PDA

View Full Version : Possible to change event string trigger for RCA DIRECTV TUNE

araltd
August 4th, 2003, 05:42 PM
This one is more directed toward Jim Hughes, but I wanted to post it publicly incase anyone else has similar issues- they can find help too.

I'm using myHTPC with an ATI MMC plugin for myHTPC. Girder is being used to control and set the channels on the RCA Satellite DirecTv box via a serial cable... The plugin is writing the event string MMCPlugin 18, and this does not work with the RCA DirecTV tuner program written by Jim Hughes. It requires DSSTUNE 203.

I manually edited the plugin to write the event string DSSTUNE 203 instead of MMCplugin 18, but wanted to know if I can change it in Girder instead? This way I will not have to edit any newly released versions of the MMC script/plugin for myHTPC?

JimHugh
August 4th, 2003, 05:53 PM
203 is the DeviceID of the Internet Event Server plugin
18 is the Girder DeviceID

See the list of DeviceIDs on http://www.girder.nl/developer.php

Each command can have multiple event strings.

1. Select the DSSTune command

2. In the top right corner of the Girder app, select Girder Event in the dropdown then click Learn Event.

3. Enter MMCPlugin as the EventString. You have just created an EventString for DeviceID 18 that should work for the MMC app.

Justification:
EventStrings are usually installation specific because of the large number of remote controls and devices (USB-UIRT, IRMan UIRT2, IGOR, RedRat) used to read them.

The "hard part" in creating the group files is usually getting the command itself to do what is desired. :)

I generally use 203 for human readable eventstrings since it allows the same eventstring to be used locally or from an Internet Event Server client.

rebrown808
August 13th, 2003, 06:09 PM
I'm trying to accomplish the same thing with MYHTPC, ATI's MMC, and girder. I'm using the newer RCA DirecTV box and if I'm not mistaken, the RCA plugin is sending the commands using the older RCA format (both versions' commands are listed on the directvconn page). Either that or I'm doing somehting very wrong. Any advice anyone could provide on this would be very helpful.

Thanks

JimHugh
August 13th, 2003, 06:14 PM
Send me a a pm with your email address and I will send you a modified GML file with the changes for the new RCA receiver.

I don't have any way to test it, one other user received it and said it worked for him, but I didn't want Ron to have to post it until it had been tried by at least a couple of users.

rebrown808
August 13th, 2003, 07:05 PM
OK, this is most likely a dumb question but I must be missing something obvious here. I opened the new GML file, enabled the device and I am trying to test the serial link using the "test command" command and nothing happens. The RCA box is set to the correct COM port and I haven't changed any of the other settings from their defaults. Is there something else I need to do to make this work?

JimHugh
August 13th, 2003, 07:22 PM
Does DTVCon work?

Which command are you trying to "Test Command" with?

DSSTUNE by itself doesn't do anything, it needs to be triggered from an external command like event.exe.

"C:\Program Files\Girder32\event.exe" 203 DSSTUNE 204

will tune to channel 204