PDA

View Full Version : Is there a variable containing the name of the command?

tony_wk
August 6th, 2003, 08:22 AM
I want to use the OSD to display every command I executed. But since I have many applications therefore hundreds of commands. It is a pain to add the OSD display for every command I executed. I found one way to simplify this process by using [EventString] in the XP OSD so it will automatically pick up the eventstring for that command to display. That is ok if my eventstring is meaningful as I am using girder event to define that eventstring. (e.g. I use "play" as the girder event string, then when that command is triggered, the "play" will be displayed by XP OSD) But if it is a remote control event, the eventstring will be meaningless.

That is why I want to find if there is a way to get the name of the command so I can use that. (e.g. [command name] ) as the content of the XP OSD. And I can just duplicate this OSD command to use with all the rest of the other commands without having to type in the text for the OSD individually.

thanks

Ron
August 6th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Currently there is no variable that holds the command name.

JimHugh
August 6th, 2003, 10:06 AM
Doesn't sound very feasible to me... Maybe I'm missing something.

One event string could trigger several separate commands or a multigroup with several comands, which one should be stored in the variable?

If you executed a OSD command, it would then display itself as the command name!

The hardware event logger plugin will show you all of the triggering event strings.

The commands executed for a given eventstring should be constant (as long as they are enabled).

Since the GML file is valid XML, an XSLT translation report could be created that would show which commands would be executed for a given event string.

I have a XLST transform that generates a quick and dirty dynamic web page that lists all of the Internet Event Server event strings so they can be executed via a remote browser.

tony_wk
August 7th, 2003, 04:28 AM
you are right, it may not be feasible. but actually i am just trying to use the multigroup name as the input to the OSD not the comand name. but it is still difficult to figure out which multigroup name i should use.

so i am typing in the text now....... :cry: