PDA

View Full Version : Netremote & JRMC

jwilson56
December 24th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Well I have to tell any of you that have a multizone audio system using JRMC that you should be grateful for such a robust integration using Mediabridge. I have been playing with Elve and HSPro and they are not even in the same ballpark.

It is a shame that the NR/G package has not done better against these other packages. Maybe using this for a GUI based system for multizone touchscreens has a limited market. I know I love my Now Playing setup and use it daily.

I wish Promixis would really understand where the market is heading with touchpads and smartphones. I know there are some here who are pushing a Webpage approach but personally I think that is a step backwards and I have not seen any that could compare to the examples done even with NR 1.0 interfacing with Mediabridge. To our critics that say NRD is too hard to use what are we to say to the potential buyers about programming HTML/ASP?

I have done my best to try and help promote NR/G with examples as well as my blog. I have made converts out of some. Others just don't seem to get it. They say the learning curve is too high. Well what good is a simpler application if you can't do what you want it to do. Besides I have played with other packages and I don't see how they are considered that much easier to use.

Well it is the end of the year. Lets hope 2011 brings some progress towards newer versions.

Happy holidays to all.

yonu
December 24th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I have to agree the integration for multizone is great but I as well hope to see new versions next year

jwilson56
December 27th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I would hope Ron would jump in here and let us in on the roadmap for Promixis.

Ron
December 29th, 2010, 11:08 AM
Our roadmap is HTML based interfaces on all touchpad, ipod, ipad, android etc and potentially a VNC based head for NetRemote.

dsmes
December 29th, 2010, 04:33 PM
Our roadmap is HTML based interfaces ...Very sad to hear this, Ron. I guess that explains why NR hasn't been updated in 17 months (I'm ignoring June's beta because it broke some functionality and wasn't generally released). My key attraction to NR has been its speed of response; especially compared with HTML based interfaces. I acknowledge that web browsers have come a long way over the years, but I don't always have the connection bandwidth necessary to avoid the significant lag times that result with a poor connection. Even if I did, I'd find it daunting to (learn how to) reprogram all my CCF pages.

jwilson56
December 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Well actually a custom VNC solution would probably be very good if it were written properly. I have heard of some doing this. Each Netremote client logs into its own virtual desktop (preferably set to the resolution of the device the VNC app is running like a Droid). Getting NR running natively on iPhones and Androids I sure would require a lot of resources.

I have decided to use a great RDP app I found for my Droid 2 that is lightning fast and has a lot of options that make using a NR screen feel like it is running on the Droid. I am in the stages of creating the new skin and hope to make a video demo of it when I am done.

As for NR as it stands. I am NRD 2.0.0.17 and NR 2.0.20.143 and other than some bugs in NRD I have not seen too many problems.

It doesn't look like we have access to Rob these days to get those bugs fixed.

I will continue to use NR/G because quite frankly the other just aren't up to the same level for building complex interfaces. What good is an easier to use app if it can't do what you want it to?

Ron
December 29th, 2010, 06:50 PM
The VNC solution might help dsmes to deliver your interactivity. Beyond that we simply don't have the engineering resources to develop a iPhone, Android ,Windows Phone 7, etc... applications. All of those are almost diametrically opposed from a programming perspective. Again the VNC solution might address this whole issue once and for all.

mpg732
December 30th, 2010, 01:11 PM
I have posted this recently, that Ipone/Ipad and Droid all have VNC/RDP apps that work very well. The Ipad one Works great, I have played around a little with my friends Ipad, I realy like the Ipad, one for the 10 hour of batterie and two, both of my touch screens are running 1024x768 and the Ipad Can run that resolution, so I will not have to make any changes to me CCF.

Jwilson56,

Which app are you using, does that app lock out the host screen when running and does it time out after being connected for a certain time period?

jwilson56
December 30th, 2010, 11:36 PM
I am running it on a Droid 2 so the screen is set to time out. It seems to reconnect very quickly so it has not been a problem. I am running a separate login session for this RDP session (I can have three on the system) but I assume like most RDP apps it will lock out the local desktop if that is what you are RDP'n into.

jwilson56
December 31st, 2010, 09:29 AM
I have heard from people for years that Netremote is just too hard to use. That Netremote Designer is cumbersome and buggy. Well after playing around with HSTouch and the Designer (which I managed to crash 3 times in the first hour of use) I can say that using Designer was like being limited to grade school math as apposed to using Algebra level Netremote. Sure if you want to drop on a light switch and quickly link it to a device it is slick but just a quick observation of Designer shows no signs of template overlays, States or anything as close to a GAC+ function. In fact Netremote is much like a computer language that lets the creator do pretty much anything they want. HSTouch Designer is easier in some ways to use but far more limited. The other thing I noticed right away is the lack of a good example skin to play with nor do I see a depository for people to share their skins for others to look at to see how they did things. These are important as they are much more valuable than many pages of documentation IMO.

As far as multi zone control over JRMC. I think its there but not stable yet. But (and this is a big but) it would seem that you have to create a separate screen for each 'zone' you want to view and control. Also a quick test of two HSTouch clients running showed that when you change what is playing from one client the other one doesn't get updated (I remember the very early days when Ben fixed that in NR). The HST forum is way more active than here but if you look at what the posts are you quickly notice it is people crying over problems and wish lists.

People are saying that these things will be added to HStouch in some future date but I have to wonder why someone pays $200 for HSTouch ($600 for HSPro) and then spends time beta testing it for them. For that kind of money I would expect a much more finished product. Also the JRMC plugin is $40 and its been in beta for a very long time and still doesn't quite work (Mediabridge is light years ahead).

I have seen many posts on the Homeseer forum of Netremote owners who are looking for something better. I am afraid that they might find some pretty graphics that will allow them to do simple designs but if they are looking to do more complex designs (overlays and templates) and have multi zone audio they will be left wanting. Also simple things like copying things from one project to another at this time are impossible to do. The fix coming soon is to be able to open up multiple copies of Designer at the same time.

Right now I have to say that I doubt I could reproduce Now Playing with HSTouch. It is a shame that Netremote/Girder has not gotten the fair recognition it deserves.