PDA

View Full Version : Netremote newbie question

ylaviolette
April 10th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I'd like to control Girder remotely from work; Is it possible to use Netremote over a public internet connection, a VPN or WAN connection ?

Or is Netremote only intended for LAN usage?

Any other way to control Girder remotely? (I currently use remote desktop sessions with Teamviewer)

Thanks for providing feedback.

Rob H
April 10th, 2010, 08:14 PM
As long as you can establish a connection to Girder then that shouldn't be a problem. VPN would probably be best and the most secure, although I haven't tried it. If you're not using a VPN then you'd definitely want a more secure password set up than the default one (and you would need to set up the port forwarding yourself.

ylaviolette
April 11th, 2010, 02:17 PM
So Netremote only supports LAN configurations?
No native way to connect over internet, correct?

Rob H
April 11th, 2010, 02:24 PM
You should be able to do it over the internet, but the normal problem is firewalls and routers e.g. port forwarding, let alone resolving the name correctly. If you can solve those issues there shouldn't be any further difficulties.

ylaviolette
April 11th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Just so I get this right:

If I install Netremote on my office's computer (not a local LAN PC),
I simply have to format the hostname with my public ip address instead of the computer name, ensure port forwarding is setup correctly on firewalls and I should be ready to go correct ?

thx again.

Rob H
April 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM
That's the theory, yes

mpg732
April 14th, 2010, 02:16 PM
The problem is not getting netremote and girder to work, the hard part is getting all of your network and router settings corect so netremote can comunicate to girder. Its going to be hard to get help on this because there are so many different types of routers, firewalls and other web securiety on the market. At work, your company may have some thing set up that may block what your trying to do. Good luck

Rob H
April 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM
You may be able to get around that by changing Girder's comm server port to something that the firewall will let through (and the same in NetRemote too of course). Just make sure that it doesn't conflict with any other internet services on the same computer.

dsmes
April 14th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Just so I get this right:

If I install Netremote on my office's computer (not a local LAN PC),
I simply have to format the hostname with my public ip address instead of the computer name, ensure port forwarding is setup correctly on firewalls and I should be ready to go correct ?Yes this works! I use Hamchi which sets up a VPN to my Girder machines using a IP address that doesn't change even though my DSL ISP uses DHCP. The ports are blocked from my office computer, but when I travel, NR on my laptop connects to two Girder machines on my home network just fine through hotel networks, WiFi hotspots, and cellular modem. But like I said, from work, our corporate network blocks just about everything except port 80... your results may vary.

l2105x
October 1st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Yes this works! I use Hamchi which sets up a VPN to my Girder machines using a IP address that doesn't change even though my DSL ISP uses DHCP. The ports are blocked from my office computer, but when I travel, NR on my laptop connects to two Girder machines on my home network just fine through hotel networks, WiFi hotspots, and cellular modem. But like I said, from work, our corporate network blocks just about everything except port 80... your results may vary.

This sounds like what I am looking for. May I ask a question just to make sure?

I would like to send the signal from an infrared remote control (dish network receiver) from one location served by Verizon DSL to a remote location served by Roadrunner cable broadband to control a dish receiver there. I have a Slingbox at the location with the dish receiver and think this might eliminate the need for a Slingcatcher (which is not being sold any longer). I want to eliminate the need to use a computer keyboard to control my remote slingbox.