PDA

View Full Version : Need help: Can program but no response from UIRT2

slowly
September 23rd, 2003, 06:38 PM
Hi !

I just built my first UIRT2. I used the scematics from this page ( http://www.fukushima.us/UIRT2/ ) but I built it on a standard experimentation PCB an so used my own board layout.

I can program the PIC, but after putting the jumper back on I get no response whatsoever from the board. I tried both test programs (first the one from this page ( http://free-zg.hinet.hr/DPM/uirt.htm#Programmer ) and then a different one from somewhere on the net.

My Layout looks like this :
http://home.arcor.de/alexander.balling/uirt2/Lochraster.gif
the cyan lines are the grid of the experimental PCB but I think I traced all the paths with red lines too. Blue are the caps, green diodes and violett resistors. The yellow lines are wires and they are always connected to 2 points only ( I should have used different shades of yellow ... )

Can you give me a hint on where to start looking for errors ?
On inspecting the PCB I couldn't find any errors.
I can only measure voltages and trace the traces - unfortunately I don't own a scope. :(

As I said the programmer from the second page tells me programming worked ("program/verify" setting), but I can't get any response from the UIRT when testing it with a test program. Girder tells me on init it "can't read 1st character" (or similar)

Any Ideas where to start ?

Thanks _very_ much for any help !
Alex

slowly
September 23rd, 2003, 09:37 PM
Forget that I can program - I found an error on my PCB (not the Layout) After correcting I get the "Cant write at 0x0000" message.

I will check the PCB tomorrow again and maybe there is another error. Once I am sure everything is correctly soldered I'll ask again ...

slowly
January 11th, 2004, 07:15 PM
So I tried everything - no go ! :(

I double checked everything. What happens is this:
When I try to program with the jumper on the programmer tells me it's all right (program/verify).

When I try to program without the jumper on the programmer tells me it's all right.

When I try to program with the 12V VPP attached to pin 2 of the jumper I can program, but not program/verify.

In either case the test-app throws out an error like "no OG-Reply" (or similar).

Any ideas anyone ? I'm about to give up and buy a TIRA ... :(
slowly

Luc
January 13th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Didn't verify your entire design, have only a few minutes time..... :-(

When I try to program with the jumper on the programmer tells me it's all right (program/verify).
This can't work, unless one of your previous programming attempts were succesfull.

When I try to program without the jumper on the programmer tells me it's all right.
This can work depending on your system.

When I try to program with the 12V VPP attached to pin 2 of the jumper I can program, but not program/verify.
This should work, at least for the "A" types of PIC's

In either case the test-app throws out an error like "no OG-Reply" (or similar).
Wich test-app do you mean? Also please provide the exact error message.
Are you using the correct firmware vs your crystal (4-10Mhz).
You can find the latest (working) files on my website.

Luc.

slowly
January 13th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Hi Luc !

Thank you very much for your answer ! :)

I tried it a second time - starting from scratch again (new layout, built it again and checked everything before giving it a try).

I also get an error "Error writing at 0x0000" (or very similar) with the new one and I think I might have made a mistake in the layout ...

Fortunately a nice guy from a different forum offered help and I sent the 2 UIRTs to him today. If he finds out whats wrong I'll let you know what I messed up.

To answer your questions:
I can even start to program without the cable atached to the UIRT and the programmer tells me everything is fine ... :( (found out by accident)

The test app I used was from this site:
http://free-zg.hinet.hr/DPM/uirt.htm

Along with the 1.7 firmware (10MHz / 10MHz crystal)

Thank you Luc - unfortunately I can't really try/verify anything right now since I sent everything to the nice guy from the other forum today.
Alex

Luc
January 14th, 2004, 09:57 AM
This test program was written for a UIRT with a different firmware thus it can't work with the firmware you are using.

Will try the programmer "problem" tomorrow.

slowly
January 14th, 2004, 10:10 AM
*doh* :(

Let's see what Bitmonster (have seen him around here as well ...) will find out .. maybe the boards are working after all ? :lol:

Alex

adrh
February 20th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Hi,

I have just built my first UIRT2A. I am getting the dreaded Error Programming at 0x00000!

I have checked the RTS from the COM port and it seems ok, I am getting a tad over 12V on Pin 4 of the PIC (when I measure from the Pin to the -ve of the 12V source I am using, which I assume is correct). I have check the RTS is going from - to + when programming, so I think the COM port is ok, but still no luck. I've check the layout and connections and can't find anything wrong.

Now, I'm not saying that there IS nothing wrong, but what other measurements/checks can I do to try and trace the problem.

Slowly, did you get your problems sorted out?

HELP!

Oh, also, at the risk of encouraging a chorus of yes' I'm using a 5V DC transformer, which is not pumping exactly 5V, could that be causing problems?

slowly
February 20th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Well, not quite me - Bitmonster sorted it out.
He found a missing link and programmed the PIC with a dedicated programmer. After connecting the missing wire everything worked fine. Even ICSP worked for Bitmonster, but he used a 13V lab PSU (?!).

I had to add a noise filter though to make it work relyably. (reciever noise)
slowly

adrh
February 20th, 2004, 06:32 AM
Hehe, well that's great for you! I have actually just answered (part of) my own question. It seems that 'around' 5V is not what is required. I just tried using a (get this) partly run down 9V battery that was reading 5.1V on my meter instead of my Transformer supply which was actually around 6V and it programmed first time! Of course I had to program it again because I couldn't believe it happened (bear in mind it is 10:30 on a Friday after a couple of soothing drinks!).

Now I get problems receiving in Girder, but at least I'm over the (I hope) biggest hurdle!).

Yay!