View Full Version : What kind of HW?

Peter Kaiser
February 23rd, 2010, 10:20 AM

By accident I discovered this interesting site and have a couple of questions.

Since all (or at least the ones I researched) AV Media Clients have a major lack of functionality and / or usability (control) I decided to enhance my AV system with a HTPC integrated in the rack.

Now I am looking to control my AV equipment and the HTPC with one device without spending tons of money for the Pronto TSU9800/TSU9600 device.

I understand that NetRemote will provide the required functionality, but I am slightly confused what I require in addition. Maybe one of you can support me.

Here is the equipment I use:
HTPC - running Windows 7 Home Premium
Denon AVR 3805
Denon DVD 3910
Panasonic TH-42PV60EH

PDA (not decided which brand and model)

With the PDA I want to control the Windows Media Center which seems no problem, but what about other applications on the HTPC (i.e. TV cards,...)?

In case the PDA has no IR transmitter (like the HP IPaQ114 / 214), what excatly do I need (Grinder plus Global Cache hardware)? Which devices exactly?

Thanks a lot in advance.


Rob H
February 23rd, 2010, 06:23 PM
NetRemote 2 doesn't support the IR hardware in the PDA anyway, so that's not really relevant. You will want a wifi connection built in (and some people have had some success with Bluetooth).

You will need Girder and either a GlobalCaché or a USB-UIRT - for the Denon 3805 I'd recommend using the serial connection from Girder (already supported in Girder). I'm not sure if the 3910 has a serial port or not, and if it does whether anyone has implemented serial control for it. You will need IR control for the Panasonic I think as most Panasonic TVs that I've come across don't have serial connections.

Peter Kaiser
February 24th, 2010, 03:45 AM
Hi Rob, thanks for your answer.

In the manual of Netremote2, chapter 4 it says:

NetRemote supports two types of CIR functionality.
1. Passthrough: In this mode, NetRemote holds the data describing the IR signals and
passes it through to another device for transmission.
2. Direct: The IR signal is transmitted directly from the NetRemote computer.
For Direct IR operation on the PPC, the built-in IRDA hardware is used with a special driver and this
driver requires an additional licence purchase (after a 30 day trial period).

Isn't the statement true?

Nevertheless, I clicked the ad on top of this forum page. "irtrans" provides a device which seems suitable to control my equipment via IR and Netremote2. So I could buy a HP IPAQ 114 without an IR transmitter.

Regards, Peter

Rob H
February 24th, 2010, 06:55 AM
Ouch, that manual is out of date - I'll have to fix that. The developer of the IR hardware plugin withdrew our rights to the license quite a while ago.

The IRTrans or USB-UIRT should both work nicely, but using the serial plugin with Girder is by far preferable giving you two-way control of the Denon, ie if you use the Denon's remote then you'll get status updates in NetRemote too.

Peter Kaiser
February 24th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I see - no IR support.

Makes life a little bit easier. I can choose any PDA with wifi capabilities and I do not need to consider the strength of the IR signal.

Regarding the serial 2-way control of equipment, I do not see the real benefit. The future control device should be the single point of control and other remotes shouldn't be used.

Thanks for your help.

Rob H
February 24th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Aside from the 2-way possibilities, serial control should be 100% reliable - with IR you can get interference from e.g. fluorescent lighting, strong sunlight and even some plasma screens. It also more easily allows you to hide e.g. the Denon receiver out of sight without needing IR repeaters.

But, obviously, it's your choice.