PDA

View Full Version : Wayne-Dalton WDHA-12R Homelink to z-wave bridge

caseyp
April 3rd, 2016, 10:01 AM
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for any suggestions on integrating this Wayne-Dalton WDHA-12R Homelink to z-wave bridge with my Girder system. For those that don't know, Homelink is the system of 3 programmable garage door remote buttons in a lot of cars (typically on the rear view mirror or visor). This is a pretty old device and the way it works is pretty screwy. I've actually had to use HomeSeer to accomplish a lot of this procedure where I can then move back to Girder 6...

1. Using HomeSeer I copy network data from my primary z-wave controller (Aeon Labs Z-Stick) to the Homelink bridge
NOTE: Once that's complete it then shows up as a node in the network (in Girder it appears to be an incomplete device until I re-add it as a new node, it then shows up as "Basic" but it cannot transmit anything to the primary controller/Girder

2. I can then go to a z-wave device such as a light switch, hold down the first button while it lights, goes out, then comes back on solid and I hold up on the light switch and it programs the on function to button 1. I can then repeat this for button 2 and pressing off on the light switch and I could do the same for another device on button 3.
NOTE: This now acts as a secondary controller and can perform each programmed function. The problem however is that Girder never knows it does anything as the communication goes straight to the device (not sure if it can hop the z-wave network or not). It never raises an event on the triggered device either.

A side note about the device: When programming the device it operates on an internal 9V battery and will not relay Homelink commands until plugged into line voltage. I think it works something like a battery operated z-wave remote but I've never had one so I'm not sure of that.

So given all of this the only solution I can think of is this. I will wire in a z-wave light switch which controls nothing directly, that is nothing is connected to the load terminal of the switch. I will then program the Homelink bridge to turn the switch on & off. I will then have to set girder to issue the zwave.poll command on a timed basis, whether it's every 5 seconds or whatever and wait for the status of the switch to change in Girder to then send a signal to my door lock to lock/unlock. What I'm not sure of is whether or not this will have a big performance impact on Girder doing all this repeated polling of the device. I'm doing something similar every 60 seconds right now with 3 dimmer switches that do not properly report their level until they have finished changing and have been polled.

There is a way to control HomeSeer with basically one button from the control but HomeSeer cannot tell which button was pressed for whatever reason. The only controller I've seen so far that can work with it directly, all 3 buttons is Vera and there is a youtube video showing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdMJ4CJ7gnE and there is a wiki page showing info about it: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Wayne-Dalton_WDHA-12

So if anyone has any input on this or suggestions on another method I'm all ears.

Thanks,
Casey

Amazon Page: http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-Dalton-WDHA-12R-HomeSettings-Wireless-Gateway/dp/B001HL3CS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1459695496&sr=8-1&keywords=wayne+dalton+wdha-12R

Ron: If you'd happen to have time to look at this thing I could mail it to you and maybe you'd be able to incorporate whatever it needs into Girder's z-wave plugin.