PDA

View Full Version : Using IR remote to send keyboard commands to home media PC, not sure how to do this..

MikeyW1969
April 30th, 2016, 05:08 PM
Hi all,
New to Girder, but I have(What would seem like) a pretty simple goal, I just don't find a lot of people talking about something similar, so I'm not sure.

I currently have a home media PC running Kodi. This is designed to use all keyboard controls. Arrow keys are for navigation. Backspace goes to the previous screen, 'Enter' and the left mouse button make a selection, and 'Escape' goes back to the main screen. Nothing fancy here, no special keys or functions, I navigate with either a mouse or a standard keyboard.

I have a Proximis PIR-1, and an old DIrecTV remote(Which is still one of the best remote layouts I've used). I have the remote added, just fine, input is showing up, all that jazz. The keyboard is recording key presses in the Logger as well. I just can't figure out how to set up the basic file to control the computer. All I need to do is figure out how to send a keypress(Such as the 'up' arrow) and have it work, and then it's relatively smooth sailing. The problem is; the closest tutorial tells me how to send a specific keypress to the calculator, and that's it. It doesn't really help me with Kodi, as there's really no 'key' to drag the target icon to like in the tutorial, which uses the calculator.

Are there better tutorials which would show this, or some base file I start with? I'm assuming that all I do is set something up, then change the "Keyboard Input" to what is showing up in the logger for the keys I'm looking for. Is there a 3rd party plugin that I should be looking for?

One final question, my next step in the process: How do the files work that are exported? Can they be cross-platform? I prefer to run my media center on Linux Mint(Based on Ubuntu), and would like to keep it that way if possible, rather than switch to Windows. Just not sure what kind of file gets exported, I know I've seen some users at my job where I first learned about the Proximis basically made a batch file of some kind to run.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help. I hope I added enough detail, and I apologize if I missed an already existing post on a similar topic.

Ron
May 9th, 2016, 07:53 PM
Have a look at https://www.promixis.com/videos.php for examples on how to use Girder. That should get you started. As far as cross platform goes Girder as you know is cross platform. The .GML files can be read on Linux and Windows, but not all actions are available on both or are different. Basically develop on the platform that you are targeting is the best approach.