PDA

View Full Version : Girder to control network devices (TVs, BD players etc)

thunderstorm77
February 3rd, 2012, 03:09 PM
I have a Panasonic TV (GT30) that lacks RS232, but has network and can be controlled over the network via apps. Would it be possible to make Girder (v5) control this unit, similar to control over RS232?

Do I need additional HW?

Thanks!

Kristian

Tieske8
February 4th, 2012, 04:12 AM
2 options; 1) use IR, or 2) you might have a look at the UPnP stuff (http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?21127-UPnP-and-Girder), but its still early stuff (assuming the TV supports UPnP)

shaun5
February 5th, 2012, 07:24 PM
If you have the IP protocol that the app uses, that is probably the preferred option (I utilize IP control of a Sharp TV)...

thunderstorm77
February 7th, 2012, 04:05 PM
If you have the IP protocol that the app uses, that is probably the preferred option (I utilize IP control of a Sharp TV)...

Interesting - can you give a little info of how this is set up, to give me a start?

shaun5
February 7th, 2012, 04:43 PM
I just use a simple transport setup on the fixed IP of the TV. I don't think my Sharp TV's firmware is very stable. The TV will stop receiving commands after a few months and has to be unplugged to start receiving them again. Other IP devices like TiVo, Global Cache, and IRtrans in my system seem to always. If you have the IP protocol, post or link to it...

thunderstorm77
February 9th, 2012, 08:09 AM
I just use a simple transport setup on the fixed IP of the TV. I don't think my Sharp TV's firmware is very stable. The TV will stop receiving commands after a few months and has to be unplugged to start receiving them again. Other IP devices like TiVo, Global Cache, and IRtrans in my system seem to always. If you have the IP protocol, post or link to it...

Thanks. I contacted Panasonic, and they say they don't have it!? That's a lie, guess they don't bother looking for it or didn't understand my request. There's an app that does the same thing, and I assume then it must be sending the same signal, so somebody knows...

I'll keep looking.

freezer
February 13th, 2012, 07:32 AM
shaun5 - Looking to implement similar with my Denon ASD-51W ipod dock; IP protocol document attached; I am a newbie at directly communicating with devices (just finished implementing RS232 connection for my Yamaha RVX2500 receiver, but based it on some really good examples) Any guidance / code sample you could share to get me started ?

thxs.

**Update - Never mind...answered my own question with a little more reading. Found the SimpleSendandReceive script; modified the script, went into the Transport Mgr; Added my dock IP:Port address; Added a simple command to my GML and voila....I turned on the dock and saw lots of lines of data being received back from the dock....excellent!!

For anyone interest, attached is the very basic device script.

shaun5
February 15th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Attached is a very simple transport. You might need to change the parser from \r\n to just \r. I primarily control my gear with the web interface, so I utilize a scripting action that uses the first payload variable as the IP command. A simple version of my script action looks like:

if (pld1 ~= '') then
local txManager = ComponentManager:GetComponentUsingName('Transport Manager')
local tp = txManager:GetTransportUsingName('My mysimple)
pld1 = pld1 .. "\r"
tp:Send(pld1);
end

if you wanted to hard code or test a command you could make a scripting action like:

local txManager = ComponentManager:GetComponentUsingName('Transport Manager')
local tp = txManager:GetTransportUsingName('My mysimple)
tp:Send('PW\r');