PDA

View Full Version : Girder 5.1 64-bit support?

jndreu
January 12th, 2014, 02:51 PM
I am currently running G 5.0 WHP on two 32-bit PCs on my network which are communicating with each other as well as NetRemote.

One of these is my HTPC which I would like to upgrade to a 64-bit OS. I will need Girder to be able to monitor the launch/closing of Windows Media Center, which will become a 64-bit application in the new OS. Can Girder 5.1 handle this task? If it can, will 5.1 also be able to communicate with my other 5.0 install as well as NetRemote the way they are all working together right now? Any limitations I need to be aware of?

Ron
January 12th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Girder 5.x will most likely not be able to communicate with a 64bit application due to the process isolation between 32 and 64 bits processes on Windows. Girder 6 should be able to monitor a 64bit app as it comes in a 64bit version.

jndreu
January 12th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Hmmm that's unfortunate... for me to use Girder 6 I would have to buy a new license?

I thought I saw some development go into building 64-bit support for G5.1 a while back?

jndreu
January 12th, 2014, 08:29 PM
Also I have a huge dependence (as I'm sure MANY others do based on the popularity of his thread) on Mike's PLM component in G5, and as I understand, this component will not work in G6?

I'm at a bit of a cross-road here and not sure what to do... I am about to build a brand new HTPC and it would pain me to buy brand new hardware and then go and run a 32-bit OS on it again! Is there any down-side to sticking with a 32-bit OS in terms of functionality or system stability?

Ron
January 13th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Girder 5.1 x64 bridge never worked satisfactory. It's development showed us we needed to move to a 64 bit platform.

The PLM component won't work. There will be a replacement but it's not done yet.