PDA

View Full Version : Unusual IRDA problem - controlig digital satellite receiver

Mastiff
July 28th, 2003, 01:05 PM
A lot of people ask if they can use IRDA to receiver remote signals. I know that can't be done. But can I send IRDA signals in any way? The problem is this: I've got a Force digital satellite receiver, and I'm pretty sure it works on IRDA not regular CIR (consumer IR). So can I use any form or USB or other type of device connected to the PC to learn and send those signals? I have tried with my IR extenders and found out that they do not support that frequency at all (a problem also Pace owners have, I have seen on the Net). And the only thing that can learn the signals is PDAWin's TV Remote Control software for my PPC. I'm pretty sure it utilizes the IRDA for that part. My Marantz learning remote didn't even react, and an USB UIRT didn't either. So is there any solution anywhere?

Thanks a lot in advance!

JimHugh
July 28th, 2003, 01:21 PM
http://redrat.co.uk/SDK/ has a number of references to IRDA, maybe they have something that will work for you.

They specifically mention:

Added support for IrDa-like signals (Telewest and some NTL boxes in UK). Need to upgrade firmware to 0.17 or later for this.

Mastiff
July 28th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Thanks! That actually looks like it may work. I want to find a norwegian reseller, though, in case it don't work. And perhaps I should ask Jon if the USB-UIRT can be modified to do the same?