PDA

View Full Version : Future of Netremote?

jwilson56
January 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM
It seems that the future of Netremote seems dim to say the least. There has not been any new development for quite some time and with the move to web based GUI for Girder it doesn't look like NR is going anywhere.

So the big question that many people have asked me is: "Is there any chance Netremote will go open source so that others can work to improve it and add Android and Iphone support".

I do see this as a win win for Promixis. Since the back-end for Netremote is still Girder 5... people who start to use NR for their front end will end up purchasing a Girder license. This will give Promixis an edge in the home automation market by leveraging other programmers time and talent to improve NR without costing the company any resources.

Just a thought....

harleydude
January 26th, 2012, 09:37 PM
My 2 cents...

I for one think that NetRemote is the best touchscreen interface available. I know a lot of people are asking for Android and iOS support, but that really does not interest me. A really good interface needs more than just a 2" x 4" screen. Tablets do change the options a bit, but the PC is still the most powerful of all the device and is not dependent on batteries and data plans.

Rob made great improvements to NR with the latest version. It is a shame that development seems to have come to a halt. If that is the case, I vote for releasing NR as open source. As John mentioned, development will continue. That will make the existing users happy and keep them using NR and Girder.

From a very satisfied user of NetRemote and Girder.

Mastiff
January 28th, 2012, 03:17 AM
For my part I love NetRemote, and I use it both on my HTC HD2 (I'm still on a WinMo 6.5 for the sole reason of NetRemote) and my Android tablet (which I'm using by controlling a VM on the server by remote access). My setup is mainly to control my 14 zones (I think...) JRMC which is spread over two computers, the main server and the media server. It works perfectly. JRMC has released Gizmo, which works pretty well for controlling JRMC, but it's not up to NetRemote's flexibility (and probably never will be, there's too much advanced stuff that I don't think can be done that easily). Still I'm now adapting the WebGizmo for use by guests, but if it was possible to get it done with a new version of NetRemote for Android, that would be great. Not holding my breath, though. People do have stuff to do. For most people just keeping track of their 1468 Face book friends and 3 Twitter followers is enough... Me? Nah. If there was an anti-social version of them I'd consider it...

Btw seems like we're just as lazy, Rick... I can't imagine you're still on JRMC 11 either! ;)

jwilson56
January 28th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Actually my main system is still on JRMC V11.1 as there is no reason to migrate it. I do own V16 on my development machine. It is hard to keep up with them. I have to agree about people being busy (I guess). Not sure where all the old time home automation guys went these days. Cocoontech is busy but mostly with high end talk and home security system talk. I guess it comes down to people having their system the way they want it or they have lost interest in HA and moved on to reading Facebook posts. It has hurt the home automation market across the board.

The two things I hear the most that people would like to see from Promixus is Android/iPhone support and Zwave. With the new Zwave locks out I can see why some people would like to get that.

A huge thanks for people like Rick and Tieske8 for the improvements like UPnP and XplPlugin.

Mastiff
January 28th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Wow, OK. Still 11... I have really found a lot of use for the more advanced stuff in later versions, like the cover finding function (saves tons of time) and the advanced playback methods. I use WASAPI Event style, and I can actually hear the difference from direct sound on my higher end speakers (living room and home theater). Not to mention that Gizmo comes in handy for those who do not have a PPC/Winmo 6.5.

I haven't been of the most active myself (I guess I was close to being declared dead both here and on the JRMC board), but that's mainly because my system has been evolving slowly and steadily in a way that I have been able to handle myself, and all the advanced stuff is done (most of it several years ago, still working great).

Never heard about those Zwave locks, but they looked really cool! Around 200 dollars on eBay isn't too bad...I may get one to play with. It seems like it can be controlled by Girder with the built-in webserver too.