View Full Version : Will girder work for this type of set-up?

July 2nd, 2012, 02:44 PM
Hi, I have been looking at home automation systems for a few months now and have a pretty good idea of what I would like, but thought I would check with you guys first to make sure i am making the right decision.

I am hoping to swap out my light switchs/fan switchs for remote controls. I will probably start with just one room, and switch out the wall outlets too for automated wall outlets.

While I found the x-10 systems to be accommodating for an easy set-up I find my electronic knowledge to to be nill after looking around for other options, (but willing to learn). It seems to be a bit pointless to pay 100+ to be to lazy to pick up a different remote. My end goal is thus to have my computer which will be hidden with a microphone placed in the wall and a learner and transmitter (luckly looks like I only need an IR learner) in the wall.

My question to is will the girder be able to be programmed to communicate with e-speaking software in which I can program (I dont mind taking the time to learn programming languages) voice commands. I don't mind using other voice software, if you have another recommendation.

My set-up looks like it will consist of either
Tira-2.1, or PIR-1 (as my learner and transmitter)
e-speaking and girder (as software to control the devices)
Plus any basic remote controls for lights/fans/outlets,tvs/radio/ect. (I will probably be buying a new sound and radio system so i don't need to worry about the compatibly at this moment)

What do you thing? Give me your thoughts and your professional opinion if you think this is the way to go. Thank you.

July 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
regarding x10; stay clear of that, horribly unreliable. Try other stuff, Insteon might be a good choice, good support with Girder, or else z-wave, but Girder lacks support for that. Slightly less reliable, (one-way RF), would be the HomeEasy type equipment (see the RFXCOM website for receivers/transmitters for that and supported brands)

regarding voicecontrol; there is some stuff on the forum regarding that, so I suppose it can be done.

further girder can control anything using a ethernet or serial connection, if you have compatible equipment for existing drivers/plugins, or don't mind writing your own (beware of the near vertical learning curve here)

July 3rd, 2012, 08:27 PM
Thank you for your response, I'll stick with the Insteon appliances then. I searched the forums but must of have missed the voice control section so ill do a double back on that.