PDA

View Full Version : sending keyboard shortcuts to program running in background

THX-UltraII
December 19th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Hi,

I m using a D-Box system in my HT room. D-Box uses PC software. With this software you can control some things like sliders to adjust the intensity of the D-Box seating. At my request D-Box released a new version of their software with keyboard shortcuts. With these shortcuts I can adjust sliders etc. I m using Eventghost atm. and I created events in Eventghost and I assigned buttons of my Logitech Harmony Remote with these. The problem is that it ONLY works when the D-Box software is maximized, shown on the windows desktop AND has focus. But I want to control the D-Box software (which runs as a service/program in the background) when playing movies (I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema with madVR as output renderer with a so called 'fullscreen exclusive mode').

Is there a way it will work with Girder? Maybe Girder can send keyboard shortcuts to a specific program without the need that the program is running on the windows desktop AND is the active window with the focus on it.

Hope you guys understand what I need/looking for.

thxz!

Tieske8
December 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Their site lists RS-232 control manuals (http://www.d-box.com/en/downloads/home-theatre/), maybe thats an option? (I suppose the device is connected to your PC somehow)

THX-UltraII
December 20th, 2011, 08:27 AM
They have 2 sort of Motion Control Boxes, 1 is the stand-alone version with a RS-232 connector on the back side and one PC based Motion Controller which has no RS-232 port on the back side but is connected directly to a PC with a USB cable. Is it possible with the PC based Motion controller (which I own) to get RS-232 you think?

Tieske8
December 20th, 2011, 03:24 PM
These type of devices quite often use a serial connection over USB. I'm not sure how to determine that, maybe their support can tell you how to set this up.

What you could do is check your windows device manager for additional com ports, or if there is a special device listed for it, examine the driver info it might give you a link to an OEM driver. But this is not my expertise...