PDA

View Full Version : Girder stops responding after running for a half a day.

mkanet
May 6th, 2013, 02:57 PM
I've been using my current installation of Girder 5 for a few years now. In the last 6 months or so, I've had a very annoying problem that I can't figure out.

Girder loads to the Win7 64bit system task tray on startup. It is fully functional for about a half a day or so. After a half a day, Girder will stop responding to events (from my remote control or via, EVENT "eventname" 18). In fact, if I right-click Girder icon in system tray and select, "Exit Girder", Girder will not exit memory. I have to kill the process from task manager, then start Girder up again for it to become fully functional again.

At first, I thought it might be related to the hardware that it controls (CM11 X10 serial device and USB-UIRT device). However, restarting Girder is all I need to do in order to use the hardware it controls again. So, it doesn't seem to be a general system/driver instability; especially since the PC itself is still stable; and, so are all it's peripherals.

I'm curious what would explain this behavior and what steps I can take to fix this problem? I tried upgrading from Girder 5.0 to Girder 5.1 (in the same directory as before), but that didn't fix the problem. Maybe there are data or temp files that have been compromised? I obviously want to keep as much of the settings/configuration as possible since it took me a long time to set them up. I would really appreciate suggestions most likely causes; and, the least time-consuming way to fix the problem.

PS: Although, I didn't think hardware could be the issue, I replaced both the CM11 X10 serial interface as well and as it's serial to USB adapter; since those parts were pretty old. However, that didn't help any.

Thanks so much in advance,
Michael

Ron
May 6th, 2013, 03:00 PM
My first thought: If you have not changed girder when this started to happen and Girder ran for 5 years previously it's not likely to be Girder.

Second: The good old. disable all plugins and scripts and see if the problem goes away. If it goes away start enabling stuff until you find the culprit.

mkanet
May 6th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Ron! This installation of Girder 5 was only running for about two years at most.

Let's say I disable plugins until I find the the plugin that causes it. Then what? I only have two hardware peripherals that Girder controls; and, I've already verified they work fine 24/7 without Girder (using their own applications). I'm just not sure what I would do if I narrow it down a a specific plugin.

EDIT: I just disabled the USB-UIRT plugin. This is the only piece of hardware on my PC that I've had for over 7 years. Hopefully, this is the problem.. and, all I have to do is replace it!

Ron
May 6th, 2013, 03:16 PM
2 years my first thought still stands.

well usually narrowing down what the cause is will give some answers, or at least more questions to get closer to the answer. If you have other ideas I'm of course happy to work along those lines too.