PDA

View Full Version : X10 MouseRemote on Win2k

Ron
October 13th, 2002, 03:55 PM
I finally uploaded it! Sorry about the long wait.

Ingo
Hi,

I don't have a X10 mouse remote, but a remote and a RF receiver module that looks like the one that comes with the X10 mouse remote (judging from pictures....).

I can't use it with all configurations of my remote, but it works great with at least some of them. I've set it up as a Toshiba VCR remote. It doesn't give me all buttons, so I will start searching for a different one when I find the time...

I've sent a configuration file for Marks (thanks Mark for the plugin) Generic Serial Support plugin to Ron. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to have found the time yet to put it up on the webpage. I've set it up to use 8n1, hardware handshaking at 9600baud. Nothing to transmit and a fixed lenght of 5 for receiving.

Hope it helps,
Ingo

Bates
Hi Dave,

I've been trying to do just that and it works fine for most things besides mouse movement. The problem is that there is not a good way to take the three byte packets that the mouse remote makes that looks like a mouse and map ONLY those to mouse like functions. All the other buttons work great. I use Mark's generic serial plugin with the following settings: Baud = 1200, No parity, 7 data bits, 2 stop bits. In the receive section just say you want 3 byte packets and put in a time out in case of some strange situation where you don't get a full packet. Let me know how you get along mapping the mouse movements. I'm going to look at making a bit of a custom plugin if I can't figure a way 'round it. One thing that is kind of nice with the mouse remote (yeah, there IS one *grin*) is that it is both an IR remote and an RF remote. I've put on one of the packard bell really stupid ir receivers and when in 'ir' mode, this reciever picks up the data from the remote and when in RF mode, the RF receiver picks it up. Pretty swift really. I use the SFH56 plug in for the fast media receiver and it works good.

Jim

Bates
Ingo,

You might try 3 byte packets and 1200 baud for a bit more reliability. The output from the mouse remote reciever is really just a ps/2 serial mouse type packet. The first byte being some status bits (where the buttons get mapped) and the 2nd and 3rd byte are the X and Y displacement for mouse movement. The multitude of other buttons on that remote are mapped into various combinations that are still three bytes but not really with mouse like meaning. Good luck and feed back some information as you come across it.

Jim

justDave
If I'm reading the documentation correctly, the MouseRemote plugin depends on X10's driver. Unfortunately, their driver doesn't support Windows 2000.

Is there a way to get support for all the buttons on this device under Windows 2000?