PDA

View Full Version : X10 Girder Control

siegeld
December 28th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Girder is great! Thanks!

I've just got girder talking to me every time I enter my room. The setup works like this:

1. I'm running an X10Controller class on a Tini standalone Java computer board that sits on my LAN. It is connected to an X10 serial computer. When X10 commands are picked up by the computer they are broadcast over my LAN by the Tini device.

2. On a Linux box, I've got a Java program that listens for these commands. When it receives a particular command it connects to my Windows box and connects to the Girder Internet client to issue a Girder event.

Of course, all this could run off of a single Windows computer, since the driver programs are all simple Java. I've created a distributed system for various other reasons.

The setup works really well. Right now I'm using an X10 motion sensor, and when motion is sensed Girder starts talking to me. Maybe some day I'll come up with a more practical application for this nice technology.

David

visormiser
October 24th, 2003, 01:11 PM
Hi. I've been scouring the Net for weeks looking for something like this. Can you explain in newbie-terms how you did this?

I've got a CM11A and a firecracker transmitter, and want to use my motion detector to have my windows xp box emit and audible "hello" when I enter the room. Can you tell me how you set this up? What is a tini device? What Java plug-ins do you use? Is this something that could be easily grasped by a non-programmer?

Tx in advance for your help.

Liickdude
October 30th, 2003, 11:19 AM
For X10 integration, you should look at the Powerlinc from www.smarthome.com. It will allow you to send and recieve X10 commands over the power line in your house. I have had some trouble getting mine to send, but I now have girder able to execute commands from X10 commands, or motion sensors. You will still require a working X10 transceiver to make it all work. The motion sensor sends a signal to the transciever, which sends a command over the powerline, which the powerlinc listens for. It works very well, the powerlinc is about $37 US and makes X10 integration into girder very seamless. I use an X10 controller in my kitchen to power on or off the entire theater downstairs, pause the DVD, or mute volume. It is a pain to run upstairs for something and then have to go back down to turn off the theater equipment if I decide to stay upstairs. I know, I am lazy.

Odi
November 22nd, 2003, 02:13 PM
Darn, I went and ordered a Powerlinc USB before I realized girder existed.

I am a developer though. Maybe its up to me to write some HID device drivers.

Odi
November 24th, 2003, 02:30 PM
OK. I have some news on this. I think I'll go post in the developer forum.

Haddood
March 3rd, 2004, 07:52 PM
i think there is an easier way to this, certainly you will be needing an x10 motion detector device ... and CM11 / CM 12 X10 Driver plugin ... then do the following:
create a new girder command (I call it: recieve x10)

in the events drop down list choose "Girder Event"
click "learn event" ...
in the dialog box, choose "On Event" for the first drop down list and
CM11 / CM 12 X10 Driver
click select now go back to the command and from girder tab choose "variable manipulation script" ...
click on apply then script botton ...
then use the following as a guide ...

X10event = EventString

if (strfind (X10event, "Event you want to detect, ex: A_1_On" )) then
TriggerEvent("a girder event that you want to be executed", 18 )
end

ewingr
March 18th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I'm trying to figure out what I need in order to get Girder to send CMDs to an X10 for light control.

I've been told by Smarthome that I should use sthe Powerlinc instead of the CM stuff. (They didn't know anything about Girder.)

The post above implies that girder works with Powerlinc.

But I can't determine for sure if there are plugins for girder with Powerlinc.

Any feedback on this?

BTW...I'm doing just 4 light sets, so don't want to invest in something like Homeseer.

Promixis
March 19th, 2004, 06:11 AM
Girder does not support the powerlinc usb at this time.

ewingr
March 19th, 2004, 09:17 AM
So I'm gathering.

I hear that I can use the Powerlink Serial, based on using the Serial Plugin.

Promixis
March 19th, 2004, 09:52 AM
Yes, the serial version works.

An USB HID driver is on the list of todo's

ewingr
March 19th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks.

Based on a littler further investingation and thinking, right now I'm leaning towards trying to do this:

Get a IR 543: Allow activation of X-10 devices with my remote control if I want, and if the HTPC happens to not be on.

Then, for sofware based commands, use MainLobby to send commands to Girder, which would put IR out a USB-UIRT to teh IR543.

I'm thinking that will accomplish the same thing. I do want to do remote control, so I guess I need the IR543 anyway.

If this doesn't work well, then I can order the Powerlinc. (I don't know if there is an advantage for the Powerlink USB over the Serial or not, other than if you are out of Serial ports. By the time I know I need it, maybe there will be a Girder plugin for teh USB one.)

Promixis
March 19th, 2004, 01:51 PM
That should work fine. The serial link is more robust but IR should also be no problem. Let us know how it works out...

ewingr
March 19th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Thanks, Mike. I'll do that.

Promixis
April 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM
See http://www.girder.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=33773#33773 for a Powerlinc plugin.

ewingr
April 13th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks for that. Actually, at this point, I have already purchased the IR543. Haven't installed the X-10 stuff yet.

Guess I'll see how that goes. I'm stale on this now..(boy, that happens fast :-? )...is there a reason I would want to consider getting this plugin and moving to the Powerlinc? More stable/reliable? More flexibility?

bambino2000
April 21st, 2005, 09:49 AM
To Anybody,

Is there any way I could automate my Dim lights via Cm11a from my HTPC
during & after my trailer movies.. sort of like in A Movie Theater
using girder and dvd spy or anything . I tried looking in the forum its seems I
could not find anything regarding these features ... any body who could share and has GML groups that could do these automation things

Mastiff
April 21st, 2005, 02:18 PM
I have simple X-10 commands in a multi-group that also has my ZoomPlayer commands, so the lights turn on when I pause the movie and turn off again when I start playback. But I think you're looking for something a bit more advanced than that, right?

bambino2000
April 29th, 2005, 11:52 AM
The one that you have is a good start. Im not really good in menupulating girder multi groups command.PLease tell me how to trigger the cm11 to dim lights... in a certain period. maybe you share your gml to me.

Thansk :wink:

Mastiff
April 29th, 2005, 04:22 PM
I'm afraid I don't have time to alk you through the whole process, but basically you install the plug-in, plug in the cable to the CM11A (I think only the serial version is supported, not the USB version) and create a new command. Click on the CM11 plug-in and click settings. Then the commands are like this: "A 3 On" (house code A, device code 3 and then On/Off/Dim 40) and so on. It's explained in the plug-in.

bambino2000
May 10th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Thanks fo the tutorial... I will try to do it this weekend.