PDA

View Full Version : Uirt2a - WOL problems

britinfinland
May 20th, 2003, 12:34 PM
When I try to turn off my computer with the WOL connected to the UIRT2a, all it does is come straight back on again.

So I can't even test if the WOL works because the computer just won't stay off.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'd like to be able to turn the computer off, and then turn it on with just the remote control.

Everything else seems to work fine with the UIRT2a.

Please treat me as a noob when it comes to electronics, but I'm not thick! :P

Luc
May 26th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Looks like there's a problem in the wiring to the WOL connector, you might have a steady 5V on the WOL signal in stead of the required pulse.
Can you check the wiring and/or verify the level on the signal?

britinfinland
May 27th, 2003, 10:13 AM
Silly me, I had got the WOL wire the wrong way around.

So everything works fine now. Well at least as long as the computer is turned off from windows, and not the power button on the front of the computer. Is there anyway to turn it on from there using the UIRT?

Luc
May 27th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Sorry but I don't fully understand your problem.
I asume you can now turn off your PC normally.
Does the Uirt work under windows or Girder?
Is your problem how to configure the uirt to power up the PC?

britinfinland
May 27th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Sorry, I'll try again...

The UIRT works great with Girder. No problems there.

When I have used windows to power down/turn off the computer, I can use the UIRT to turn it back on again now. (Since you made me realise I might have the WOL wire the wrong way around) That's all working fine now.

But... When I've used to the power button on the front of the computer case to turn the computer off. (For example: Used to power down quickly in a thunder storm) I can't seem to use the UIRT to turn the computer back on again. I'm wondering should it be possible to use the UIRT to turn the computer back on after this kind of power down, not just a windows power down?

Hope that makes a little more sense.

Francois
May 27th, 2003, 09:27 PM
Unfortunately there is no perfect solution for what you are looking for... the best workaround I can think of is to set your PC to autostart when power resumes, and have windows shut down the machine after some period of inactivity, so that it'll be ready for the next cycle