PDA

View Full Version : There was a problem initializing the plugin for Vista Media Center

bl123
April 10th, 2011, 02:01 PM
I've searched and tried several things but can't get Mediabridge to work with Windows Media Center. It works with Windows Media Player, but when I select "Vista Media Center" I get the error message shown in the title of this thread.

I am a long-time user of NetRemote and Mediabridge but recently upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit. I have tried setting the Mediabridge application to run as administrator but got the same result.

When I manually start Windows Media Center I do get a pop-up that says "MediaBridge Link Ready" and I see MediaBridge in the list of extras in the extras library, and it is checked. I also tried un-checking all other extras.

Hopefully I'm missing something simple - any advice?

Bill

bl123
April 10th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Should have added that I am use MediaBridge 2.2.0.93 and NetRemote 2.0.21.144

tmorten
April 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Try installing to a directory where you have full permissions (such as a folder in My Documents instead of Program Files); I suspect a file permissions issue.

Cheers,
Tim

bl123
April 11th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the suggestion - I suspected that too, since no log file is being generated in the mediabridge directory... but I have installed it to d:/mediabridge and made sure I have ownership and priveleges of all the directories - no change in the behavior.

Also, when I start up mediabridge it appears to be unable to start up windows media center, but it starts windows media player just fine.

Any other suggestions? I'm at a loss at this point, given the fact that I am not even getting a log file so I can't see what's failing.

tmorten
April 11th, 2011, 07:53 PM
When you manually start MediaCenter before or after MB, is there any circumstance where you get a connection (regardless of any posted error)?

Thanks,
Tim

bl123
April 12th, 2011, 06:43 AM
The only sign that there is some sort of connection is that a box pops up in mediacenter that says Mediabridge link ready, and Netremote is communicating with MediaBridge just fine... but I am unable to get any commands from Netremote to Mediacenter.

tmorten
April 12th, 2011, 12:45 PM
The box that pops up is an indication that the MediaBridge plug-in for MediaCenter is running, so that end sounds like it's in good shape. For some reason that's not clear to me, MediaBridge itself is unhappy.

Anyone else out there running W7 64-bit successfully?

- Tim

bl123
April 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
It is starting to sound like a 64-bit issue since I have seen other threads that talked about protection issues with Windows 7 but not this problem.

Although I'm not getting any log file created, it does update the file cache.mdb in the MediaBridge directory.

Played around with it some more and it is very repeatable - select Media Player and it immediately starts media player and netremote can control it. Select Media Center and I get the "problem initializing the plugin" error message.

Windows Media Center was installed during my original installation - is it possible there is something about the protections where WMC is installed?

--Bill

tmorten
April 13th, 2011, 01:16 PM
I don't think WMC permissions should be an issue (particularly since it sounds like the plug-in is working).

Best,
Tim

bl123
April 14th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I tried a complete re-install of W7 64-bit with no success in getting MediaBridge to communicate with WMC so I guess I am at the mercy of the mediabridge developers at this point. Since I am sharing this computer for home theater and video editing, I need to stick with 64-bit W7 to take advantage of my 16GB ram.

I have a decent workaround using keyboard spoofing that isn't 'perfect' but seems to be working well enough to get by. If there are any other experiments you would like me to try please don't hesitate to ask.

Bill