PDA

View Full Version : Are there any cheap and easy solution to control loose ovens in Europe?

Mastiff
April 10th, 2012, 04:27 AM
I mean floorstanding ovens and wall mounted ovens with a regular power plug. I would like to have something I can control with Girder (wireless since there is no way to route relays controlled by Phidges or similar to the necessary places) so I can turn on the heat in the cabin the day before we drive there in the late fall, winter and early spring. I keep the power on in the cabin (for the fridge and server) at all times, so I can always get to my Girder VM. I was thinking about something like the X-10's, but preferably something newer and (in Europe) a bit cheaper. They tend to be extremely expensive, at least in Norway. Thanks in advance!

KRO74
April 11th, 2012, 02:19 AM
One solution that I am using is a , Tellstick (http://www.telldus.se/), to controll receivers from Nexa (http://www.nexa.se/).
You should be able to find both these at Clas Ohlsson, Teknik Magasinet etc, I think You have these in Norway otherwise you must visit your friendly neighbour in the east, Sweden, and pick up a few.

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 02:24 AM
Tack s mycket! :) Fantastic! Didn't know about those! And yeah, we have those shops here too. Actually one Clas is between here and the cabin, and I can pick them up there. The switches are dirt cheap too, so this is very much withing my budget. Problem solved!

Do you control them with Girder via their web interface, or how do you do it?

Edit: Holy sh...t! There's even a temperature sensor for them, so I know exactly how much I'll freeze when I arrive! I'm very impressed!

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 04:13 AM
Btw are you Kasph at the Telldus forum? I searched for Girder there and came up with one result, a user named Kasph who controls a Tellstick with Girder. I'm wondering if he's/you are using the EventGhost system and sends TCPIP from Girder to the Tellstick system.

Tieske8
April 11th, 2012, 04:22 AM
You can also use RFXCOM devices (http://www.rfxcom.com), they support an even broader range of hardware (though their website is totally crap, their products are extremely versatile)

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks! That's actually an option I didn't know about either. The LAN version is rather expensive, but there is a company in Norway that sells the USB version, and with a 24/7 on server that should do it for me. Do you have much experience with these, and is there code floating around to get both control of switches and get back data from sensors into Girder and/or NetRemote? If there is I would very much consider that instead!

Tieske8
April 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM
The rfxmitter has a girder driver, check my website. The otherones can be easily controlled via xPL. I have the lan version that has native xPL support. The USB versions can be controlled with xPLrfx by xPLMonkey. Just google, (typing this on my phone, hence no emedded links sorry about that)
And obviously there is an xPL component for Girder, also on my site

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Thanks! Sounds good! The one I can get is the RFXtrx433, which I think is newer than the rfxmitter. Only problem I can see is that the RFXtrx433 has "under development" of the XPL component. And I don't know how fast they develop.

Edit: I see the rfxmitter is one way only. I would very much like to have something which I can use temperature sensors on as well, so I know how it's developing. :) But the RFXtrx433 can do that, it's just that "under development" thing that bothers me a bit.

Tieske8
April 11th, 2012, 09:13 AM
look here; http://xplproject.org.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1157 I think it will be available in a couple of weeks.

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Great, thanks again! I sent a mail to the support at the company, but this seems to be rather promising. :) It seems that the unit will arrive in Norway in a couple of weeks to, the 23rd of April is the date on the webshop. So just to be absolutely, totally sure before I buy: I can use this to set up a webpage in Girder that both shows the outpu from sensors (mainly temperature and maybe a smoke sensor) and have switches that lets me turn on and off the ovens, right?

KRO74
April 11th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Btw are you Kasph at the Telldus forum? I searched for Girder there and came up with one result, a user named Kasph who controls a Tellstick with Girder. I'm wondering if he's/you are using the EventGhost system and sends TCPIP from Girder to the Tellstick system.

No, I am not KaspH.
I control Tellstick with tdtool.exe, an applicatin that comes with tellstick, with the Girder "File execute" action and parameters.
And yes, I do manual control via Girder webpage.

Regards

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Aha, I see. Thanks! So you do not get feedback from sensors and stuff to Girder?

Tieske8
April 11th, 2012, 10:21 AM
The xpl component does not integrate with girder device manager, but it shouldn't be to hard to set somethimg up.
Saw your signup at the xPL site, probably best to get yourself somewhat acquinted with xPL. Check my site for the infrastructure checkpackage, xplcatalog app and the girder component. Also download cliniques logger, will come in handy.

Tieske8
April 11th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Aha, I see. Thanks! So you do not get feedback from sensors and stuff to Girder?

For rfxcom devices you would need to have one that has both a receiver and transmitter to do so (rfxmitter has only transmitter, no receiver)

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 10:31 AM
OK, now I need to go one step back here. Do you mean that the RFXtrx433 unit that I just bought (delivered in a couple of weeks) only can transmit? Because I finally decided and ordred the USB unit. They say it may come in to the shop some time next week, if I'm lucky. According to the website it can receive signals from a whole bunch of stuff, like Oregon Scientific weather sensors and NEXA, which is what I'll probably use. Or did you think I was getting an older model? You're confusing my little brain here now...

Anyway, providing that this thing can do receiving, like it says, I do need to do a lot of reading. Or maybe just a lot of begging... ;) Never been a real master of programming things from scratch but I am quite good at taking other peoples stuff, cut away what I don't need and adapt it to my own use. Maybe I can use some of what you have put up. I need to nose around your site, but not today. Still got almost four hours of work left because I've been spending too much time deciding what to do with this "cabin automation" (as opposed to home automation) project!

Edit: Or maybe you mean that your unit only can transmitt, so you don't have anything that receives and thus do not have any code for that?

Tieske8
April 11th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I have both an RFXmitter (USB, transmit, proprietary control protocol) and an RFXlan (ethernet, transmit and receive, open xpl protocol), just used it as an example.

Sorry for confusing your little brain :-)

The RFXtrx433 support transmitting and receiving (table below from the site (http://www.rfxcom.com/transceivers.htm#12103))

Receives 433.92MHz signals of:

ANSLUT,
ATI Remote Wonder,
ATI Remote Wonder II,
ByeByeStandBy,
Chacon,
COCO,
Cresta weather sensors,
DI.O,
Digimax,
Domia Lite,
Dwi,
ebode
ELRO AB600,
HomeEasy,
HomeEasy (including HE105),
HomeEasy EU,
Intertechno,
KD101 - Chacon, NEXA, Flamingo smoke detector
KlikAanKlikUit
La Crosse weather sensors,
(TX2, TX3, TX4, TX17)
LightwaveRF, Siemens (lighting & power),
Mertik Maxitrol,
NEXA,
Oregon Scientific weather sensors, (all 1.0, 2.1 & 3.0)
AW129, AW131, BTHR918, BTHR918N, BTHR968, PCR800, RGR126, RGR682, RGR918, RTGR328N, RTGR328N, STR918, THC138, THC238, THC268, THGN122N, THGN123N, THGN500, THGR122NX, THGR228N, THGR238, THGR268, THGR328N, THGR810, THGR918, THGRN228NX, THN122N/132N, THR128, THR138, THRN122N, THWR288A, UV138, UVN128, UVN800, WGR800, WGR918, WTGR800, WTGR800
Oregon Scientific BWR101/BWR102,
OWL CM113, cent-a-meter, Electrisave,
OWL CM119 / CM160,
PC Remote,
Proove,
RFXMeter,
RFXSensor,
TFA weather sensors,
(TS34C)
UPM/Esic Clas Ohlson
(WT440H,WT450,WT450H)
X10 lighting, X10 security,
X10 Ninja/Robocam,
Xdom.
Transmits 433.92MHz signals for:

ANSLUT,
ATI Remote Wonder,
ATI Remote Wonder II,
Brennenstuhl,
ByeByeStandBy,
Chacon (including EMW200),
COCO,
DI.O,
Domia Lite,
Dwi,
ebode,
ELRO AB400, AB600,
Everflourish EMW100
Harrison curtain,
HomeEasy,
HomeEasy (including HE105),
HomeEasy EU,
Ikea Koppla,
Impuls,
Intertechno,
KD101 - Chacon, NEXA, Flamingo smoke detector
KlikAanKlikUit
LightwaveRF, Siemens (lighting & power),
Mertik Maxitrol,
NEXA,
PC Remote,
Proove,
PT2262 receivers

RTS10 / RFS10 / TLX1206,
Sartano,
Waveman,
X10 lighting, X10 security,
X10 Ninja/Robocam,
Xdom.

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Thanks, that's what I thought! Brain unconfused again...for now. After trying to read up on this stuff I'll probably be like Gumby: "My brain hurts!" ;)

Tieske8
April 11th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Here's a sample page I created using Girdr webserver and jquery mobile to control my gas fired fireplace using the rfxlan; http://www.thijsschreijer.nl/test/gashaard/ allows me to control it from smartphone/tablets

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Simple and nice! Something like I want, this is going to have to be so easy to use that my wife can do it. Hell, maybe my wife's mother! OK, that was probably overdoing the confidence thing a bit... ;) Maybe you could help me out a little bit when I get the unit, if you have the time? I imagine that something that would take me hours and hours to make would be a five minute job for somebody who actually knows what they're doing! :)

Edit: Btw wonder what's happened to smileys here...

Tieske8
April 11th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Edit: Btw wonder what's happened to smileys here...
went for an early summer brake, what would you do if everybody was smiling at you all day long...

Mastiff
April 11th, 2012, 11:49 AM
--__--

--__--

--__--