PDA

View Full Version : How to Communicate with Denon Receiver using Ethernet via Girder 5

Beamer
March 21st, 2012, 04:27 AM
I have recently upgraded to Girder 5 and would be interested in any pointers for connecting to a Denon receivers over ethernet.

Having done a search on the subject I found it confusing that references are made regarding which version of girder is being used.

Did Girder 5 introduce a major change to the way communication is made?

Is there a Denon device driver sample that uses ethernet?

Any pointers would be much appreciated :)

quixote
March 22nd, 2012, 02:26 AM
If it uses UPnP or DLNA, you could try Tiesk's plug-in.

Beamer
March 22nd, 2012, 04:02 AM
If it uses UPnP or DLNA, you could try Tiesk's plug-in.

The receiver can be controlled by raw TCP and the commands that are identical to those used with the serial protocol.

I have managed to achieve control using Hercules in TCP mode which is a good start.

@Ron can you give me some direction here, not looking to be spoon fed ;) just a good place to start.

FearTheDentist
August 12th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Are you still looking to use Ethernet to control your Denon receiver? I can help, but I'd suggest using serial if possible with your model. The reason I say this is that I've found it MUCH more reliable than Ethernet. The trouble I've had is that the receiver sometimes seems to get "out of sync" with girder when communicating this way- both will be visible on the network but they stop talking to each other for no reason I can find. I have to manually cycle the power on the Denon and reset the lua engine on girder to get them talking again. Usually have to do this several times a week. I finally got tired of it and switched back to serial and have had no further trouble.

I have the 3808CI, yours may be different. It's also worth mentioning that that latest firmware update to the 3808 eliminated the option to manually assign an ip address- it only accepts dhcp now. There may be a way to make this work with girder, but I only know how to do it with static addressing (this is what finally got me to switch back to serial, wish I had done it 2 years ago..).

Let me know if you still need help.

FearTheDentist
August 12th, 2012, 01:04 AM
This might help:
http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?16597-DENON-AVR4306-how-to-control-it

Beamer
September 7th, 2012, 05:22 PM
This might help:
http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?16597-DENON-AVR4306-how-to-control-it

Sorry for my late reply.

I finally concluded that Girder was past its prime after not getting any support from the promixis guys and concluded that the best solution was to find an alternative product. I have ended up using an RTI two way controller & remote to control everything and finally have it working a treat.

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post, I only wish we had made contact sooner as it would have probably saved me a bundle :)