PDA

View Full Version : Is Girder Dead?

davidsetton
August 8th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Just wondering if Girder is still actively being developed? This forum is not very active anymore and I haven't seen a new version of Girder in a long time.

Ron
August 8th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Yep, We released 5.1 a few days ago. Check the download section.

Girder 6 is in active development.

So no Girder isn't dead.

Tieske8
August 12th, 2012, 06:25 AM
great! Whats the feature list for 6? Any eta for an alpha/beta version?

Ron
August 12th, 2012, 08:53 AM
The biggest changes are:

Core is split from the UI completely and communicates over TCP/IP. This means Girder core can run as a service and/or you can connect remotely. (DONE)
Code is written in cross platform library and compiles on Linux, Mac and Windows (DONE)
Code can be compiled to 32 and 64 bit (DONE)
NetRemote like functionality directly built-in with full 2 way communications (will cross compile to android, and possibly IOS) (WIP)
PEAC backend code pulled into Girder 6, this means drivers for PEAC work on Girder and vice versa. (DONE)
Device Manager code cleanup based upon the now proven PEAC device manager structure. (WIP) (Database backed)
Cleanup and new manual
Lua 5.1 like PEAC (DONE)
No more DUI, this was the largest cause for slow Girder starts and restarts. Startup and restart is virtually instant now. DUI functionality is handled through cross platform library. (DONE)

There is no solid date but I'm quietly aiming at Q4. I might start a closed early alpha test for interested parties.

If you buy Girder 5.x within 3 months before the Girder 6 release get you a free upgrade to Girder 6.
Girder 5 to 6 upgrades outside that time frame get a 50% discount.

VicVonDoom
August 12th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Well thats me interested again!

What flavours of Linux? Hoping it may run on a raspberry pi eventually - now that really would be sweet!

Ron
August 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM
The raspberry pi has definitely been something I've been evaluating. There is nothing as far as I can see that would prevent that. In fact I have PEAC running on a a sheevaplug,.. on of those plug computers. Girder should easily run on them. Note that on Linux and Mac to start off we won't have control over other applications. If possible that will be a second step.

VicVonDoom
August 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Tasty! Not really fussed about the controlling of applications, was thinking more along the lines of a system controller...
From a box no bigger than a packet of cigarettes, we'll have control of our AV racks via ir/ip, control of lighting systems, etc....

Sounds like it'll give other control systems a run for their money - providing it's stable & the netremote-on-android/iOS is forthcoming and EASY to setup!

Keep up the good work!

jprovan
August 13th, 2012, 12:10 AM
I would be interested in being an alpha tester. I am AMX,Crestron, and Control4 certified. I have been writing Lua drivers for Control4 for 2 years. I am fluent in Objective-C/IOS and I have a few Linux kernel modifications published. Java is fairly simple for me.

pfeifer
August 13th, 2012, 05:32 AM
GIP and webserver will be avaiable on Girder 6 as Girder 5?
Bye
Sandro

Ron
August 13th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Funny I wasn't aware control4 went with Lua.... sounds like they had a long look at other systems :) The closed alpha is still a ways off but I'll start a list.

GIP and webserver will be back however in upgraded forms, most likely not directly compatible. GIP is moving to the PEAC transport code. Which is close to the Girder 5 transport but cleaned up and removed race conditions. The webserver is still a WIP.

Ron
August 13th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Here is the signup thread for the closed alpha.

http://www.promixis.com/forums/showthread.php?21404-Girder-6-closed-alpha-application-list&p=146977#post146977

Mastiff
September 5th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Will you be considering compiling the new "NetRemote" for Windows Phone 8 as well? I'm still on a Windows Mobile 6.5 (HTC HD 2), and I am determined not to get another phone before I can get something that's very close to the NetRemote functionality, perferably outside of the browser. And now I'm really slobbering over the Nokia Luma 920 they are revealing just about now. I'm an iHater, and I do not really like my son's Galaxy III, so I would prefer WP8. Well, or maybe a Galaxy Note II. All though that means that I have to buy a whole new wardrobe, at least when it comes to pants! The size of that thing...

Ron
September 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
We've been building the new Girder (with NR like functionality to be done still) as much cross platform as we can. We are using the Qt toolkit which hopefully will support WP8 as well. The direction Qt is taking is looking promising for this.

Mastiff
September 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Thanks, nice to hear! So do you have any tentative, possible, slightly expected date for anything that can give me NR on a WP? (Yeah, I had to ask...) Anyway Qt would be fitting for a Lumia, since it was owned by Nokia...

Ron
September 5th, 2012, 12:09 PM
You are still funny Tor :)

Qt for WP8 seems very likely considering Qt compiles to Windows CE with little trouble.

Mastiff
September 5th, 2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks, nice to hear! So do you have any tentative, possible, slightly expected date for anything that can give me NR on a WP? (Yeah, I had to ask...) Anyway Qt would be fitting for a Lumia, since it was owned by Nokia...

Mastiff
September 5th, 2012, 12:13 PM
You are still funny Tor

Thanks, I try. And when I get my wind back, I try again! ;) OK, then I think I can start weaning myself off the HD2, after three years. I don't think I've had a GSM phone that long ever! I did have my NMT 450 (nordic system with phones about the size of a briefcase and heavy as hell) longer, but the turnover time in models weren't really that fast then.

AKsor
September 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
Now if we could get Z-wave interface integrated Locks, thermostat, lighting would be a complete system worth switching back too ; )

Ron
September 21st, 2012, 06:46 PM
Wouldn't that be fantastic! ;-)

AKsor
September 24th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Do I feel a bit of sarcasm in that last post or is it just me?

And yes it would be fantastik: confused:

Ron
September 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
There might have been some sarcasm :)

I would say it's planned but then again we've said that a few times and every time different things came up so I'm simply not announcing that feature this time

Mastiff
September 25th, 2012, 03:14 AM
There is the option to use XPL and RFXCom/RFXtrx, but that can't do Zwave. Still you can get very far with Nexa and similar stuff, I have done a lot with it.

rgouyet
October 7th, 2012, 04:14 PM
Code is written in cross platform library and compiles on Linux, Mac and Windows (DONE)

Does it mean that Girder could run on a Linux NAS BOX like SYNOLOGY ?
It would be great to be able to avoid to use a dedicated windows workstation to make girder running.

Ron
October 8th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Yes it does mean that. The only caveat is that I would have to compile Girder for the various platforms.

shaun5
October 8th, 2012, 04:00 PM
I want to run it on a Raspberry Pi!!

Ron
October 8th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Yes Girder will in fact I have two sitting here on my desk for that exact purpose!

AKsor
October 15th, 2012, 09:38 AM
It looks like the Raspberry Pi got a memory upgrade to 512 for free

shaun5
October 29th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I have a pi running a kiosk style webpage, but when you get in the GUI it is slow. I have a 2nd pi running headless as a test Apache::ASP server and the performance surprised me (positively). I have much higher hope for intel's NUC, but it the actual price is higher than expected: a Mac Mini is probably going to be the easiest / powerful appliance to deploy...

Ron
October 29th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah GUI is slow on the Pi, however since Girder 6 has a split design the GUI doesn't need to run on the Pi at all. It can run on a desktop machine.

Pinkie2
July 7th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Well, how is it going?

Ron
July 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM
It's going well. We are getting close to public beta.