PDA

View Full Version : "s" continuously printed in Lua console?

jndreu
June 29th, 2012, 08:46 PM
Hoping someone can help me to find the cause of this "anomaly"... every 10 seconds or so I see a lower-case letter "s" printed out on a new line in the lua console. I have poured through my GML files and scripts that I have written and I cannot find anywhere where I may have put this into my code (possibly in an effort to test some sort of function). To be honest, I really don't think this is from anything I've done...

Is there any way to trace where the output in the lua console is coming from so I can figure out what is causing this? It doesn't seem to be affecting any of my Girder functionality but it is really annoying and I would like to make it stop!

Thanks!

Mike C
June 30th, 2012, 04:20 PM
that could be hard....

try searching for print ('s') or print('s') or print ("s") or print("s")

many different combinations.....

jndreu
June 30th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Thanks Mike. I did a search and it is definitely not a "print" command that is causing this. In fact, I've gone line-by-line through every piece of code I've written (it's not a whole lot) as well as every entry in all of my GML files and I cannot find anything that would cause such an output on the console.

I also tried disabling every single component in the component manager, and i don't have any schedules running in the scheduler that could be tied to causing a loop like this either.

Can you or anyone else thing of anything else in Girder that a) could cause a command to be repeated in an infinite loop, or b) either set or print the value of a variable or even more simply output something to the console that is internal to Girder itself?

Would there be a corresponding log file that matches the lua console output that might provide more detail? Is there any debugging state that I can set which might provide more related output to the console that might shed more light on where this is coming from?

Mike C
July 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM
it could be anywhere in a lua file. which components are you using?

jndreu
July 3rd, 2012, 09:16 PM
I'm not running any components on this particular Girder instance. It is just serving an HTPC and all it does is:
a) Monitor an event sink from Windows MCE over TCP
b) send serial commands to my receiver based on those events
c) fire events to another PC running Girder which controls all of my lighting

Mike C
July 10th, 2012, 01:23 PM
you need to do a search on all lua files in the G directories using the various prints above or even search for "s" or 's'

quixote
July 11th, 2012, 11:28 AM
I had the same problem at one point. It may still be present, but I have not been using Girder lately so I can't be certain.
I'll try to find some time to check on that so that I can confirm that the bug is not isolated on your machine.

jndreu
July 11th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks very much, please do let me know what you find... I was 99% sure that I never used a print statement to output that letter even for testing so your comment now makes me 99.9% certain this is the case...

quixote
July 12th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Just wondering, what version of Girder are you using?
Also, are you sure that you are not using any plug-ins?
Thanks.

jndreu
July 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM
I'm using 5.0.14 build 551.

There are several plugins that are currently enabled (pretty much all of the ones that are enabled are the ones which are enabled by default). The only plugin that I am actually using though is the generic serial plugin so girder can talk to my receiver. Everything else I do on this instance of Girder is just trigger events to another Girder instance on another PC which controls my lighting, etc. I'm also not using any components and do not have any components enabled.

quixote
July 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM
You may want to try updating to the latest version of Girder and see if that resolves the problem. I haven't seen the mysterious "s" in my logger since I replied to your post, but I'm using a later version than you are.

jndreu
July 14th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Ok thanks for your help.

jndreu
July 15th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Well, I re-installed everything from scratch and also re-built my GMLs from scratch too. I re-installed using the same version of Girder I was using before.

Through this process I discovered that the cause of the mysterious "s" is due to the MCE IR Remote driver/plugin which I enabled to capture keypresses on my MCE remote! Nothing to do with any of my GMLs or luascript - as soon as I installed this driver and rebooted, it started showing up in the console. Not sure why the driver/plugin outputs this letter to the console or if it indicates any sort of issue but everything seems to work fine - I just can't stop this output from showing up on the console.

Oh well. If anyone out there knows what this means and how it relates to the MCE IR driver, I'd be happy to know!

capler
August 31st, 2012, 03:44 PM
I had the same problem.
I traced it down the OpenMCEIRService transport too.
The culprit file creating those "s" outputs in the Lua console is "mceIr.lua" which resides in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Girder5\luascript\transport\devices\"

I don't know if it's possible to comment out the output without effecting the funcitonality of it
Any pointers?

"mceIr.lua" can be found here: hXXp://code.google.com/p/openmceirservice/source/browse/Girder/mceIr.lua

Ron
August 31st, 2012, 03:47 PM
Good spotting, you can safely remove that "s" printing.

capler
August 31st, 2012, 04:35 PM
Yes, confirmed that changing the following solves this annoying problem...

Find:

OnConnectionCheck = function (self)
self:_GetStatus ()
end,

and change it to:

OnConnectionCheck = function (self)
--self:_GetStatus ()
end,