PDA

View Full Version : NetRemote Pocket PC Hardware and System Plan

Guardian
January 31st, 2011, 09:20 AM
Hi Everyone,

I've been searching ebay for the past few days looking for a good Pocket Pc to use with the software. I figured it would be good to go ahead and ask a few questions before I purchase anything. I'm figuring on doing a large system to control my home automation. My plan is to purchase several Pocket Pc units and recess them into the wall as home automation controllers. I would then run low voltage power to each and build a custom wall plate to cover the face of the unit. Any advice would be appreciated before i get started. Here is the system as I see it:

Setup:

* Central solid state computer (netbook, saves power) running the Girder software
* Multiple control units (pocket pc) recessed in wall throughout the house to control home automation. 5 units total.
* Whole house audio system tied to computer, radio, theater room audio and etc. Probably will interface through rs232
* Ip Surveillance system
* Lighting control through zwave or similar device
* HVAC control

Questions:

-Any issues with running several net remotes (5) to control 1 system?
-Is an Ip Surveillance feed possible to Pocket Pc units? I would assume it would be just a link in the software to the cameras web page.
-Is a separate license required for each net remote unit?
-For a fixed Pocket Pc, would a compact flash network card be better than wifi?
-Is intercom functionality possible between units?
-Suggestions on Pocket Pc hardware? Looking at Dell Axim x50v or x51v.

I have to say your software looks awesome and I excited to get started with my system! Thanks for any help!

VicVonDoom
January 31st, 2011, 04:11 PM
I am not from promixis and this is not official. (Mods & guru's please feel free to comment)

Its what i've found by tinkering so far...

-Any issues with running several net remotes (5) to control 1 system?
Nope. Both Mediabridge and Girder can cope with multiple clients.
You may run into trouble as to who gets priority if someone upstairs is turning the music down and you are downstairs turning it up.

-Is an Ip Surveillance feed possible to Pocket Pc units? I would assume it would be just a link in the software to the cameras web page
PPC's dont have java or flash. The way i did it a while ago was to have the camera take a snapshot and refresh the snapshot every second.
Afaik, there is no way to have a 'live' stream.

Is a separate license required for each net remote unit?
Theres a multi user licence in the side bar here (its the WHP or Whole Home Pro one you want) http://www.promixis.com/netremote.php

-For a fixed Pocket Pc, would a compact flash network card be better than wifi?
For your own sanity and if possible, go wired. The time it takes for a PPC to resume from standby, then connect to wireless can feel like a lifetime...

Is intercom functionality possible between units?
Not within NR. However, NR does have the ability to execute external commands, so if you can find a PPC program that will accept these - But i've never seen that done before....

Guardian
January 31st, 2011, 04:49 PM
Awesome, thanks for the reply,

For the most part I think the software / hardware can do what I'm looking for.

I'm planning on having these wall units powered all the time so there would be no need for hibernation, except possibly in the bedrooms. Would you still recommend wired over wifi?

Do you have any hardware suggestions? I'm thinking the Dell x50v...(about $50 on ebay)...but i don't know.

VicVonDoom
January 31st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Can't recommend a winner i'm afraid.

You'll probably still get wireless dropouts even with them on all the time - thats just hardware!
So if you have the chance to run a network cable to the units then do (better to be looking at it, than for it!) at least that way you have the option.

I'm not sure how your units will cope with being permanently on, most commercial units will power off after xxxminutes to avoid heat build up etc, then wake on touch screen activity.

The software is pretty rock solid, but it does run under windows.