PDA

View Full Version : Advantages to a dual boot system....

BSchuler
October 13th, 2002, 04:55 PM
A trick that has helped me out more than any other is having a dual boot system. Basically, 1 pc but with 2 operating systems. You can pick up a program called Partition Magic (that comes with boot magic, a boot menu program to pick what operating system you wish to use when you turn your pc on) fairly cheap nowadays. You can even hide the extra O.S. you made for remote pcing so your system seems normal in daily use. As if nothings changed from what it was, just short a few hundred megs....

Why a dual boot for remote pcing? Because the small space you lose in having a second operating system pales in comparison to what options it opens up to you.

You wouldn't want you normal day to day pc to hide the mouse cursor on boot, or specialized settings made for remote easyness for programs to be a constant thing. That can be annoying and can screw up the initial state of programs when you try to control them remotely. But having a second OS allows you to change everything... to take advantage of being remote and fixes many problems.

My second OS, the remote one, Hides the cursor automatically when not in use for more than 1 sec...(Cursor Hider).. hides the desktop icons for a clear desktop, just the backround picture (Invisible 2001). It also boots into TV out mode so it's ready to go. Add this to having specialized windows & program settings..and it is easy for people who see your system to think your not even in WINDOWS!

Just my 2 cents....