PDA

View Full Version : retrieve EDID information ?

stef
January 12th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Hi everybody

i'm using girder with 2 displays : a videoprojector and a LCD monitor
i'm using a script that set the frequency of the display depending on the media to 23Hz if the projector is the active display (which handles 23Hz), and to 50Hz if the monitor is the active display (doesn't handle 23Hz).
(i've got another script that switches the display with a USBUIRT remote action...)

it all worked well till i noticed that when disconnecting one the display (which actually can occur a lot), the mapping of the displays in girder changes :
for example:
in the variable inspector windows, monitors.monitor[1] is the LCD monitor / monitors.monitor[2] is the projector, right ?
but when disconnecting/connecting the displays, [1] may become projector and [2] may become LCD and vice versa, hence making my scripts non functional

what i'm looking for is a way to retrieve the exact name of the currently active display before triggering the script, that way disconnecting/reconnecting the displays wouldnt cause any issue anymore
i thought of the Edid thing, but didn't manage to find any third part software that would provide the currently active display, neither with windows registry.

sure i'm missing something, please tell me what.

thanks

stef

stef
January 14th, 2013, 01:25 PM
hi again

i'm still stuck with this issue

no answer so far from anyone:
- is my problem that weird and rare ?
- isn't there any solution ?
- did anyone just understand what i wrote ? maybe is it just a matter of language (as you surely noticed i'm not native english speaker)

just a word from anyone, please...?

stef

Ron
January 15th, 2013, 07:51 AM
If the windows subsystem is switching the order of displays I'm not sure how easy it will be to track which one is which.

stef
January 15th, 2013, 11:25 AM
hi

thanks for your answer

as far as you know is there any way to retrieve both the name of the display (PLB2712HDS...) and its state ? just like in the default windows display settings (see attachment)

thanks again

stef

Mike C
January 17th, 2013, 07:40 PM
does the Monitor DeviceName or DeviceString not have the monitor name? can you use the resolution of the display to determine which is which?

stef
January 18th, 2013, 04:48 AM
the monitor devicenames are "\\.\DISPLAY1" and "\\.\DISPLAY2", where i'd like to read something like "PLB2712HDS" and "VW40", and those seems to change too
both displays are set to 1920/1080, i cant use the resolution
neither can i use devicedriver or driverversion as they are the same...

thanks for your help

stef

Mike C
January 19th, 2013, 02:35 PM
wonder if you can do a mode change that only works on one monitor so you can determine which one it is?