PDA

View Full Version : USB Uirt Issue

Steven81
January 8th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Hi, I'm using Girder for some years now -in my HTPC- and I have it coupled with my USB Uirt receiver and 'till now it never left me wanting. Lately I decided to build a second -almost- identical HTPC, so I bought a 2nd Uirt module and I've installed Girder 5's trial edition to make some tests before buying/installing the full version.

To my dismay -even though I had the plugin enabled and everything else in order- it would miss most of my key presses while I was in WMC's full screen mode. So I had to get into windowed mode, resized my WMC's window to the smallest possible and to my surprise all my key presses were accurate and 1:1.

I even used my other USB uirt module (the one that I' m using for 3 years now without a hitch) and again same result: Full screen - poor response, Small Windowed mode - 1:1 response.

I've tried everything, from reinstalling all my drivers to re-installing the OS, tried dif USB ports, heck even different Uirt modules and different Girder editions. Same results again and again and again. As if Girder and the Uirt plugin became laggy all of the sudden and unworkable.

I hope this is a common problem to which a solution exists because if not I would feel that I am wasting my HTPC (w/t Girder + USB_Uirt it is nothing but a desktop pc sitting in the wrong room I say)...

Any help would be really appreciated, also sorry for my language for I'm not a native speaker...

Thank you.

Ron
January 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Sounds like a keyboard targeting problem. Can you please check the send to foreground check box in the keyboard target settings.

Steven81
January 9th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Sounds like a keyboard targeting problem. Can you please check the send to foreground check box in the keyboard target settings.

Hi, if you mean the "match foreground task" then it is checked in all the customs buttons I have created...
Also another strange symptom I found was that how big or small the window is it matters in how accurate the ir commands are. If it is too small I have 1:1 response, if it is almost full screen I have 1:4 response at best. I doubt I have any problem in the hardware part (for the reasons I accounted above) so it is certainly some adjustment I ought to make in Girder...

Thanks for your attention and support.

Steven81
January 11th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry to bump my own thread it's only that if I won't be able to make girder work properly with my remote until Friday I would have to dissasemble my HTPC and return the parts...

In consideration of the fact that w/t Girder the HTPC experience is almost non existant and the fact thay my hardware dealer gives me a 15 day return policy (this Friday is the 15th day). So I HAVE TO make this work in the following two days...

I hope that you guys would had known more (considering my low experience with Girder given how well it worked in my last setup w/t having to "meddle").

Any help would had been *really* appteciated...

Ron
January 11th, 2012, 01:05 PM
FYI I don't believe this is a hardware problem. More of a MCE changed kind of thing.

The best I can say I to try and work on the targeting options for the keyboard action, or use the alternative keyboard action under legacy actions.

Steven81
January 11th, 2012, 03:25 PM
FYI I don't believe this is a hardware problem. More of a MCE changed kind of thing.

The best I can say I to try and work on the targeting options for the keyboard action, or use the alternative keyboard action under legacy actions.

Thanks for that (about the hardware) it sounds quite reassuring... I have to say though that I already have a girder enabled htpc and WMC works fine to it.

I did try other software (say mediaportal and xbmc) and the results were sadly the same -tiny window 1:1 response, large window 1:4 response). I've been experimenting with targetting options for a while but all I 've managed was only to lose complete control of the program (up until I was to revert).

One -last- thing that I've noticed through the event monitor is that when the window of WMC is small/minimized I get all the ir commands correctly (as I have sent them) but when I get in Fullscreen/large window suddenly some rogue foreign commands are being introduced in the event manager (by girder I suppose) interfering with the commands I m sending through ir. THERE I suppose is the problem, any idea where they come from and how I can "cure" this (I'm almost sure that girder that generates them for some unknown reason)...

Thank you (and I'd hope Ill find my answers before Friday)...)

Ron
January 11th, 2012, 03:36 PM
interesting so in full screen mode the IR reception is having trouble. What IR-hardware EXACTLY do you have?

Steven81
January 11th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Usb-uirt is the receiver, multiple different remote controls were the ones from which I send the signal (lg, panasonic, etc).

I've also tried a 2nd usb-uirt module that I'm using for years now to another computer and still had the same issues...

Ron
January 11th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Can you send the logs of you pressing a button on the remote while MCE small and another while the screen is full.

Steven81
January 12th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Hi, I've reproduced the conditions I'm describing above and here's the log...

I'm praying to have the answer in the next few hours (before it's officially Friday). Thanks for your efforts anyhow...

Ron
January 12th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Sorry I meant the Logs from the Main Girder Window. ( View->Logs )

Steven81
January 12th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Hi, I've re-attached the logs (hopefully the right ones this time around). The "windowed.txt" is when I'm using the smallest possible window while I'm trying to control WMC...

6308544504F5
6308405104F5

Are the two ir signals I'm sending (for up/down). Look what happens in the "Fullscreen.log"... quaint.

Steven81
February 4th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hmm, I think I have found out what's going on with my issue. Apparently this -new- USB uirt module I've bought supports only 38Khz IR signal, while the prior one (that I had) supported 56Khz signal. My plasma TV emits of/around 38Khz of IR signal when it "draws" a dark scene, leading my USB-uirt to overload with rogue signals and thus being unable to register my controller's commands...

Is there any way (through girder's plugin I suppose) to make my USB-uirt to register *only* the certain IR commands that my controller sents and sort of blacklist everything else?

Ron
February 6th, 2012, 08:35 AM
"My plasma TV emits of/around 38Khz of IR signal when it "draws" a dark scene"

Wow, that is horrendous design. The 38kHz IR band is used so much overloading it like that would be a huge engineering mistake. Not sure software on our side can do anything about that.

Steven81
February 7th, 2012, 07:23 AM
"My plasma TV emits of/around 38Khz of IR signal when it "draws" a dark scene"

Wow, that is horrendous design. The 38kHz IR band is used so much overloading it like that would be a huge engineering mistake. Not sure software on our side can do anything about that.

What I had thought would be -if possible- to have girder's plugin to reject (blacklist) any signal not coming from my remote ( the ones I would have whitelisted).

That way I may had been able to "fix" the hardware/engineering problem(s) through software means...

Ron
February 7th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Not sure that is possible as the light is overloading any other IR signals coming in, you need to filter them out before they reach the USB-UIRT.

How about this. Put the USB-UIRT in a toilet paper roll (or something similar). Point the opening toward where you are sitting with your remote away from the TV. Maybe you can limit the interference by making the reception a bit more directional.