PDA

View Full Version : I'm missing something.

freewheeling
March 28th, 2012, 11:39 PM
I've never used Girder before, and I'm trying to get my head around what it does. I have a USB-UIRT as an input device and I'm trying to set things up so that either SageTV or Windows Media Center is controlled with a remote. I have several universal remotes, one is actually made by Universal and the other by Philips. First of all, when the program starts there's list of applications starting off with Girder Demonstration. What is this list for? Are these plugins? I click on one of the entries but nothing much happens. Am I supposed to highlight an application and then click "Add Remote" if I want to control that application?

When I click on "Add Remote" I get a list of remotes, none of which I own, and then a "new" option. If I click on "new" it asks me to press a button on my remote. So I press a button and my USB-UIRT blinks, but nothing happens in Girder. So does Girder know to use the USB-UIRT for input? I imagine there has to be some hardware way to recognize what my remote is "saying" but the software seems to assume it's done by magic or something. Is there some setting that I should have set to tell it to look at the USB-UIRT, or is it supposed to know that?

freewheeling
April 11th, 2012, 05:03 PM
So, still no response to this and I still have *no idea* how to implement Girder with either WMC or SageTV. I feel like I've purchased another piece of obsolete software, like Show Analyzer, that's no longer supported.

Ron
April 11th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Did you enable the USB-UIRT plugin in Girder?

freewheeling
April 11th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Did you enable the USB-UIRT plugin in Girder?

If I highlight USBUIRT in the component manager and click on "enable" I get a message that the dependencies are loading, but it never migrates over to the "enabled" column. If I hit "reload" the status indicates "loaded" but again, it never migrates over the the enabled column. That would be a start, but I'm not sure I know how to link the key presses to an application. I have Sage set up to respond to the Hauppauge remote, but it doesn't do so except on the extender.

Ron
April 11th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Go to file->settings then find the plugin tab and check that the usb-uirt plugin is enabled and not red. Open the log and restart Girder. Check if the USB-UIRT plugin is not throwing an error.

freewheeling
April 12th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Go to file->settings then find the plugin tab and check that the usb-uirt plugin is enabled and not red. Open the log and restart Girder. Check if the USB-UIRT plugin is not throwing an error.
It says the USB-UIRT driver is loaded, and there was no error message in the logger. Shouldn't there be a SageTV plugin?

freewheeling
April 12th, 2012, 02:25 PM
It says the USB-UIRT driver is loaded, and there was no error message in the logger. Shouldn't there be a SageTV plugin?

Ron
April 12th, 2012, 02:31 PM
No press a button on a remote and look at the log what do you see? (let's fix one thing at a time)

freewheeling
April 12th, 2012, 04:04 PM
No press a button on a remote and look at the log what do you see? (let's fix one thing at a time)

I see the following, after pressing "2" on the Universal remote (set to duplicate Hauppauge remote codes).

USB-UIRT driver 170000830AC0

Ron
April 12th, 2012, 04:11 PM
Excellent. Then your remote + USB-UIRT are working.

Assuming you are trying to control an application on your machine you can setup a profile using:

Now go to view->event mapping and launch the Add Remote Wizard. This is useful if you have a predefined GML file for your application.

Or you can try and directly control your target application with keyboard commands, mouse clicks or command captures.

freewheeling
April 12th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Excellent. Then your remote + USB-UIRT are working.

Assuming you are trying to control an application on your machine you can setup a profile using:

Now go to view->event mapping and launch the Add Remote Wizard. This is useful if you have a predefined GML file for your application.

Or you can try and directly control your target application with keyboard commands, mouse clicks or command captures.

I can't find a SageTV Girder GML. There used to be one but I think the server where it resides was removed. There's some talk in the SageTV forum to use "SendMessage" but I don't know what that is. I don't see a plugin called SendMessage.

freewheeling
April 12th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Ron:

There's a "Universal HTPC" GML that I downloaded on someone's suggestion, but I don't know what to do with it. Sometimes I'm so stupid I amaze myself.

Ron
April 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM
If that GML doesn't work for you, you have to roll up your sleeves and get into this.

The information here:
http://www.freytechnologies.com/2_papers/SageTVWindowsMessages.txt

gives us the numbers we need.

The sendmessage plugin has to be enabled in the plugin list (File->settings->plugins)

Once it's enabled you'll find a sendmessage action in the action drawer (on the left hand side of the main interface) under the folder name "Windows".

Set the message number to 1258 and the wParam and lParam to 7 for play (see the list.)

The targetting has to be setup. According to the doc classname is SAGEWIN and SAGEAPP.

I've attached a GML for your testing pleasure and so you see what to do. (Simply copy that action and modify the number 7 once you confirmed it works).

freewheeling
April 13th, 2012, 04:04 PM
If that GML doesn't work for you, you have to roll up your sleeves and get into this.

The information here:
http://www.freytechnologies.com/2_papers/SageTVWindowsMessages.txt

gives us the numbers we need.

The sendmessage plugin has to be enabled in the plugin list (File->settings->plugins)

Once it's enabled you'll find a sendmessage action in the action drawer (on the left hand side of the main interface) under the folder name "Windows".

Set the message number to 1258 and the wParam and lParam to 7 for play (see the list.)

How do I do this? Sendmessage is enabled and I found the action, but when I click it nothing happens and there doesn't seem to be any window where I can enter a number.

Update: Huh? Now when I click on it a dialogue comes up with a number of tabs and text boxes. Maybe it just took awhile to get rolling.