PDA

View Full Version : netremote

bignickjnr
January 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM
hi all new to this so sorry !! just bought downloaded netremote all cool and like it ,i have an ipaq rx 3715 , and was wondering as i have bought the lower end software i havent a ir choice for sending ir theres no direct out?? have i bought the wrong software or just not using it right , i have gone into properties but theres no option for direct ir only passthrough etc ?? thanks

mpg732
January 25th, 2010, 05:48 PM
I believe Netremote will no longer send the IR from the PPC, you need to link it to and IR sender like USBIRT. which conects to your server PC via USB Cable. What you realy need for all this is a host pc conected to a wirless network to conect to your wirless on your PPC. On the server PC you need to instal Netremote, MeadiaBridge and most will also buy Girder, and USBIRT.

bignickjnr
January 26th, 2010, 04:02 AM
hi thanks for the reply the only reason why i bought this software was the promise to send ir out of the port at the front of the unit , all my equipment is is the cupboard but i already have a pin holr reciever in my wall near my tv that sends and recives all ir to the equipment, if this is the case i have just wasted 20 on some nice graphics ?? if anyone knows of good software , i need ,
ir out the front port for controlling devices tv , amp ,video ( multimedia box)
also whilst i listen to music the 2 way interface like signal ,or mce so ican see music without turning on my tv , the music is hosted on a pc on the network , the video isd held on my freecommedia player and i need to turn on amp , input component . tv on tv component amp on amp component etc so i need software with macros many thanks

mpg732
January 26th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Well, I don't know why they took that out, IR from the PPC, but look at it this way, If you buy Girder and the USBIRT, its still cheeper then buying a nice color pronto or other IR remotes off of Ebay. You already have the PC for your music, you can use that to run every thing you need to get this up and running. However I will say this, If you forget about the music and are just useing a remote to controll IR devices, go buy the pronto remote, easier and quicker to set up. If you want the two way comunication and also planning on doing more home autiamation, then Netremote can do that for you..

NeoMorph
January 26th, 2010, 01:54 PM
MPG732, remember to use the USBUIRT you need Girder as well.

bignickjnr I'm afraid that there was a licence issue iirc that meant the direct IR module was removed. I may be wrong (my memory is like that guy on Quantum Leap... Swiss Cheesed).

I think that Netremote 2 + a Globalcache would work without the need for USBUIRT and Girder. Ron or Rob would be the ones to say with certainty...

bignickjnr
January 26th, 2010, 02:11 PM
thanks for all your replies guys can i not get the ir module anywhere so i can use the remote software as was intended to use the ir at the front of the ppc ? this seems ridiculous ?? as this is what sold me the software ?

mpg732
January 26th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Neo, please stop speed reading through my post, go back and see I mention GIRDER a few times, LOL

Over the years I have come across different apps for the PPC that will alow you to send IR, but they were all limited in some way or another. Im sure there is some way to get netremote to send IR from the PPC, but wouldn't know were to send you..

Rob H
January 27th, 2010, 09:39 AM
bignickjnr I'm afraid that there was a licence issue iirc that meant the direct IR module was removed. I may be wrong (my memory is like that guy on Quantum Leap... Swiss Cheesed).

Your memory is fine :) Our rights to the module that provided the direct IR was revoked by the developer for reasons that have never been entirely clear. Using Girder is a much more powerful and flexible solution, but it would have been nice to still have the option of using direct IR.

bignickjnr
January 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
thanks guys so it looks like ive been miss sold this app as i only wanted ir out from the ppc .....

NeoMorph
January 27th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Neo, please stop speed reading through my post, go back and see I mention GIRDER a few times, LOL

Over the years I have come across different apps for the PPC that will alow you to send IR, but they were all limited in some way or another. Im sure there is some way to get netremote to send IR from the PPC, but wouldn't know were to send you..

I meant that he would have to buy TWO items that way wheras if he bought a Globalcache he would only have to buy ONE item. On top of that if he goes the Girder/USBUIRT way he would have to have a PC running too. I was thinking in terms of what he would have to have running just get IR to his units.

Considering all he wanted was to turn his PPC into a Pronto affair it is a bit much to have to buy a USBUIRT and Girder and maybe even a PC to run it on when he went the budget $20 way of purchasing NetRemote. Not everyone is home automation mad like some of us here. ;)

So no, I didn't speed read through... I was just thinking of his budget.

mpg732
January 27th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Neo, I was just giveing you a hard time, LOL. Please dont take it the wrong way, just replying to what you said, quote, "MPG732, remember to use the USBUIRT you need Girder as well". I was just saying that I posted in an earlier post that he would indeed need girder and the USBIRT.

He already has the PC for his music, so girder and USBIRT will still be cheaper then buying a color pronto off of Ebay.