PDA

View Full Version : Smooth mouse emulation using girder (including acceleration)

ermon
December 8th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Hi all,

I have been struggling with mouse support on girder for a while, and after looking through this board and the web for a solution - I decided I had to make something myself.
Now, this is a little of a hack, as it relies on the AlarmTimer plugin, but it works fairly well for me.

Mouse control also requires the WinLUA Ex plugin by Mark Fiechtner, so be sure to download it and activate it.

The attached Mouse.GML file is set for my X10/ATI plugin, but can easily be adapted for other remotes, as long as they have an up & down message, with the down message supplying the direction of movement.
Same goes for the mouse buttons.

In general, all 'up' messages should go to 'MouseUp', while the down messages go to their respective MouseX command.

If anyone has a better solution, or an idea of how to improve mine, I would be happy to hear about it :)

Enjoy,
-Eyal.

Juho L
December 13th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Hi!

I've got ATI's Remote Wonder. Mouse movement can be improved more, at least to achieve the smoothness of ATI's own drivers' mouse moving.

Pointer shouldn't lose gained speed, when changing direction for example from "up" to "up-left". Your plug-in starts the acceleration from zero, when my thumb slips to "up-left" accidentally when moving "up". Ati's drivers keep it going max speed, and pointer is much more faster to use.

Doubleclick feature can/should be added, since ATI's remote returns for example X10_DN_LButtonDoubleClick through X10net.dll.

With small improvements it's gonna be perfect :D, keep up the good work!

ccclapp
December 21st, 2002, 10:04 AM
Hi!

I've got ATI's Remote Wonder. Mouse movement can be improved more, at least to achieve the smoothness of ATI's own drivers' mouse moving.

Pointer shouldn't lose gained speed, when changing direction for example from "up" to "up-left". Your plug-in starts the acceleration from zero, when my thumb slips to "up-left" accidentally when moving "up". Ati's drivers keep it going max speed, and pointer is much more faster to use.

Doubleclick feature can/should be added, since ATI's remote returns for example X10_DN_LButtonDoubleClick through X10net.dll.

With small improvements it's gonna be perfect :D, keep up the good work!

I have been thinking about the ATI Remote wonder. I am a ProntoPro/Girder User. Since you have and are using one would you answer a few questions:

What is the root of the functionality of this remote? Is it simply IR commands that can be learned and shared in ProntoEdit, etc? You talk a aout a driver. If that is key, is is a matter of having the driver and then learning the IR codes? Of is it somehow all more complicated/proprietary than this? Having said all of this, I don't really mind buying one...my bigger concern is not to have another device. If I buy one, can I learn its functions into the Pronto, or do I need to use the actual remote? Lastly, what is the significance of Girder with this remote? It sounds like this remote provides an altenative to Girder for the commands it controls.

Thanks for your help :)

--Caleb

Juho L
December 22nd, 2002, 02:15 AM
What is the root of the functionality of this remote? Is it simply IR commands that can be learned and shared in ProntoEdit, etc? You talk a aout a driver. If that is key, is is a matter of having the driver and then learning the IR codes? Of is it somehow all more complicated/proprietary than this? Having said all of this, I don't really mind buying one...my bigger concern is not to have another device. If I buy one, can I learn its functions into the Pronto, or do I need to use the actual remote? Lastly, what is the significance of Girder with this remote? It sounds like this remote provides an altenative to Girder for the commands it controls.

ATI's Remote Wonder is an RF remote control. It uses frequencies near 400 MHz. I assume ProntoPro can only emulate IR remote controllers.

RF receiver is connected to USB port and you need a driver to attach it to the system. ATI's own software is very limited, and you can assing limited custom commands to only 6 buttons. I'd like to have more freedom and applications with Girder. Remote is very handy, when controlling through walls, and when placing the receiver wisely you can have great distance with it. :)

ccclapp
December 22nd, 2002, 08:52 AM
Thanks!

Unless the Pronto can deal with RF I will pass. My goal is to reduce the required number of separate remotes. Also, I believe there are other ways to gain the same functionality over mouse control (if anyone does this well using Pronto/Girder please tell me your recommendations :) )

Thanks again.

--Caleb

cicssjw
December 28th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Brilliant !!!!!!!!! :lol:

I was just looking into how I could do this with my ATI remote and found your post. I downloaded the file and it worked first time !!!!! :lol:

Thanks again

Francois
December 29th, 2002, 04:51 PM
Just as a FYI, the GML script posted in this thread can be adapted to work with a pronto, or any other remote control with works with the buttonmode plug-in.

Here's a version which works with my Pronto...

ngifford
January 20th, 2003, 01:27 PM
Mouse improvement. I have taken ermon's scripts and stuff and added a little bit of scripting to reset aceleration. The program (if you can call it that) now waits 1.5 seconds and then resets the acceleration.

So, bottom line is that if you press a direction for a while and stop, the mouse will still move quickly if you press another button within 1.5 seconds.

Also has support for Winamp3, ATI buttons are now added properly I think and there is some support for ATI programs (TV, DVD etc) but it is disabled and needs work.

Let me know how people like this!!

File is found at http://members.rogers.com/ultimatefrisbee/RemoteDownload.htm

Thanks.

Treetop
April 27th, 2004, 03:11 PM
I just tried to look at this, and quickly ran into a wall. The Nick123.gml (from the above link) is displayed as an xml file. I've read that .gml data is stored in this format, so I thought a simple copy/paste and renaming the extension would work, but I keep getting an "unable to load data file". I went to view the xml in IE, and an error that the header was incorrect was produced. what am I doing wrong? I must be overlooking something, but Im stumped. So how do you take an xml file and convert it to a gml? Has this been developed as a plug-in, and I just overlooked it? I took another glance, but didn't see anything like this.

Side Note:

the GML script posted in this thread
Where did it go....

Treetop

gplasky
April 27th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Take the .gml file and open it in Girder. I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do.

Gerry

Treetop
April 28th, 2004, 03:04 AM
I'm a blimin' idiot....

When I first clicked on the link, a new IE window appeared displaying the xml file. I tried to c/p the text into notepad and rename the extension (don't ask). I walked a way for a minute and tried to work on updating my MVP... came back and the answer was "magically" there (right in front of me the whole time)....

Click on the gml link, go to ~File ~Save as... It will will be saved as any other document, but with the .gml extension.

Treetop

nwahec
May 31st, 2004, 10:46 AM
I'm a little confused. All of the commands you have trained as X10_DN_Foo, do these commands correspond to an existing gml or plugin? I'm using the currently available ati/x10 plugin which has different commands for button movements. I.E. MouseRightUp [up] 16. Should I retrain all the button commands in your gml to correspond to my plugin? I tried that a few times and my mouse got stuck in an endless loop flying all over the screen. Is there an existing plugin that has all your commands trained to the ati remote wonder allready. The posts I read made it seem easier to set up than this so before I spend too much time trying to configure this I figured I'd ask.

Thanks!
Chris

ermon
June 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM
I just looked at trhe plugins page, and it seems Ron has replaced my plugin with his own - probably a good move.

I haven't actually looked at the new girder version yet, and my guess is that my old plugin may have trouble with it anyway...

His plugin probably uses a different format for the messages, and you need to adapt the GML file for that - But since he created the plugin, I am betting he also has some sort of mouse support script there... Did you look through the documentation?

Since I don't know what messages Ron's plugin sends, I can't be of much more help.
-Eyal

Promixis
June 8th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Ermon,

The new plugin tries to encapsulate all the different x10 remotes and includes a dialog box to pick events.

I think bitmonsters tool functions is still the best way to get smooth mouse movement.

Curious
September 16th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Hello Everbody,
I 'am a total newbie to Girder, so please bear with my questions. I have a Winfast TV2000 expert Remote , with wich I would like to emulate a rmote mouse. For example, when I press and hold the "down" key on the remote, the mosue should move down on the desk top. Similarly, when I press the key designated as enter (say the play key) on the remote, Girder should send left mosue click, wherever the mouse is.

This script/plugin seems capable of what I have in mind. Is my assumption coreect?

I downloaded this script alongwith the WinLua plugin and tried to test it. I assigned the up key on my remote to the up key in the script. However, when I press the up key, Girder goes into an infinite loop and I have to use task manager to terminate Girder. The original poster mentiones something about direction of movement. Does this script work with any remote?

Mike/Ron/Promixis team deserves cudos for developing such a wonderful product and providing prompt support.

Curious

Promixis
September 16th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Curious, which script are you using?

Curious
September 17th, 2004, 03:52 PM
MikeC,
For some reason, I cannot see any files attached to the posts on this forum. So, I downloaded the script from ngiffords website. Is this script available from the downloads section of Girder?

Thanks,
Curious

Promixis
September 17th, 2004, 06:15 PM
Not sure which script you are referring to?

ojouff
June 2nd, 2005, 04:03 PM
Link is dead :evil:

Alterego
August 31st, 2005, 12:18 PM
Link is dead, please post again.

qba
January 4th, 2006, 10:04 PM
The link is dead. Would be super if anybody who has the GML/app can post it

Edit: I think I found a mirror:

http://www.htpc-news.de/files/Nick123_gml.rar

qba
February 21st, 2006, 07:40 AM
I can't get the script to work. Anybody who knos how to smoothe out movement, so that the acceleration doesn't turn to zero upon changing from up to up/right etc?

MarvinBot
February 21st, 2006, 08:31 PM
Try the attached GML. I think I have an older version of the X10 plugin, but you should be able to relearn the triggers if you are using a newer one. I have replaced the alarmtimer calls with LUACOM timer events to make things cleaner.

Edit - Realized aceleration wasn't working properly. It should now...

rohman
December 4th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Im new to girder and im trying to set up my ATI remote with the x10-mouse.gml file. My question is how do I tech girder the button-up commands. Whenever I click learn event it only learns the down press on the remote.

MarvinBot
December 10th, 2006, 04:00 PM
You'll need the Generic X10 plugin first. Select the command you want to "learn" the remote button for, select "All" in the learn event area then press the button on the remote. Once learned, select "Generic X10 Plguin" in learn event and click "Learn Event" again - a window will show up allowing you to select up/down/repeat.

eze_villegas
May 9th, 2011, 11:06 PM
Sorry, but I'm new to girder and do not understand how to make it move the mouse with the GML nick123. I could help set it up? I use a generic remote control with the WinLIRC plugin. thank you very much.