PDA

View Full Version : Ppc ir

SatAmnesiac
June 1st, 2010, 12:23 PM
Hi,

having looked through the forum I'm confused and just want to confirm if I understand right, as I've downloaded the trial software but have got nowhere.

NetRemote doesn't support the IR port on PocketPC devices anymore, not even with a PPC specific plug-in?

If that's really the case I'm really disappointed. I understand the desire for the 2way communication - my HTPC runs with USB-UIRT and I can do any number of weird and wonderful things with the main stack in my house, but I have a perfectly good IR distribution system - which yes I could replace/add too and ditto with my central server and other bits and pieces, however, there are TVs/DVDs/Cable/Squeeze boxes around the house which I have no desire (given the Mrs utter hatred of wires) to do anything other than control with a simple remote.

Until now that's been Prontos of varying vintage to give a consistent wife friendly interfaces despite the different devices.
I do have a number of PPCs which would be ideal given the excellent .pcf/.ccf support in NetRemote to replace some of the older and now flagging Prontos.

I know NetRemote used to support IR on PPCs and I can't believe its been taken out... say it ain't so!

A.

mpg732
June 1st, 2010, 12:48 PM
Netremote does not work with the IR ports on PPC. If you do not want the two way communication and are just looking for direct IR, then I would recomend upgrading some of your older pronto's. you can buy the color ones for under $200.00 if you watch ebay.

speedbump49
June 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
I felt the same way at first, but now I have:
a) PPC ->wifi to Girder,
b) Girder ->IR bus
c) IR bus -> local IR flashers

SatAmnesiac
June 2nd, 2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks - for the responses

@mpg732
Concise but disappointing. I've never written anything on a ppc but perhaps this might spur me to learn as a nice little side project :-)

@speedbump49
Yah but where the IR currently isn't is where using a pronto works best. We're thinking of moving anyway... perhaps this is something to fix when building (or remodelling) our next house.

Rob H
June 3rd, 2010, 08:42 AM
We lost the rights to distributing the third-party IR plugin quite some time ago I'm afraid.

justinm001
June 3rd, 2010, 03:10 PM
another option would be to buy a htpc for each room. Lenovo($250) Acer revo ($200-300) among others would work. then add a USB-UIRT on to it and girder. Might be costly but the htpc benefits would be worth it (instant access to all movies and music, Hulu, netflix). This is my plan once I complete my HT room and finish the netremote, each tv would become a zone with htpc's and be able to be controlled with the same remotes. Then they all will still have a bedtime/all off button and everything would be off and house alarm would turn on.

justinm001
June 3rd, 2010, 03:11 PM
If I remember correctly most ppc's don't have IR anymore and the ones that did are designed for very close contact since they were initially designed to be able to beam to printers or beam contacts from one to another.

SatAmnesiac
June 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
another option would be to buy a htpc for each room...

Probably less costly than even the current entry level pronto, but most high-end TVs or DVDs have DLNA now which if I wanted that (I don't) I could have gone that route. That and an htpc, however, is quite the opposite of what I want to do which is avoid additional boxes, clutter and configuration and most certainly PCs that HAVE to be on just to send an IR signal... (my utility bills are plenty already thanks!)
Indeed an extension to IR distribution would get me some of what I want but really I want a simple wife-friendly pronto replacement for my non high-tech rooms; ie something that gives the same UI everywhere but customised to control what's in that room.

Sadly with the current Pronto range the only alternatives are Harmony's or "All In One" equivalents.. ie rubbish, or spending more on the remote than on some of the devices its controlling...

SatAmnesiac
June 3rd, 2010, 04:46 PM
If I remember correctly most ppc's don't have IR anymore and the ones that did are designed for very close contact since they were initially designed to be able to beam to printers or beam contacts from one to another.

True but many have a perfectly powerful IR beam. They still do. :-)

SatAmnesiac
June 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM
We lost the rights to distributing the third-party IR plugin quite some time ago I'm afraid.

That's a shame... as I said above perhaps I'll take the time to look at the plug-in API (I assume you publish it?) and what the compact framework provides....

Rob H
June 6th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Not sure you'd want to do this as a conventional plugin - would be better to replace the IRHardware.dll. Remind me about this tomorrow and I'll see what I can dig up on it.

tmorten
June 6th, 2010, 07:43 PM
That and an htpc, however, is quite the opposite of what I want to do which is avoid additional boxes, clutter and configuration and most certainly PCs that HAVE to be on just to send an IR signal... (my utility bills are plenty already thanks!)

It would be great have a new IR plug-in (so kudos for being willing to explore it)!

Just to make sure that you're aware: GlobalCache GC-100's are one alternative to having a PC on all the time. They do add a (small) additional box, and they're more costly than the USB-UIRT, but they are low-power, and currently supported by NetRemote (so no additional work required).

Cheers,
Tim