PDA

View Full Version : Parallel port driver questions

Mark F
October 13th, 2002, 04:55 PM
Michael,

I think I left out something. I haven't found a free source for the IEEE 1284 bus spec but it appears (from a TI hardware data sheet (http://www-s.ti.com/sc/psheets/slls189d/slls189d.pdf)) that I need to toggle a bit in the control port to allow the reading of the data port in EPP mode.

I'll do this now and send a copy to you. This should allow you to put the bits on to the 8 data pins.

Mark F
A new version (1.3) is on it's way. I don't have hardware that generates data on the data bits so I haven't tested that part. If it doesn't I'll need to rig something up to my parallel port so I can figure this out.

Mark F
Hmmm. I get status bit 4 and 7 every time I turn the printer on and off.

What do you mean by "Are you sure that no other driver on your system is using this port on setup?" There is a driver in most Windows systems using the parallel port (namely the parallel port driver) but it shouldn't be touching the hardware unless you are printing.

I'm at work the rest of this week (holiday is over) so I'll have to try to set something up in the evening.

Michael H
Hi guys,

I'm trying to get the parallel port driver to work but no luck so far.

I want to hook up 8 pushbuttons to the data-pins of the parallel port.
I assume that the parallel-driver from Mark should be able to do this!?!?!

I already found out that the printer-port MODE is important so i tried ECP and EPP in the bios because these are used for bi-directional communication.

But how do i switch them from acting as output to input?

If i measure the voltage on the pins then i find that these are all switched to ground!!!

I can use status-bit 3 and 5 but i need more (ofcourse)

I've tried 2 computers, one with WIN-ME and one with WIN-95.

Who has the answer??????

Cheers,

Michael

Michael H
Yep,

I also found out the bit 5 of the control register needs to be toggled.
Than the 8 data-bits change to three-state!

Now it's your turn to make this possible!

After that i'll publish the small circuit diagram to connect 8 buttons to the data-register.
After all, that's where people use this driver for!

bye

Michael H
This new version doesn't work!

Are you sure that no other driver on your system is using this port on setup?

Again only status bit 3 and 5 are readable.

Michael