PDA

View Full Version : Keeping one disk awake

HappyPixie
October 13th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Goto http://www.storage.ibm.com and download the IBM harddisk tool. You can then switch off the power management for that drive so it will never go to sleep.

Use with caution.

John
IBM

Ingo
just use a program that writes (random data) to the disk and execute it every sleeptime/2 ... never tried it, but it should work.
If it's the system disk, you might be able to get what you want by just writing to the registry (using Girder of course :wink:)

Ingo
yes, that's what I was thinking about... could you give me a hint if it works? just to know that it works... (or not)

Ingo
he probably meant
http://www.storage.ibm.com/hdd/support/download.htm , but I doubt that this can work... at least if you have an ACPI system which is supposed to take controll of powermanagement...

Mastiff
Hi!
I've got the opposite problem of one other thread here: I want one disk on my Win2k Advanced Server to stay awake. That is of course the system disk, with Girder, Homeseer and all the other utilities that needs to be on top at all times. Is it possible to use Girder (or anything else) to keep that from falling asleep while I set all the other disks to fall asleep after five minutes (I've got three disks with mp3-files, all IBM, 40, 60 and 75 gig, while the system disk is a 20 gig fujitsu).

I don't think it's possible to set individual sleep times in regular APM. Or is it?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Mastiff
You mean like "copy 1.txt 2.txt" or something like that? That would probably work, yes. Thanks! I should have thought of that... :smile:

Mastiff
Yes, it works! I don't use Girder for that (bad boy, Tor!) but a program called Clock Wise that can be set up to do anything at anytime. :smile:

Tor

Mastiff
Thanks for the tip, but I got lost on the page. Couldn't find the right download. What do I look for?
Thanks a lot in advance!