PDA

View Full Version : USB UIRT

mowensmd
June 13th, 2003, 04:54 PM
I have a mediacenter PC, with the included phillips remote/IR receiver and transmitter. I cannot use this hardware to "learn" my HT equipment remotes.

Can I use John's USB UIRT-2 in addition (or instead...using MCE plug-in) for learning?

The conversion for the CCF files to RC5 for my equipment, downloaded from remote central seems quite cumbersome. Is RC5 what a gml file uses in girder?

Netremote on a PPC can utilize ccf it seems, but I still need IR passthrough to the emitters if connecting via 802.11b TCP/IP right? Will the Philips support this? Would this negate the need for my girder to learn my IR codes?

Am I going to be stuck with SlinkE?

(desired setup: PPC -> 802.11g LAN/remote admin ->HTPC ->girder ->philips and/or UIRT-2 emitters -> onkyo receiver, toshiba dvd changer and television component IR)

JimHugh
June 13th, 2003, 05:46 PM
Several points of confusion here...

I believe that you are referring to Jon Rhees, not John

The USB-UIRT only has one version... There is not a USB-UIRT2 (yet!).

The UIRT2 only has a serial version. Not USB.

Girder and the GML file doesn't care what version of IR you are using, only the specific IR plugin would care.

I believe that 802.11b using TCP/IP only sends a command request to Girder, but the sender does not send the actual IR code.

jon_rhees
June 16th, 2003, 03:11 PM
I cannot comment on the Media Center stuff (as I've never used it). But, for what you're trying to do, using NetRemote with the USB-UIRT IR Passthrough plugin may be all you need. It really depends on whether you need the PC itself to initiate IR transmissions of its own, or are simply using it as a 802.11 remote extender.

-Jon