PDA

View Full Version : Delays when sending IR?

Strahan
June 1st, 2010, 11:02 PM
I have a universal remote. I originally programmed it with some random code just so it'd shoot some IR that Girder/UIRT could capture. Problem was, the volume button with the code I was using did not repeat. If you held it down, the log shown only 1 instance of IR coming in even though the LED kept lighting. I tried another code and found one that shows a continual stream of IR when the button is held down. Eureka! ..or so I thought heh.

I added a USB-UIRT action to shoot the IR code to turn my receiver's volume up. I can go into the action props and hit test and as fast as I hit it, the vol goes up smoothly. I then added an event to it and learned the remote's volume up. Problem is, if I hold vol up on the remote it receives the data in Girder but it lags. The vol up motion is choppy and when I let go of the vol up button, it still processes several "buffered" ups. Doesn't work smooth at all.

What could cause that? I tried dinkering with the various settings; tried a little anti-repeat thinking maybe it was too fast, tried changing the repeat count in the action from 1 up to 10, tried moving the UIRT right in front of the receiver to be sure good signal was being received, I'm at my wits end.

Thanks!

PS - Also noticed that if I use the F5 - Test option from the main Girder screen, I get the same lag when I jam away on F5. However if I open the UIRT action and click away real fast on Test Transmit, it goes up smoothly and as rapidly as I can click.

Rob H
June 3rd, 2010, 09:41 AM
Not sure about the F5 - that should be pretty much the same as pressing the Test button, however, you may be getting interference with the remote's IR and the USB-UIRT's IR, assuming that the transmitter is in the same room as the receiver.

Strahan
June 3rd, 2010, 02:11 PM
Hmmm. How would I test that? Also, if it's the remote IR was causing problems wouldn't the F5 test be smooth and fast since it eschews the remote? Would possibly using a different equipment code on the universal have any effect? It's hardly an end-of-world problem, but I'd really like to nail it down.

Frustratingly, this worked great at my old home. Could reflection cause lag? Because in the old house the UIRT was pointed right at my receiver, in this house it bounces off the back wall. I've also heard plasma TVs can cause interference.. in the old house I was using an LCD projector not a plasma TV like I am now. Is that accurate?

Rob H
June 3rd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Plasma TVs can indeed cause problems with IR reception, but you can probably test that easily enough by just turning off the plasma.

As I say I'm not sure why the F5 would have a problem, unless your keyboard repeat rate is low?