PDA

View Full Version : UIRT2 without girder

node
January 15th, 2004, 01:23 PM
So I was looking over at the UIRT2 and kinda really liked it. I have made and used an UIR for quite some time, and it still is a blessed device. But i need to make some more and I like this new version where it lets you power up your pc etc. Now this is my issue however.

In Circuit Serial Programming: D1, D2, R7, R9, ZD1 and Shunt1 (solder the 2 pads together). These are also used to reset the PIC when Girder is not running, removing these components will also disable this feature. If you decide to leave them in, bear in mind that the UIRT will not work when Girder isn't running but it will work when the PC is powered off.

So I need girder to use the whole thing? Or what is it exactly that you are speaking of. I don't want to use girder to be able to use the UIRT2. I dind't need girder for my UIR either. What exactly do you mean with that quote?

Luc
January 16th, 2004, 11:24 AM
When I developed the UIRT2 I thought that only Girder users were going to use it due to the existing plugins etc..
But I didn't expect that it would be used in other environments and that "drivers" were going to be written for other applications.

What I ment with your quote is:
- The Uirt2 is in Reset state when the comm port is not enabled ( this is the case when you are using Girder and it is not running).

It's quite simple: When the Comm port is not enabled (signals at -12V) then the UIRT2 is in RESET state, when enabled (signals at +12V) the UIRT2 will work.
This has been intentionally designed so that the UIRT2 will be reset on power up and will start working when Girder (or any application that enables the comm port) starts.

Hope this clarifies.
Luc.

node
January 18th, 2004, 06:35 AM
So if I understand correctly, I can built it as is without any problem, use it as a receiver (like the old UIR) like a transmitter by following the normal (full) built instruction.

Then i'm guessing to use the 'offline' features, i'd have to install windows, install girder, use the plugin to program the UIR to respond to the keycodes for powerop or similar and never have to worry about girder or anything the like again?

Oh and maybe to program it the first time then?

node

Luc
January 18th, 2004, 08:11 AM
You don't need Girder to program it the first time. The DP programmer is standalone under Windows.

To program the off-line features: the easiest would be to use Girder and the plugin but you can also write your own program, the protocol is available.

node
January 19th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Oh yeah ,the DP, duh.

Well since it's only a one time program, it's easiest to just use girder, maybe on somebody elses machine or something.

Well maybe it would be an Idea to clarify this on your site aswell. I'm sure there are only a handfull of people concidering that, but still it would be nice to have it clear on the site to make sure no confusion exists.

thanks luc,
node