PDA

View Full Version : Newbie USB-UIRT getting started

jctcom2
November 9th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Hi all. This seems to be more complicated than I remember. I had played around with Girder years ago but didn't really get anywhere.

I have a USB-UIRT receiver and I would really like to get it working to run my Windows 10 computer and especially my JRiver Media Center (Version 21) software.

I have enabled the USB-UIRT device in the "Device Manager". I then went into the "Available Actions" and down to the "USBUIRT\Send" area.

I Double clicked on the "Send" which created a new "Send" action under the action tree where I had created the Group "Windows". I had renamed the top level under the Action Tree so it looks like: "JRiver MC 21\Windows\Send"

When I double click the "Send" in that section I get the windows below with the "CCF", Repeats (Changed to "1" from "0"), Zone (All).
I click on the "Learn" button which opens up a new window with again a "CCF" window and another "Learn" button. I click on the second "Learn" button. When I click on the button from the remote I would like to "Learn" from I can see the red light blinking on the USB-UIRT device but I don't get anything happening in the CCF windows (Which I believe is where the button code is supposed to go?)

Nothing happens in the "Progress" or "Quality" areas either.

I am sure I must have missed a step and will be reading more thoroughly about Girder 6 in the future as I think I would like to use it to control my Z-Wave items etc as well. But for now I just want to get my Windows and JRiver Media Center going so I can make a decision as to whether or not to purchase Girder pro.

Any help much appreciated.

On a side note. I had to create a new user name for some reason. I had one years ago (JCTCOM) but for some reason when I tried to log in with that one it comes back saying I have been banned for no particular reason. I am guessing it just became inactive for non use. But I would like to continue with my original user name if at all possible?

Carl.

Ron
November 9th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Is anything else using the USBUIRT? Maybe JRMC? If not when learning you must hold the remote pretty close, like 1-4 inches away from the USB-UIRT.

I've reactivated your old account.

jctcom2
November 9th, 2015, 05:57 PM
I just tried after closing Jriver MC and server. Also tried moving closer to the USB-UIRT (But if the light is blinking indicating that it is receiving the signal shouldn't Girder see it as well?)

If I log in with my old ID can this thread be ported over to that somehow? or should I just continue with this ID for this particular thread?

Ron
November 9th, 2015, 06:24 PM
just start answering in your old ID. Are you on X64 or X86?

jctcom
November 9th, 2015, 06:30 PM
Yeah. I figured that out about 20 seconds after I posted the question.

Running Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit. Clean install not upgrade.

The USB-UIRT does work within JRiver MC and is also able to learn commands etc... (Within JRiver MC.) But it only has a limited command set for running MC and not for running commands outside of MC.

Which is why I am again looking at Girder. That plus as previously mentioned the possibility of running my Z-Wave components. (All of this via my Harmony Elite universal remote)

Carl.

Ron
November 9th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I'll dig out the USB-UIRT tomorrow and have a look.

Ron
November 10th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Looks like I am not going to be able to get this done today. Tomorrow we're closed for Veterans day, so hopefully I'll be able to look at it on Thursday. Please give the 32 bit version a try, it might to better with the USB-UIRT driver.

jctcom
November 10th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Ok. So I uninstalled the 64-Bit and installed the 32-bit. I managed to get it to learn an IR code from the remote I am trying to use. (Not sure if it was actually the changing to 32-bit or discovering that I really do need to get the remote within about 2 inches of the USB-UIRT during learning). Why does the sensitivity of the device change so much during the learning process?

In any case. Now I need to figure out how to attach the windows Keyboard shortcut that I want to use with this button? I would like windows to perform a "Ctrl+Alt+J" but I don't see anywhere in Girder to tell it this?

Maybe I am in the wrong place? Here is a screen shot of what I have so far: aid.jct.ca/girder/button1.jpg (You will have to add the h t t p etc... in front as I am not allowed to included web links yet.)

Not sure how to get the image to show inline so that will have to do for now.

Thanks.

jctcom
November 14th, 2015, 01:32 PM
Can anyone give me the info I requested above to get me started on this? I would like to figure this out before my trial expires.

Thanks.

Carl.

Ron
November 16th, 2015, 07:36 AM
Enable the keyboard Control plugin. Then add a Keyboard\Send To Foreground action. I haven't tried but does *@J work? See actions\keyboard section in the manual.

jctcom
November 16th, 2015, 10:47 AM
What works is Ctrl+Alt+J on the keyboard (Created this as a keyboard shortcut on the MC 21 desktop link). But when I look at the Keyboard and try to edit the "Text To Send" it does not seem to register the "Ctrl" or "Alt". All that happens is MC21 opens but the text box remains empty. The *@J you are talking about might work from within MC21 to refocus the window. But as far as I can tell it does not work if MC21 is closed.

Ron
November 16th, 2015, 11:07 AM
Try to send it via a targeted action instead of foreground. Keyboard emulation while not in foreground is always tricky.

jctcom
November 16th, 2015, 12:01 PM
The problem I am having it not whether or not it is targeted. The problem I have is that I don't know how to get it to accept the keystrokes of "Ctrl" & "Alt" since these do not register when I hit the keys in the "Text to Send" window?

Carl

jctcom
November 19th, 2015, 06:43 PM
So is there no way to add keyboard commands that use modifiers such as "Ctrl", "Alt" & "Shift"?

Carl

Ron
November 19th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Keyboard emulation doesn't always work (it's a bit of a hack since windows doesn't properly support this). The way to enter ctrl, alt, shift + j is by typing *@^J (see manual under actions\keyboard)

Anyway what are you trying to do with that keystroke? Just start MediaCenter? There are other actions that can start a program.

jctcom
November 21st, 2015, 12:04 AM
Ok Here is what I want to do. I want to learn an IR signal from a button on a remote. once learned when I hit that button I want the computer to produce a keyboard combination which I assign. In this case "CTRL"+"ALT"+"J".

I don't think this should be rocket science. But I can learn the button from the remote but I don't see where to tell Girder what I want the computer to do when it receives a signal from that button.

I would really appreciate a simple step by step instruction on creating the above scenario in Girder 6.

Thanks.

Carl.

Ron
November 22nd, 2015, 01:16 PM
Certainly. The manual has a section called "Tutorials". In there you find "Hook Events to Actions". Also the video Events Macros and Actions (http://www.promixis.com/videos.php?v=events_macros_and_actions) should be helpful.

Events from the USB-UIRT come in all the time (see event log), you don't need to switch to -learn- mode for reception, only if you wish to send out IR codes do you need to go into learn mode.

jctcom
November 24th, 2015, 08:09 PM
The Vido in the link provided for "Events Macros And Actions" did not work for me.

The Tutorial > Hook Events to Actions at leasted pointed me in the right direction and got me started. I think I will be able to get the basic stuff I am looking for now.

Thanks for you help. They really need to do a basic "Girder For Dummies" manual or something though. The whole manual seems to give instructions based on someone being already familiar with the software etc...

Thanks again.

Carl.