July 27, 2009.
build 2.0.21 released

Is NetRemote still alive?

pfeifer
July 27th, 2010, 04:45 PM
In my opinion is dead .......

tmorten
July 27th, 2010, 07:37 PM
No new releases just means that it's working perfectly! :)

Cheers,
Tim

yamy125
July 27th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Hmmm, wishful thinking that Tim...

jwilson56
July 28th, 2010, 01:05 AM
Well why don't you start a thread and list what you want fixed? Personally I use my Now Playing skin everyday and have yet to find any problems with Netremote. I think Promixis is working on a new release but we will have to wait. I usually work on my skins in the winter so I can wait.

yamy125
July 28th, 2010, 05:32 AM
See here for starters:

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20307

Look, I'm not trying to be negative, just finding it hard to be positive. I use NR every day and find it 90% great. Just with the lack of development over the last year leaves me holding very little hope for the future and I have to start considering my alternatives that are moving forward as the technology offerings change.

You only have to look at the many wishes for this software to go 'native' on our more common devices (yes the old iPhone/iPad debate again) to see I'm not alone, and I'd be confident in saying a lot have already moved on I suspect.

pfeifer
July 28th, 2010, 06:35 AM
Normally I think positive but the answer at our request for new device normally here is: implement a web interface.

Too easy.

Personally, I am moving to EventGhost and CommandFusion.

In EventGhost is possibile implement web interface and CommandFusion has native application for iPhone/iPod/iPad and are coming Android.

The future of tablet is iPad/Android for a lot of reason.

Be realistic!!!

Of course I am using NetRemote and Girder (bought not cracked) but I don't wont write web interface.....

Bye

Sandro

jwilson56
July 28th, 2010, 08:37 AM
See here for starters:

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20307

Look, I'm not trying to be negative, just finding it hard to be positive. I use NR every day and find it 90% great. Just with the lack of development over the last year leaves me holding very little hope for the future and I have to start considering my alternatives that are moving forward as the technology offerings change.

You only have to look at the many wishes for this software to go 'native' on our more common devices (yes the old iPhone/iPad debate again) to see I'm not alone, and I'd be confident in saying a lot have already moved on I suspect.

Personally I think NR needs to changed over to use a RDP view method like a lot of the other apps I have checked out. Much easier to write a viewer for Iphone, Android, Linux and other devices and/or OS's than to get NR running on those. That would solve many of the problems for people that are using it as a GUI front end.

jwilson56
July 28th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Well another problem is the economy. I am sure it has been hard for Promixis to make any money when people are not spending it on things like this. Just take a look at CQC. Talk about having issues... and those people spent 3-4 times what we did for NR/G5. They also have a yearly maintenance fee which I am sure helps the developer to stay in the black.

I have a hunch that many of the things people are asking for might show up in the next NR upgrade at a small charge. I wonder how many of you will be willing to spend some money to get it.

pfeifer
July 28th, 2010, 10:35 AM
Personally I think NR needs to changed over to use a RDP view method like a lot of the other apps I have checked out.

I tried. With Nokia 770, iPhone and iPad.

Very good with Nokia not the same with Apple. I used few client, free and not.
But for all of these we need a server.

For my home automation (BTicino MyHome), my decoders (linux based), and Global cachè we don't need of a RDP server.

Bye
Sandro

Kaoh
July 28th, 2010, 03:57 PM
I tried. With Nokia 770, iPhone and iPad.

Very good with Nokia not the same with Apple. I used few client, free and not.
But for all of these we need a server.

For my home automation (BTicino MyHome), my decoders (linux based), and Global cachè we don't need of a RDP server.

Bye
Sandro

I agree with this statement. I love NR because it can be ran stand alone and does not depend on a running PC which increases the stability since it is one link less that can fail. For a remote control this is very important.

And I do have wishes, I only purchased NR last week when I recieved my GlobalCache and decided to turn my old HTC diamond into a remote. It all looked very promising but the project allready failed when I dsicoverd that the plugin for globalcache is to slow. (see my thread about that). So there is room for improvement and I do feel proximes should support my "bug" with a new version since I have rights to the product that was promised. The faulty support of the globalcache is advertised as selling point.
But I do not wish to make a huge deal out of that since I suspect these guys work on it beside their day job and stuff. It was cheap and I am always happy to support a good tool someone made.

Next I would like real touch support, I would like to use guestures for example. The hard button support can be improved and mobile devices have a lot more sensors now I would like to use (gsensor, light sensors and gps) and not to mention the possibility to trigger a vibrate effect.
Also I would like a butten pressed, button released event so that continues ir sending can be supported.

And yes, even though I will never ever use a iPhone/iTouch/iPad, I may need to use a Android device someday since it looks like it is taking over as the embedded OS of choice, TV's, tablet, phones, eReaders and setup boxes are all using it now allready. So unless the embedded windows 7 makes a huge killing soon, Android is the main cheap smart devices OS.

None are extreme wishes and just part of the modern times, but not supported. So I conclude that 1 year no release is a first sign of death. And I really hope I will see a revival soon.

Kaoh
July 28th, 2010, 04:03 PM
And one more thing.
If they do decide to end life of netremote... then please hand it over to the community for further development in a open source license. It is a good product, it just neeeds more life cycles to keep up with the game.

Rob H
August 2nd, 2010, 05:55 AM
We have no intention to end-of-life NR.

Sorry I've not been around much lately - a number of reasons have contributed to the this, but I won't go into them here.

I'll see what we can do to get the new build of NR released soon.

akamia
August 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Do you have a roadmap for the next year?