PDA

View Full Version : help to simplify code please. concatenate dynamic variables

jon1977
August 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Hi,
I'm trying to simplify some working code I have which connects girder to my heatmiser thermostats.
An extract is shown below (note, variables are declared elsewhere, this is just an extract and works fine, but is only part of a very long winded way of extracting bytes of data from a datastream and putting the values in a table)

#
Self.WeekdayTime1Hour = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",50,50))/1
Self.WeekdayTime1Minute = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",51,51))/1
Self.WeekdayTime1Temp = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",52,52))/1
Self.WeekdayTime2Hour = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",53,53))/1
Self.WeekdayTime2Minute = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",54,54))/1
Self.WeekdayTime2Temp = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",55,55))/1
Self.WeekdayTime3Hour = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",56,56))/1
Self.WeekdayTime3Minute = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",57,57))/1
Self.WeekdayTime3Temp = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",58,58))/1
Self.WeekdayTime4Hour = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",59,59))/1
Self.WeekdayTime4Minute = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",60,60))/1
Self.WeekdayTime4Temp = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",61,61))/1
Self.WeekendTime1Hour = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",62,62))/1
Self.WeekendTime1Minute = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",63,63))/1
Self.WeekendTime1Temp = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",64,64))/1
Self.WeekendTime2Hour = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",65,65))/1
Self.WeekendTime2Minute = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",66,66))/1
Self.WeekendTime2Temp = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",67,67))/1
Self.WeekendTime3Hour = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",68,68))/1
Self.WeekendTime3Minute = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",69,69))/1
Self.WeekendTime3Temp = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",70,70))/1
Self.WeekendTime4Hour = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",71,71))/1
Self.WeekendTime4Minute = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",72,72))/1
Self.WeekendTime4Temp = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",73,73))/1

I had hoped to loop through the various parts that make up the variable name (i.e. weekend/weekday/mon-sun etc.) then the time (1,2,3,4) and the data (hr, min, temp)
I have done this successfully in netremote, so know the theory is right. (again, the code below is just an extract of the full file)

Self.TheDay={
[1] = "Weekday",
[2] = "Weekend",
[3] = "Monday",
[4] = "Tuesday",
[5] = "Wednesday",
[6] = "Thursday",
[7] = "Friday",
[8] = "Saturday",
[9] = "Sunday"
}
Self.TimeGroup={
[1] = "1",
[2] = "2",
[3] = "3",
[4] = "4"
}
Self.TheData={
[1] = "Hour",
[2] = "Minute",
[3] = "Temp"
}

Self.DSTIndex = 50
for s_TheDay = 1,2,1 do
for s_TimeGroup = 1,4,1 do
for s_TheData = 1,3,1 do
Self.."."..(s_TheDay).."Time"..(s_TimeGroup)..(s_TheData) = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",Self.DSTIndex,Self.DSTIndex))/1
Self.DSTIndex = Self.DSTIndex + 1
end
end
end

The issue is how to build up (concatenate?) the variable name before the =
The error I get is:

...ram Files\Promixis\Girder5\\luascript\compat-5.1.lua:93: error loading module `HOUSE.Thermostat' (C:\Program Files\Promixis\Girder5\luascript\HOUSE/Thermostat.lua:336: `=' expected near `..')

where line 336 is:

Self.."."..(s_TheDay).."Time"..(s_TimeGroup)..(s_TheData) = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",Self.DSTIndex,Self.DSTIndex))/1

I'd appreciate anyone being able to advise how to do what I'm after.

With thanks
Jon

Tieske8
August 30th, 2012, 12:43 AM
...ram Files\Promixis\Girder5\\luascript\compat-5.1.lua:93: error loading module `HOUSE.Thermostat' (C:\Program Files\Promixis\Girder5\luascript\HOUSE/Thermostat.lua:336: `=' expected near `..')

where line 336 is:

I think that won't work because your assigning the result of an expression (right side of '=') to the result of another expression (left side of '=')
try something like

local temptable = {}
local constructed_name = Self.."."..(s_TheDay).."Time"..(s_TimeGroup)..(s_TheData)
local value = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",Self.DSTIndex,Self.DSTIndex))/1
-- now assign value to calculated name, in the temp table
temptable[constructed_name] = value

So use the block quotes [] to assign to a dynamic name in a table.
HTH.

jon1977
August 30th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks for that.
I tweeked it slightly, and addressed another issue with looking up the group names and the following seems to work fine:

Self.TheDay={
[1] = "Weekday",
[2] = "Weekend",
[3] = "Monday",
[4] = "Tuesday",
[5] = "Wednesday",
[6] = "Thursday",
[7] = "Friday",
[8] = "Saturday",
[9] = "Sunday"
}
Self.TimeGroup={
[1] = "1",
[2] = "2",
[3] = "3",
[4] = "4"
}
Self.TheData={
[1] = "Hour",
[2] = "Minute",
[3] = "Temp"
}

Self.DSTIndex = 50
for s_TheDay = 1,2,1 do
for s_TimeGroup = 1,4,1 do
for s_TheData = 1,3,1 do
local dynamic_variable = (Self.TheDay[s_TheDay]).."Time"..(Self.TimeGroup[s_TimeGroup])..(Self.TheData[s_TheData])
local dynamic_value = math.hextodecimal(table.concat(transport.devices.H eatmiserLink.HOUSE.TH,"",Self.DSTIndex,Self.DSTIndex))/1
Self[dynamic_variable] = dynamic_value
Self.DSTIndex = Self.DSTIndex + 1
end
end
end

thanks again.
Jon