PDA

View Full Version : Driver for RFXmitter by RFXCOM released

Tieske8
April 8th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Hi All,

Today I released the new driver I wrote for the RFXmitter by RFXCOM. Any questions or bugs can be dropped here. Its still very rough, I only own some X10 and HomeEasy stuff, hence thats the only part that got some decent testing.

Current version is 0.3

WHAT'S INCLUDED

================

initialization, with or without handshake
device version reporting
support for COM port connections only (see link below, check the redirector driver availability for your platform!!)
support for the following protocols

Flamingo
HomeEasy HE105 heater
ATI Remote Wonder II (remote control emulation)
ATI Remote Wonder Plus (remote control emulation)
Medion (remote control emulation)
PCremote (remote control emulation)
Robocam/Ninja
ARC protocol (wheel based devices by, amongst others; KlikAanKlikUit, NEXA, Proove, Domia Lite, ByeByeStandBy, ELRO AB600, Intertechno, Duwi)
Waveman
Harrison curtains
X10 Lighting (On, Off, All On, All Off, Dim, Bright)
HomeEasy (UK and EU) with automatic code (and compatible formats; KlikAanKlikUit, NEXA, etc.)

WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED

====================

setting protocol repeat values
support for direct-LAN connected RFXmitter. COM port connections only (see link below, check the redirector driver availability for your platform!!)
support for the following protocols

DM10 motion sensor emulation
RFXsensor emulation
X10 security
DigiMax
Cheapertronics
RFXmeter emulation
Ikea Koppla

If support is needed for any of these, then drop your request here and I'll see what I can do.

NOTE: the devices with a LAN interface (RFXLAN) now have an xPL firmware available which can be used in Girder using the xPLGirder plugin/component, see this post. (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?21186-RFXCOM-receiver-and-transmitter-support-in-Girder)

==================
Edit 17-May-2010: Today I moved the downloads, as I'm unable to get them updated on the promixis site.
Edit 13-Sep-2010: Link to COM port redirector (http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html) (free for 32 bit version, small fee for the 64 bit version)
Edit 09-Apr-2011: Update to version 0.3
Edit 07-Jun-2011: added note regarding RFXLAN with xPL.

Downloads are here: http://www.thijsschreijer.nl/blog/?page_id=211

ATWindsor
April 19th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Very nice, does it also work with the NEXA auto-learn products?

b_weijenberg
April 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Yes, it wil also work for NEXA and Chacon auto-learn modules.

ATWindsor
April 19th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Yes, it wil also work for NEXA and Chacon auto-learn modules.

Thanks a lot for the feedback, will be ordering the LAN-version today :)

ATWindsor
May 1st, 2010, 09:57 AM
Hello, I have gotten the LAN-version in the mail today, but I am struggling a bit, I followed the instructions in the read-me file, so the plugin is installed. I have the Lan version of the rfxcom, with a reciever and transmitter. I know the IP of the device, and I have in girder settings chosen COMport 5 for the rfxcom-device. However, I am a bit stuck now.

First of all, do i need the Lantronix Comportdirector to run? It does not support my OS (wich is vista 64 bit). Hopefully, the answer is no. In girder, what do i do now? If i have a switch that the rfxcom-device can communicate with, how do i get the signal into girder, and trigger an event when the switch is pressed? In the action-window, i can create a send event action, but there are no available choices in the pulldown-menu. Sorry if theese are very stupid questions, but i am totally new to to the device, and I am not very advanced in using girder5 either.

b_weijenberg
May 1st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Girder needs a COM port redirector as the plugins do not have a TCP/IP interface.

ATWindsor
May 1st, 2010, 01:28 PM
Girder needs a COM port redirector as the plugins do not have a TCP/IP interface.

Dammit, thats a pretty big bummer, as I have a 64-bit OS, and the com port redirection program is only available in 32-bit. Thanks for the feedback anyway, hopefully I am able to find a solution to that problem (and get back to you with more questions later :))

Rob H
May 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
The other possibility is a rewrite of the driver to use a transport device rather than a plain serial device. That should permit direct access to the TCP/IP connection or a serial connection.

ATWindsor
May 2nd, 2010, 10:00 AM
Ok, so I have tried to install with a 32 bit OS,i have redirected the com-port, and things seem to be working on that front. I am still a bit stumped though.

1. I have nexa self-learing equipment, i have tried to create a new action that sends a on-signal to the nexa dimmer, using "HomeeasyEUpreset" as i assumed this is the closest to NEXA. I just used a random adress, and device number, pressed self learn on the dimmer and tested the action. Is this the right way to do it? Unfortantly it didnīt work for me. I presumed the dimmer would work with any random adress, as the buttons that it is supposed to learn from can have any given adress.

2. The output-part i feel i am pretty close to getting to work, but what about input? I donīt even know where to begin when it comes to getting input, from for instances nexa switches, OWL power meter, or ati remote.

Tieske8
May 2nd, 2010, 02:48 PM
First of all, do i need the Lantronix Comportdirector to run? It does not support my OS (wich is vista 64 bit). Hopefully, the answer is no.
unfortunately the answer is yes, the Girder driver is a COM-port based device

In the action-window, i can create a send event action, but there are no available choices in the pulldown-menu.
Can you check the variable window (you can make it visible through the view menu). First click the refresh button and then check for a table called "RFXmitter", within that table there should be a "Protocols" table. Are these available?
If not then probably the driver was not loaded.
The driver actually consists of 2 parts; the serial driver (which builds the "Protocols" table), and a treescript action (which uses the "Protocols" table)

Sorry if theese are very stupid questions, but i am totally new to to the device, and I am not very advanced in using girder5 either.
No problem, glad someone is using the device and can help pinpoint the bugs.

The other possibility is a rewrite of the driver to use a transport device rather than a plain serial device. That should permit direct access to the TCP/IP connection or a serial connection.
I have been investigating that option, but there are three issues;
1) I only have a USB version myself, so have no test capability
2) documentation is pretty tough. I went through some examples provided, but there seems to be no clear overview of the object model used.
3) time.... to code it using the transport model

If I find some spare time in the coming weeks, I'll have another look at it.

Tieske8
May 2nd, 2010, 03:38 PM
Ok, so I have tried to install with a 32 bit OS,i have redirected the com-port, and things seem to be working on that front. I am still a bit stumped though.
From your post I understand that the dropdown boxes are now filled with choices. So that part is working. I assume that Girder will not allow a device with a non-existing COM-port (where you used COM port 5). But thats solved now.

1. I have nexa self-learing equipment, i have tried to create a new action that sends a on-signal to the nexa dimmer, using "HomeeasyEUpreset" as i assumed this is the closest to NEXA. I just used a random adress, and device number, pressed self learn on the dimmer and tested the action. Is this the right way to do it?
Yes, thats the right way to do it. But there are 4 options; the EU and UK versions, and the 'Preset' versus non-preset versions.
Preset versions are to be used with the dimmers with an automatic code, switches should use the non-Preset protocol.
Whether you need the HomeEasyUK or the HomeEasyEU, I can't tell, if EU doesn't work, try the UK version. In your case a dimmer, so the HomeEasyUKpreset protocol.

2. The output-part i feel i am pretty close to getting to work, but what about input? I donīt even know where to begin when it comes to getting input, from for instances nexa switches, OWL power meter, or ati remote.
Can't help you there, the driver only support the RFXmitter, not the receivers. But there is some support available in Girder5.

ATWindsor
May 3rd, 2010, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i will do some experimenting with the home-easyUK, and see if i can get it to work.

Tieske8
May 3rd, 2010, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the feedback, i will do some experimenting with the home-easyUK, and see if i can get it to work.
If it doesn't work, sent me a PM with your email address please, because we probably need to do some debugging.

Tieske8
May 8th, 2010, 02:19 AM
i will do some experimenting with the home-easyUK, and see if i can get it to work.
any updates?

Tieske8
May 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Relased an updated version today. Version 0.2 contains the following fixes;

Fixed HomeEasy EU, UK-preset & EU-preset, bug
Fixed group commands HomeEasy EU & UK
Added experimental protocol for testing (only for specifically prepared devices!)
Improved verbose information on status and versions
Fixed bug SendRFXCommand function

The latest version can be downloaded here (http://www.thijsschreijer.nl/blog/?page_id=211) (please note: download location changed!)

Solosid
May 17th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Does this driver/plugin allow you to control all home easy products?

cheers

Mark

Tieske8
May 18th, 2010, 12:56 AM
'All' is a lot, so thats not a statement I'm going to make. But what equipment do you have?

It supports the 'wheel based' and the 'automatic code' type protocols. Switches, dimmers, and the 'heater' (the HE105 if I remember correctly).

As said, 'All' is a lot, but certainly most of them.

Solosid
May 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
I dont have any yet!!!

I have been looking for something that is readily available in the UK...and which will integrate into girder (and to which somebody else has started)

will it operate the door lock? HE106

do you need to buy the remote? HE100

what do i need to buy other than Homeeasy stuff?

I presume it will do all switches and sockets including pendant HE206

I leave it there for now....

cheers

Mark

Tieske8
May 19th, 2010, 12:18 AM
will it operate the door lock? HE106
The RFXmitter mimics the commands send by the regular HE remotes, the HE106 can be operated by the HE100, so yes, it can be controlled.

do you need to buy the remote? HE100

what do i need to buy other than Homeeasy stuff?
You could use the HE100, but is not required. But consider that the RFXmitter is only sending commands. So if you modify the "state" of any device using a regular HE remote (the HE100 for example). Then Girder won't know. If you want to be able to track the commands being sent by other remotes then you would also require the RFXCOM receiver. Please check the other posts in the forum regarding the support for those receivers (I didn't write them)

I presume it will do all switches and sockets including pendant HE206
As mentioned above, it mimics the HE remotes, so as long as a device is operated by a wheel based code or an automatic code, the RFXmitter can be used to control it.

b_weijenberg
May 19th, 2010, 12:20 AM
will it operate the door lock? HE106 ===> YES

do you need to buy the remote? HE100 ===> NO

what do i need to buy other than Homeeasy stuff? ===> see below

I presume it will do all switches and sockets including pendant HE206 ===> YES

In addition to HomeEasy stuff you need:
USB 433.92MHz RFXmitter http://www.rfxcom.com/transmitters.htm#89002
Or one of the LAN/WLAN RFXmitter versions.

If you want to receive HE remotes and wireless wall switches you need the 433.92MHz RFXCOM receiver, but I don't know if the receiver is fully supported by Girder:
USB 433.92MHz receiver http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#80002
Add the optional 89000 CM119 receiving capability.
Add an optional 868.95MHz Visonic receiver. http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#40079

Or select a LAN receiver+RFXmitter:
433.92MHz receiver http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#80002 and select a 2 port LAN 83003
Add the optional 89000 CM119 receiving capability.
Add the RFXmitter http://www.rfxcom.com/transmitters.htm#89031
Add an optional 868.95MHz Visonic receiver. http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#40079

Note:
Do not use HE motion sensors or HE door/window sensors. They work perfect in a stand-alone environment but not in combination with Home Automation.
The reason is that those sensors produce for several seconds a lot of RF traffic and other RF signals are disturbed.

Bert

Solosid
June 19th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Hi Bert,

do i need this

433.92MHz receiver http://www.rfxcom.com/receivers.htm#80002 and select a 2 port LAN 83003

and

Add the RFXmitter http://www.rfxcom.com/transmitters.htm#89031

and what do i gain from adding

cheers

Mark

b_weijenberg
June 19th, 2010, 10:43 AM
That is valid configuration:
83003 - 2 port LAN 433.92MHz receiver
89031 - 433.92MHz RFXmitter
40079 - 868.95MHz receiver for Visonic

The Visonic receiver enables you to receive Visonic PowerCode sensors. The Visonic sensor data is translated by the receiver to X10 security sensor format.
BT VP1000 is the same as Visonic PowerMax.

Solosid
July 3rd, 2010, 02:32 PM
Hi All,

Just ordered all the RFXCOM stuff,

Had delivery of some home easy stuff....

can anybody reccommend a comport redirector programme?

cheers

Mark

Solosid
July 10th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hi All,

Will the HE-104 (Signal Booster) work with the RFXmitter by passing on what it sends out

Cheers

Mark

Tieske8
July 11th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Hi All,

Will the HE-104 (Signal Booster) work with the RFXmitter by passing on what it sends out

Cheers

Mark

RFXmitter just send signals identical to the HE remotes, so; yes it will work.

But... all transmitters are relative shortrange, that is due to legal requirements. You might want to consider mounting a different antenna on the RFXmitter to achieve a better range. For example a groundplane like this (http://www.conrad-international.com/433-MHz-ground-plane-antenna.htm?websale7=conrad-int&pi=190073&ci=SHOP_AREA_17364_2401020). They may not be sold like that, yet no one is stopping you from mounting one yourself.

Solosid
July 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM

Can you recommend one?

Cheers

Mark

b_weijenberg
July 20th, 2010, 11:20 AM
This CPR can be used http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/utilities-tools/com-port-redirector.html

It runs only on 32 bit systems: Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 Server !!

Solosid
July 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hi All,

I now have everything here....I have not installed anything yet as my drive is side mounted in my rack and the small disk keeps slipping

i have asked RXF for them to send me the details by email, or does anybody know a download location.

It came with no documentation so not sure whether to install unit first or disk first?

As soon as they get back to me i will start installing....

cheers

Mark

Tieske8
July 22nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
I now have everything here....I have not installed anything yet as my drive is side mounted in my rack and the small disk keeps slipping

Did you order the LAN version? I have a USB myself, but as far as I know, you can just connect it to your network and configure it (assume it has a webinterface). On your system you can download the COM port redirector and configure it. I think thats all there is to it.

Solosid
July 22nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Hi All,

Dont get this at all.....

it wont allow me to download the DeviceInstaller...keeps asking for NET Fr...4

I have vista 32bit and it seems to be trying to download 64bit
I can find no way of finding a 32bit or bypassing the download.

any ideas

Mark

Tieske8
July 23rd, 2010, 12:03 AM
Hi Mark, Can you be more specific?

it wont allow me
who/what is 'it'

the DeviceInstaller
what device installer

NET Fr...
is there an issue why you cannot install a .NET framework?

b_weijenberg
July 23rd, 2010, 02:05 AM
Mark,

The DeviceInstaller runs on 32bits systems.
Contact support rfxcom.com if you need help to get it installed.

Bert

Solosid
July 23rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Hi Mark, Can you be more specific?

who/what is 'it'?

the software sent by RFX was on a small cd... my drive is side mounted
I asked for them to send by email which they did...

I have read the supporting documentation also sent and tried to follow it, It says download and install DeviceInstaller... then it first asks for NET framework 4...everytime I try to install it says corrupt file and fails.
the installation of DeviceInstaller then fails.

what device installer

DeviceInstaller is a program from Lantronix, I have no idea what it does or if I need it?

is there an issue why you cannot install a .NET framework?

not that I know of, even going to Microsoft direct the installation of .NET framework 4 fails...corrupt file?

I have the unit installed and have managed to open the web gui by typing in the ip address and hitting return on the login details

I have added a port and configured it as in the PDF

In CPR Manager it shows up now as COM11 but it says com status 'closed'

I have no idea what im doing or what i am supposed to be doing, so any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Mark

Tieske8
July 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM
the software sent by RFX was on a small cd... my drive is side mounted
I asked for them to send by email which they did...

I have read the supporting documentation also sent and tried to follow it, It says download and install DeviceInstaller... then it first asks for NET framework 4...everytime I try to install it says corrupt file and fails.
the installation of DeviceInstaller then fails.
Don't know about that, didn't even know RFXcom had a software enclosure, but I suppose it contains the com port redirector.

DeviceInstaller is a program from Lantronix, I have no idea what it does or if I need it?
That would be the comport redirector I guess. It emulates a local COM port on your PC, allowing applications to talk to a COM port, on the backend, it transmits the data over an ethernet connection to the RFXcom device. Many devices, ethernet or USB connected, use similar approaches. The RFXmitter driver for Girder only talks to COM ports, hence you need the redirector.

not that I know of, even going to Microsoft direct the installation of .NET framework 4 fails...corrupt file?
That seems like a local issue, check the microsoft site on how to fix that. If the software works, you might not even have to fix it.

I have the unit installed and have managed to open the web gui by typing in the ip address and hitting return on the login details

I have added a port and configured it as in the PDF

In CPR Manager it shows up now as COM11 but it says com status 'closed'

Seems to me you configured it properly. Install the Girder driver for the RFXmitter, just follow the instructions, use COM11 for the Com-port.
If you then press F4 to show the girder log and F11 to reset the scripting engine you should see some log entries by RFXmitter.
Some thing like;

Time Date Source Details Payloads
07:57:59:716 7/24/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 80 (0x50).
07:57:59:716 7/24/2010 RFXmitter Initialization completed, without handshake
07:57:59:716 7/24/2010 RFXmitter Sending initialization (F0 37 F0 37)
07:57:59:716 7/24/2010 RFXmitter RFXmitter starting, driver version 0.2

If that's the case, you're up and running.

b_weijenberg
July 24th, 2010, 01:21 AM
In the document, sent to you last Thursday, the installation of the interface is described in chapter 4.4 and 4.6

You should have created 2 COM ports in CPR. One using port 10001 (receiver) and one using port 10002 (RFXmitter)
You can test the receiver/transmitter using the RFreceiver and RFXmitter programs also sent to you in the CD.zip.txt file!

If you need further help please CONTACT SUPPORT AT RFXCOM.COM

Tieske8
July 24th, 2010, 05:09 AM
ok, I'm learning too... :)

Solosid
July 24th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Hi Bert,

I didnt know i had to set seperate com ports up.... thankyou

that is done now.

when i click on Com11 test (10001) com status is closed
when pressing open it returns 'error'

yet in the RFreceiver program supplied by RXfcom i see traffic like this when testing a light

in Com12 it says the same but I see no traffic in the RFXmitter program

I will also contact RXF support, but its also nice to keep problems and solutions open for others to search in the small hours.

in the RFXmitter program supplied I dont see a HomeEasy Tab! Should I?

Cheers

Mark

b_weijenberg
July 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Channel 2 in the LAN interface should be set to 4800bd, 8 bits, no parity (and important) 2 stop bits! See the LAN document.

The AC tab is the new code used in the HomeEasy products with Automatic Code (learning mode)
The ARC tab is the old code normally used for the HomeEasy units with address wheels but can also be used in the AC units. This ARC mode does not support dim level settings.

Solosid
July 24th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Hi All,

this is the message I see in G5

23:46:16:804 7/24/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Codes returned (40 00): NORESPONSETIMEOUT

any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
July 24th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Channel 2 in the LAN interface should be set to 4800bd, 8 bits, no parity (and important) 2 stop bits! See the LAN document.

Hi Bert thats exactly how its set...

so just to clarify

RFreceiver is Com 11...4800,8,N,1 which is 10001
RFXmitter is Com 12...4800,8,N,2 which is 10002

does that seem right

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
July 24th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Hi All,

after a bit of a play I have the RFreceiver showing the commands the RFXmitter is sending out, im actually turning a light on and off.

but I still dont have G5 controlling the light

it shows the event in the log but thats it

cheers

Mark

Tieske8
July 25th, 2010, 02:15 PM
23:46:16:804 7/24/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Codes returned (40 00): NORESPONSETIMEOUT

The driver can't connect to the RFXmitter (at least doesn't get a response), but you probably figured that from the message itself. From your other messages I can only assume that the comport redirector isn't working yet.

I think its best to first get the RFXmitter program by RFXcom up and running, its easier testing with that application. Once you have that working, you know for sure that you've configured the comport redirector properly. After that try and configure Girder.

Tieske8
July 25th, 2010, 02:24 PM
after a bit of a play I have the RFreceiver showing the commands the RFXmitter is sending out, im actually turning a light on and off.
Sorry, I missed this post. So you can switch a light on/off using the RFXmitter program.
Then make sure that within girder (as per instructions) you configure the right com port for the RFXmitter.

2 questions;
1) Can you drop the initialization log messages here? Should be something like this;

07:57:59:716 7/24/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 80 (0x50).
07:57:59:716 7/24/2010 RFXmitter Initialization completed, without handshake
07:57:59:716 7/24/2010 RFXmitter Sending initialization (F0 37 F0 37)
07:57:59:716 7/24/2010 RFXmitter RFXmitter starting, driver version 0.2

2) What HomeEasy equipment do you use; the UK version or the EU version? I've tested the EU version to be working as I have that equipment myself, but for the UK version, it might be a bug...

Solosid
July 25th, 2010, 04:09 PM
Hi,

This is some of the log....

22:06:54:882 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 7 (0x07).
22:06:54:783 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Error requesting the device version. Request results; Data received (14 bytes): 78 EA 07 B9 39 00 00 00 27 2B FF 5F FD 20.Codes returned (01): RXCHAR
22:06:42:882 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 120 (0x78).
22:06:36:877 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 7 (0x07).
22:06:36:776 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Error requesting the device version. Request results; Data received (14 bytes): 78 EA 00 B9 39 00 00 00 20 4B FF 5F 1D 20.Codes returned (01): RXCHAR
22:06:18:876 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 120 (0x78).
22:05:54:886 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 0 (0x00).
22:05:54:785 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Initialization completed, without handshake
22:05:48:889 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (16 bytes): 78 EA 08 B9 3C 00 00 00 2B 22 FF 5F 1D 21 97 07.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT
22:05:42:886 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (16 bytes): 78 EA 09 B9 38 00 00 00 28 A9 FF 5F 3D 21 17 07.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT
22:05:36:883 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (16 bytes): 78 EA 00 B9 3B 00 00 00 22 CF FF 5F 1D 20 77 07.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT
22:05:30:887 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (16 bytes): 78 EA 01 B9 3A 00 00 00 22 2E FF 5F 3D 20 57 07.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT

I hope it helps

Mark

Solosid
July 25th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Hi,

Home Easy UK stuff I have is

HE105...not installed yet...now installed
HE106...not installed yet...now installed
HE420...installed
HE104 booster
HE302s installed
HE304 installed
HE209 installed
HE202s installed
HE330sv2 installed (3no)
HE204
HE305

hope that helps

can you upload a screen shot of how the command send should look when filled in

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
July 25th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Hi All,

For anybody else testing this it must be noted that you cannot have
Girder running the Plugin and the RFreceiver or RFXmitter program running at the same time

this is quite logical after 4 hours of wondering why I had lost my COM's. (and help from RFXCOM support)

I hope this helps somebody....

Cheers

Mark

Tieske8
July 26th, 2010, 01:03 AM
can you upload a screen shot of how the command send should look when filled in

Check my Girder page (http://www.thijsschreijer.nl/blog/?page_id=211), there is a screenie.

Tieske8
July 26th, 2010, 01:09 AM
22:06:54:882 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 7 (0x07).
22:06:54:783 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Error requesting the device version. Request results; Data received (14 bytes): 78 EA 07 B9 39 00 00 00 27 2B FF 5F FD 20.Codes returned (01): RXCHAR
22:06:42:882 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 120 (0x78).
22:06:36:877 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 7 (0x07).
22:06:36:776 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Error requesting the device version. Request results; Data received (14 bytes): 78 EA 00 B9 39 00 00 00 20 4B FF 5F 1D 20.Codes returned (01): RXCHAR
22:06:18:876 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 120 (0x78).
22:05:54:886 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Ready (without handshake). Device version 0 (0x00).
22:05:54:785 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Initialization completed, without handshake
22:05:48:889 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (16 bytes): 78 EA 08 B9 3C 00 00 00 2B 22 FF 5F 1D 21 97 07.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT
22:05:42:886 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (16 bytes): 78 EA 09 B9 38 00 00 00 28 A9 FF 5F 3D 21 17 07.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT
22:05:36:883 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (16 bytes): 78 EA 00 B9 3B 00 00 00 22 CF FF 5F 1D 20 77 07.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT
22:05:30:887 7/25/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (16 bytes): 78 EA 01 B9 3A 00 00 00 22 2E FF 5F 3D 20 57 07.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT

It seesm you're getting more data from the comport than is expected. Have you set the comport to the RFXmitter and not the Receiver?

attached a screenshot of the data from the RFXmitter program and the Girder log with the matching values. They should be the same.

Tieske8
July 26th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Girder running the Plugin and the RFreceiver or RFXmitter program running at the same time

this is quite logical after 4 hours of wondering why I had lost my COM's. (and help from RFXCOM support)

thx for the feedback, does this mean you're up and running now?

b_weijenberg
July 26th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Mark,

For sure, you have COM11 assigned which is the receiver COM port. Data displayed is from the OWL CM113.
You have to configure COM12 for the RFXmitter in Girder.

Bert

Solosid
July 26th, 2010, 06:25 AM
thx for the feedback, does this mean you're up and running now?

Hi Tieske,

No girder is not controlling the HomeEasy stuff

12:19:31:066 7/26/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (12 bytes): 22 03 DB 31 80 00 22 03 DB 31 80 00.Codes returned (20 00): INCOMPLETERESPONSETIMEOUT

not sure what it means?

I know 03DB3180 is the code for the light when using RFxmitter program

I dont know how to enter this in the girder plugin box

I have tried various combinations but still no sucess...

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
July 26th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Hi All,

i have disabled the G5 plugin so i could try and grab some codes though the programs supplied with the RFXCom unit

if i send a text to the SMS unit the code comes out as

228D1E6E1800 light on
228D1E6E0800 light off

if I use the HE300w remote the code comes out as

2203DB319000 light on
2203DB318000 light off

I presuming the 228 and 220 part would be the sending unit identifier

then the next 6 digits is the address code for the unit

and then the 00... not sure what thats for

Questions,

Why does it have 2 different address codes?

Does it matter which one I try and use?

Copied from RFXmitter log

Init cmd to transmitter => F037F037
2203DB319000
2203DB319000
48EA00B9000000001486 (light on with remote)

2203DB318000 (light off with remote)

228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800
228D1E6E1800 (light on with text)

228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800
228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800228D1E6E0800 (light off with text)

cheers

Mark

Tieske8
July 26th, 2010, 09:33 AM
I presuming the 228 and 220 part would be the sending unit identifier

then the next 6 digits is the address code for the unit

and then the 00... not sure what thats for

Questions,

Why does it have 2 different address codes?

Does it matter which one I try and use?

You can't presume that.

Have you checked the comment by Bert;

Mark,

For sure, you have COM11 assigned which is the receiver COM port. Data displayed is from the OWL CM113.
You have to configure COM12 for the RFXmitter in Girder.

Bert

Because, as Bert states, the byte sequence in your logs (which RFXmitter tries to interpret as a response on the initialisation commands) look like an OWL command. Thats an inbound signal, hence the byte code is probably coming in from the RECEIVER and not from the RFXMITTER. The only thing the RFXMITTER sends back is an acknowledgement code. So it seems RFXmitter driver is talking to the RECEIVER.

Questions:
1) in settings, plugins header, plugins tab; is 'Generic Serial' enabled?
2) in settings, plugins header, serial tab; which COM ports have a device discription shown?
3) in COM port redirector; what COM port does the receiver connect to?
4) in COM port redirector; what COM port does the RFXmitter connect to?

we'll get there :)

Solosid
July 26th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Y
Questions:
1) in settings, plugins header, plugins tab; is 'Generic Serial' enabled?

yes

2) in settings, plugins header, serial tab; which COM ports have a device discription shown?

was 11 now 12

not sure how to tell the difference

4) in COM port redirector; what COM port does the RFXmitter connect to?

see above

we'll get there :)

I know we will

Tieske8
July 27th, 2010, 02:31 AM

was 11 now 12
Whats the result of changing this? any changes to what you see in the log? (make sure to reset the lua scripting engine in Girder, just-in-case, after changing parameters)

By the way; when you succesfully used the RFXmitter program, what COM port did you connect to? Girder should be configured to use the same port.

not sure how to tell the difference
@bert; isn't this configured through the network ports being used? a different network port for each virtual COM port? can you email me the DeviceInstaller? so I can have a look at its configuration options?

Solosid
July 28th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hi,

Im still getting this in the Girder log

23:09:11:463 7/28/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Codes returned (40 00): NORESPONSETIMEOUT

Cheers
Mark

Tieske8
August 2nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
Mark,

I've been thinking this over and it gets harder and harder to pinpoint a cause of this error.

From what I saw in the screenshot you posted (and removed again), you have the RFXmitter program connected to COM12. And it was working, eg. you were able to turn lights on/off.

One thing not yet covered is other Girder devices. So can you run some tests;
1) remove the RFXMitter from Girder (in the serial tab, remove it) and close Girder
2) start RFXmitter and make sure you can switch a light on/off
3) close rfxmitter (so it releases COM12), start Girder but don't do anything. Now start RFXmitter again and see if you can again switch a light on/off on COM12. With Girder in the background, just to make sure that some other Girder component doesn't grab COM12.
Its important to run the sequence exactly in the order described.

Solosid
August 2nd, 2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Tieske,

PM sent for reason for removal!

I am having an amazing amount of difficlty understanding this RF stuff

with IR you copy the code and emulate it with whatever divice you have.

1. Is RF not like that?

2. What am I missing?, it cant be this difficult surely.

Mark

b_weijenberg
August 2nd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Mark,

The order is normally that you configure a HE unit in the software with a (random selected) device code. You push the learn button on the HE device and you send an ON command. This HE unit will be paired to the device configured in the software.

Bert

Solosid
August 2nd, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Bert,

That doesn't seem to work....

this is the exact sequence I do

1. open RFXmitter
2. connect to Com12 for port 10002
3. mode select, dont use handshake with receiver

this is the code it logs

Init cmd to transmitter => F037F037
ACK=> 37

4. go to the AC page
5. enter any config (not sure what to do with the last two digits, chose 80)
6. press learn on the 'test socket'
7.press 'on' in the RFXmitter program

is that the right sequence...because nothing happens...

also does the girder plugin 'emulate' a rf signal by using the 'bits'?

cheers

Mark

b_weijenberg
August 2nd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Mark,

The sequence you use is correct.

If the HE unit has 6 remotes (programming with an RFXmitter code is seen as a remote) it does not accept more remotes.
You can clear the HE unit by pressing and keep the program button for about 10 seconds until the LED starts blinking, release the button and press it immediately again. This will remove all remotes from the HE unit.

If you transmit a command with RFXmitter without using the handshake with the receiver you should see the transmitted packet in RFreceiver connected to the receiver on COM 11 and the red LED on the RFXmitter should blink indicating it transmits a RF signal.

Sent you an email too.

Bert

Solosid
August 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Hi Tieske,

The problem seems to have been narrowed down to the girder plugin.

I have RFXmitter controlling most of my HomeEasy stuff. (thanks goes to the support at RFXCOM)

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
August 2nd, 2010, 05:45 PM
Hi Tieske,

I have printed out the RFXmitter driver.lua

And if you look at line 66 it seems some code
Has been commented out?

-- ReceiveTerminator = serial.hexobyte ("33"),

Haven't had chance to look on the pc yet... Bedtime reading...

Cheers

Mark

Tieske8
August 3rd, 2010, 03:08 PM
Hi Tieske,

I have printed out the RFXmitter driver.lua

And if you look at line 66 it seems some code
Has been commented out?

-- ReceiveTerminator = serial.hexobyte ("33"),

Haven't had chance to look on the pc yet... Bedtime reading...

Cheers

Mark

Its in the initialization part, the full 2 code lines are;

-- ReceiveTerminator = serial.hextobyte ("33"), -- Use the handshake signals XRTS-XCTS (receiver connected)
ReceiveTerminator = serial.hextobyte ("37"), -- Don't use the handshake signals XRTS-XCTS (no receiver connected)

All it does is setting the default NOT using a handshake (2nd line), if you would switch the comment to the other line, all you do is changing the default.

Tieske8
August 3rd, 2010, 03:17 PM
Mark,

I've been thinking this over and it gets harder and harder to pinpoint a cause of this error.

From what I saw in the screenshot you posted (and removed again), you have the RFXmitter program connected to COM12. And it was working, eg. you were able to turn lights on/off.

1) remove the RFXMitter from Girder (in the serial tab, remove it) and close Girder
3) close rfxmitter (so it releases COM12), start Girder but don't do anything. Now start RFXmitter again and see if you can again switch a light on/off on COM12. With Girder in the background, just to make sure that some other Girder component doesn't grab COM12.

Mark,

I didn't see an explicit answer on this one; have you tried it and what are the results?

Solosid
August 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
Mark,

I didn't see an explicit answer on this one; have you tried it and what are the results?

HI Tieske,

right I have tried this just now exactly as you said.....

I can connect to COM12 when Girder is not running and switch a light on and off.

when girder is running (even with COM12 released in the serial tab) RFXmitter
does not even show COM12 available...

cheers

Mark

Solosid
August 3rd, 2010, 04:49 PM
Hi Tieske,

The problem seems to have been narrowed down to the girder plugin.

I have RFXmitter controlling most of my HomeEasy stuff. (thanks goes to the support at RFXCOM)

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

Hi All,

Just for anybody who has found there way to this site trying to solve the problem with the RFXmitter program not controlling your HomeEasy kit....

this is how support at RFXCOM and I solved the problem...

TEST THIS SEQUENCE ON 1 RECIEVER MODULE

1. reset the reciever so it has no stored remotes in the memory.
2. open the RFXmitter program
3. connect to the correct com port (you should know this 'off by heart' now)
4. click 'mode select'---- choose 'Dont use a handshake...'
5. click on the AC tab (this is for HomeEasy Automatic Codes)
6. choose a code (yes simply choose a code...but not 00-00-00-00)
7. write this code down with reference to which reciever it controls
8. press learn on the reciever (or plug in so the led flashes)
9. press 'ON' on the RFXmitter screen

the reciever module should now be paired to the code in the AC tab of the RFXmitter program.

after this you can then pair you reciever module with the original remotes if desired.

bearing in mind to check wether your module can store 6 remotes or only 3

I hope this helps somebody in the future and a big thankyou goes to the support at RFXCOM, there product works....

cheers

Mark

Solosid
August 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Mark,

Hi Tieske,

Also if I have the RFXmitter program connected to COM12 then start Girder
I can still control a switch with the RFXmitter program.

Cheers

Mark

Tieske8
August 4th, 2010, 01:17 AM
when girder is running (even with COM12 released in the serial tab) RFXmitter
does not even show COM12 available...

The RFXmitter program only shows available COM ports. The thing with COM ports is that only 1 (part of an) application at any given time can connect to it.
So, if you cannot connect to the COM port if Girder was started first, then Girder grabbed the COM port.

Now if you did disable the RFXmitter driver in Girder, then we're closing in on the problem as there is some other driver/utility/program or whatever in Girder that is grabbing the COM12 port, just before the RFXmitter driver can grab it.

You should thoroughly check all options and settings, both in the settings dialog as in the component manager for any kind of stuff that is configured on COM12. Just try and disable as much as you can, but reenable the RFXmitter driver and then check whats happening.

Similar to your previous post;

Hi All,

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
August 5th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Hi Tieske,

Can i simply configure to a new virtual com port?

say port 21 and 22?

Cheers

Mark

Tieske8
August 5th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Tieske,

Can i simply configure to a new virtual com port?

say port 21 and 22?

Cheers

Mark

That would be the quickest route I guess. Define a new virtual COM port, then test with the RFXmitter.exe test program. If that works, shutdown the RFXmitter.exe test program, start Girder and reconfigure the RFXmitter driver on the 'serial' tab to the new virtual COM port.
You should then also check the Girder eventlog and lua console for messages of some other device that still tries to connect to the COM12 port, that would then be the device that creates the conflict.

Solosid
August 8th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Tieske,

It didnt work changing the com ports, it didn't even show up in the rfxmitter program.
I only had a brief chance to play as I'm out of the country working for a week.
Just thought I'd keep you posted

Cheers
Mark

Tieske8
August 8th, 2010, 05:04 PM
It didnt work changing the com ports, it didn't even show up in the rfxmitter program.
Thats correct, hadn't thought about that. The rfxmitter program only scans the first 20 ports, so to make it work you could use anything from COM1 to COM20, anything beyond that will not be shown.

Solosid
August 13th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Hi Tieske,

Back now after working out of the Country.

I have changed the com ports to Com15 for the Reciever on port 10001
and Com16 for the Xmitter on port 10002

I can use the supplied programs perfectly including the heater.

I still get the same problem in Girder with the in log as

14:59:47:068 8/13/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Codes returned (40 00): NORESPONSETIMEOUT

cheers

Mark

Solosid
August 14th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Hi Tieske,

got this reply in the log today...
00:01:41:369 8/15/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2. Initialization command failed: Data received (1 bytes): 30.Codes returned (01 00 00):

slightly different from log previous?

Cheers

Mark

Tieske8
August 15th, 2010, 12:26 AM
Mark,

Mark,

What where the results of this? from your last two posts, its clear that you still have the rfxmitter driver in Girder enabled...
Have you run the test in this order?

Solosid
August 15th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Tieske,

I did reply...see post 66.

The last two posts refered to changing the Com ports to 15 and 16.

I have tried again with the Xmitter configured to Com 16 and I can still control my HomeEasy stuff with the RFXmitter program when girder is running with the Com port released.

I hope this helps....

I feel were getting closer!

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
August 19th, 2010, 12:40 PM
Hi Tieske,

Can i try this setup on a laptop with wireless,

ie. install girder, port redirector, the plugin on the wireless to see if I get the same message?

OR

would any kind of firewall issue be stopping girder from connecting to the RXFcom unit, even though I can use the supplied program.

Cheers

Mark

Tieske8
August 19th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Mark,

I can reproduce the error you're getting. Bert setup some test equipment that I'm now adressing over the internet, using the CPR.
With th RFXmitter program I get results as expected, with Girder I don't.

I'm investigating, will get back when I know more.

Solosid
August 19th, 2010, 03:28 PM
Hi Tieske,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I am relocating my Rack so I might be unable to test for a week or so.

Cheers

Mark

Solosid
August 27th, 2010, 06:32 PM
Hi Tieske,
Just wondered how you were getting on with the plugin

Cheers
Mark

Tieske8
August 28th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Sorry, but I just haven't had time to look into it any further. Hope to be able to do some work this weekend.

Solosid
September 12th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Hi All,

Just thought I'd update this thread....

Though PM'ing Tieske, we found out the problem was with the CPR program from Lantronix.

We subsequently changed the CPR program to one by eterlogic

link is...

http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html

its pretty simple to set up

create two devices

1. comport device type: connector
2.TCP device type: TCPClient

and I now have Girder controlling my HomeEasy products. (HE105 not working yet, still debugging)

I have a file showing how to setup with pictures if that helps anybody

cheers

Mark

Solosid
September 13th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hi Tieske,

Can we look at getting the HE105 running soon

Cheers

Mark

Tieske8
September 14th, 2010, 01:36 PM
will be dropping you an experimental version shortly. Please give it a try.

Solosid
September 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Tieske,

Cheers for that.

new one works just fine for on/off (ACuk) and HE-105

not tested dimming yet!

any chance you could show me how the 'remote event' should look when filled in if the action on the other PC is 'Heating On'

cheers

Mark

PS were nearly there...

Tieske8
September 24th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Great!

any chance you could show me how the 'remote event' should look when filled in if the action on the other PC is 'Heating On'
With this one I can be of little help, I have only a single machine setup and have no experience with G2G whatsoever...

Regarding the error you're still getting, Whats the description, can you post the logs? I must say that I myself also once in a while see some errors during initialization. Usually I don't check the logs, but lately I've been going over them again and again trying to figure out the issues you were having, so I noticed them too. But all seems to work fine despite those errors.

Solosid
September 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Hi tieske,

sorted the g2g.

error log is...
22:11:14:081 9/24/2010 RFXmitter Driver version 0.2.1. Initialization command failed: Data received (1 bytes): 30.Codes returned (01 00 00):

cheers Mark

Tieske8
September 25th, 2010, 05:16 AM
Mark,

that's the same one I get once in a while. Have tried to look into it, but its an issue just as mystical as the CPR. For all I can tell now is that Girder adresses the serial ports in a way that causes this strange behaviour. That's what caused the CPR not to function correctly. For this specific error, during initialization the version of the RFXmitter firmware is requested and the result should be a single byte, some how Girder delivers 2, one giving the error, the other one is a proper version byte.

All in all, if it works just ignore the error in the log.

regards

Solosid
September 25th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Hi Tieske,

Thanks for this... i can now move my home automation to the next level.

I have the visonic alarm system, not installed yet.

do you know much about this?

cheers

Mark

Tieske8
September 25th, 2010, 02:23 PM
nope, visited their website once, thats all

Tieske8
April 9th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Just uploaded a new version of the RFXmitter driver, version 0.3.

Some bugfixes and an added debug option, that will provide some help for troubleshooting.
The 0.3 version is NOT backward compatible with previous versions, see the changelog for additional details.

Included now is a more detailed instruction on the COM port redirector and an address translator spreadsheet for the AC protocol, download details are in the initial post of this thread.

Pinkie2
November 21st, 2012, 02:40 PM
HI,
I was just wondering that x10 Security is not supported. I just got the USB version of the RFXCOM transmitter and wanted it to receive motion signals from my MS90.
Is there any way to make this work?

Tieske8
November 21st, 2012, 05:36 PM
HI,
I was just wondering that x10 Security is not supported. I just got the USB version of the RFXCOM transmitter and wanted it to receive motion signals from my MS90.
Is there any way to make this work?

That is too little info. What device do you have and what software are you using with it?

Pinkie2
November 22nd, 2012, 12:47 AM
Sorry let me clarify this.

I'm using the latest RFXtrx433 USB 433.92MHz Transceiver together with Girder 5.1 and the plugins for RFXCOM and X10 Transmitters. I want to make Girder receive signals from multiple MS90 motion sensors.
With RFXCOM's RFXmanager it's no problem to get the motion signal triggered from the sensor. But I'm not sure how to make this work with Girder.
Or is it mandatory to get the LAN version from RFXCOM to use xPL to communicate to Girder?

Tieske8
November 22nd, 2012, 03:34 AM
You need a different setup. The RFXmitter is a different device.

Or is it mandatory to get the LAN version from RFXCOM to use xPL to communicate to Girder?
No, you just need to make sure everything is 'connected', which you can do through xPL. xPL is a distributed home automation protocol (http://xplproject.org.uk/). Girder has an xPL plugin to receive xPL messages, and there is software to connect the RFXtrx to an xPL network.

Get the xPL software for the RFXtrx (http://xplproject.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1157&start=10#p8164)up and running first.
To help setup xPL infrastructure on your system use xplcheckpackage (http://www.thijsschreijer.nl/blog/?page_id=150).
Now install the Girder xPL plugin (http://www.thijsschreijer.nl/blog/?page_id=507) and make sure to fix this (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?21059-xPLGirder&p=146177#post146177).

Mastiff is also trying to get this working, so you might want to follow this thread (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?21059-xPLGirder). Please post any follow up question there, as it is not related to the RFXmitter driver (which this thread is for).

HTH.
Thijs