a normal reset that needs to be done every few hours. Never even got close to trying to load Netremote/Mediabridge(Girder). What's the point if it does not provide a stable wi-fi platform?

Really disappointed in htc HD2. Loved a lot of what it has to offer (greart with Opera - usless with IE), but re wi-fi and netremore/mediada bridge forget about it - or just waist a lot of time. I'm done, ready to spend another $500 to get something that actually works - not just sales/marketing rubarb.

Would really appreciate other users' feedback - can it be this horrible?

Mastiff
January 31st, 2010, 10:57 AM
I find this very hard to believe, the HTC units the last 5-6 years have been very good as long as you didn't buy them before the first ROM update (before that they are sort of like a beta...). Did you do an update when you got it? Check if there are newer and better ROMs. Another thing is that I'm running a mostly HD2 ROM on my HD now, which in principle ought to be less stable than running the ROM on the unit it's made for, and it's rock solid. I do resets only when I have to, usually once a week or so, when I install or remove a program. Haven't had one lockup or other problems with this.

Mastiff
February 27th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Bought myself a HD2 one week ago (after I slipped on ice outside my house and the HD got between my ass and the ground - not a place you want to be! But the insurance covered it...), and I have had no such problems. Resets? Only when I install new programs. To be fair it complained about NetRemote crashing, but it's a false positive. Turning off the error reporting service made that go away. Working great now with NetRemote! Of course it took less than a week before I went to the latest Miri ROM from HTCPedia/XDA Developers instead of the original ROM, but that's because of a big annoyance which I don't know if is a bug or a feature (sometimes that's hard to decide...): The original ROM did not give me an SMS sent notification. I need to know that my SMS are at least sent out. With the Miri ROM the error reporting is turned off by default, so no problems there...

All in all this is the best phone/PDA I've ever had! It's a real dream come through for me. I watched the series "Beyond 2000" 20 years ago, when they were talking about wearable computers. At that time they said it would probably have glasses with LCD monitors in them and be hanging from the belt, with cables everywhere. Bulls**t! The HD 2 with it's 1 GHz Snapdragon and tons of RAM is the wearable computer!

ajocius
March 5th, 2010, 05:06 AM
Works great to me too. I have converted standard NetRemote skin in NetRemote designer. It does not look that cute, but who cares... It fills the whole screen, works quick and is stable.

blackswan, unfortunatelly it looks like you might have got broken device. Try to replace. If it is not possible, at least try to flash new ROM. By the way, in order to hard reset you need to do following: With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons, then press the END/POWER button shortly and release it. You will then see message on the screen. Then just follow what it says: Release the VOLUME UP and VOLUME DOWN buttons. Press the VOLUME UP button to perform the hard reset, or press any other button to cancel the reset.

The only issue I have had is that when using standard skin (new_pro 480X640), I was not able to get window sliding from left side to show up. The one with volume control and position within track control. While on PC, using same skin of NetRemote, I go to Listen To Music, and then on the left side there is a button Control. Clicking it makes new window to slide from left, but this Button does not work on HD2. Perhaps when resizing to 480X800 I did lost control somewhere in graphics.

ajocius
March 5th, 2010, 05:15 AM
by the way, if there is some great skin for 480X800 to play music from J.River, would be great to hear.

Rob H
March 5th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Check the NetRemote.log file for any Lua errors.

Mastiff
March 5th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Ajocious, I knew I had seen you some where else than on the XDA Developers board! ;) I have one that I use, but it's really not that fancy. But you can try it if you want to. Made for my Touch HD 1, but works on the HD2 as well.

Rob H, I think he may have a very early version of the ROM. That was probably a bit more unstable. Btw if he's still around I would recommend Miri's ROM wich is found in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=607437 I still have a problem with distortion in calls, but that may be fixed soon.

ajocius
March 9th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Ajocious, I knew I had seen you some where else than on the XDA Developers board! ;) I have one that I use, but it's really not that fancy. But you can try it if you want to. Made for my Touch HD 1, but works on the HD2 as well.

Rob H, I think he may have a very early version of the ROM. That was probably a bit more unstable. Btw if he's still around I would recommend Miri's ROM wich is found in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=607437 I still have a problem with distortion in calls, but that may be fixed soon.

Yes, Mastiff, remember you since HTPC articles in hw.no :) This is how I got hooked up to Netremote and Girder world and am happy camper since. Followed your HTPC advice and some other ideas. Gadget wise you are always ahead of me and choosing products that in most cases I find it at a sweet spot of cost/quality/functionality too. Except HD2, where it seems I pulled the trigger first ;)

I use another well known ROM by Dutty, not really early version:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=610634 Read about Miri ROM, that was great too, the choice was between those two and I went with Dutty. Hope this is not ROM problem, don't really enjoy updating ROM and putting back all apps I use. Or is there some kind of "Image for DOS" for WM devices, Mastiff?

I have loaded log, where there is some error related to Lua posted, hope that indicates where the problem is.

Rob H
March 9th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Looks like you may not have copied the .lua file for that CCF to the HD2.

ajocius
March 11th, 2010, 05:12 AM
you are absolutely right... this is a bit embarrasing from my side, sorry.

Rob H
March 11th, 2010, 05:27 AM
It's easily done.

Mastiff
March 11th, 2010, 03:44 PM
ajocius, all those ROM's use Tom's Autoinstall now, so I put all the software I need in a directory called "autoinsall" on the root of my micro SD, and they're installed when the phone is hard reset. Then I use a registry editor to import all the settings for them (which I exported from a version that was fully installed). Takes me 20 minutes or less to get everything back to where it should be. Main reason I chose Miri (except for that he's a very nice guy and has helped me solving an phone call sound distortion problem, but that came later) was that he made a version without HTC Messaging wcih I find hopelessly clumsy. I much prefer the standard Windows Mobile 6.5 messaging client.

blackswan
March 20th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Ended up getting the HD2 replaced with a new one - which did not crash and hang on CommManager. However, it was still very unstable on wi-fi, kept on dropping out. Would only last about 30-60 minutes before I would manually need to reconnect to my access point. My Dell xps notebook using the same access point does not drop out even after weeks of it being on - wi-fi and Netremote/Girder just works (wonderful). So I sent the htc HD2 back to the shop - as I can't put up with unstable wi-fi connections. In the mean time the notebook works perfectly, but it's a bit big - so still looking for a smartphone that works well with wi-fi - iphone appears to work out of the box - but does not have retremote app.

Any suggestions on client hardware?

Cheers
Blackswan

jesmin
August 16th, 2010, 10:38 PM
As a Net remote Client HTC Hd2 perform a very precious work that means it also do good work as the remote client . When it work as a client then it sends the sophisticated requests to the server and after getting the acknowledgment and replies then send to its own client..HTC HD2 (http://www.decalskin.com)