PDA

View Full Version : Lost all my settings - is there a way to recover?

outage
January 8th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Hello,

I had Girder running as a service on my Windows 10 machine for about three months. Around New Year I lost all my settings. NetRemote showed me a empty screen and after connecting to my Girder service backend all action tree content was gone as well.

I did not tamper with Girder for about two months and everything worked nicely during this time.

All of a sudden, everything is gone.

The Girder Automation Controller Service is running with the local system account and I guess that it always did like this.

I would really like to get my data back somehow as the configuration required some amount of work. Maybe for some reason the "Local System Account" switched and my configuration is still somewhere on my hard disk. Any idea on where I could search would be appreciated.

Regards,

Stefan

Ron
January 8th, 2016, 03:25 PM
That is no good. Do a search for girder.db make sure you search in all users' directories. (By default windows will not search in other user directories or hidden directories, so make sure it is) If you find any zip up those whole directories so you have them safe. Then report back...

outage
January 8th, 2016, 03:50 PM
Hello again,

I found three girder.db files.

One under a user account, which I had probably played with when I started with Girder.

The second one is probably the one that is currently in use:
C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\L ocal\Promixis\Girder 6\girder.db
Folder size: 23 KB
girder.db modification time: Jan/01 2016 3:54 am

The third one seems to be the one that I used before
C:\Windows.old\WINDOWS\System32\config\systemprofi le\AppData\Local\Promixis\Girder 6\girder.db
Folder size: 164KB
girder.db modification time: Oct/06 2015 8:53 pm

Date of C:\Windows.old Jan/01 2016 3:46

This looks like some Windows Update has been executed. I definitely had Windows 10 before that date.

Ron
January 8th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Exit Girder fully ( stop the service and all). Zip up what you have in all three directories. Then place what is in the .old directory into the current directory. Restart Girder. Does that get you back what you had?

outage
January 9th, 2016, 01:48 AM
Hooray, this brought back my Girder configuration.

Ron
January 9th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Well I'm glad it's back! Keep a backup.