PDA

View Full Version : Add real port number to pld of NRCLIENT.[ADD|REMOVE|RESEND]

brockgr
February 22nd, 2003, 09:48 PM
Ben,

This is old issue that would be nice to finish off. Could you confirm that all the NRCLIENT events contain the event server port number (as set in the girder plugin) in payload2 of the Internet Event - I think only RESEND doesn't.

On a similar though, I was suggesting before that we combine NRCLIENT.ADD/RESEND. Any more thoughts?

Finally, would it be worth changing the behavior of RESEND. Currently it sends whenever you "enter a feedback enabled panel". Could we change this to "enter a feedback enabled panel from a NON-feedback enabled panel"? It burns a lot of network switching panels - especially if images are in use.

Cheers,

Gavin

Ben S
February 23rd, 2003, 11:23 PM
I think only NRCLIENT.ADD has the port number. RESEND is the only one that I call directly in the driver, the rest are all in the .ccf.

I will see if I can only call resend once. That makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure if I can get it set up that way, as the driver doesn't neccessarily know what panel it was just on. The driver only gets called to register/unregister itself based on whether it's on a panel or not.

Oh. What about a timeout? It gets the time when the last button is unregistered, and then checks that time when it registers the first button? That would work great. I'll implement that right away. 0.981, perhaps?

Thanks Gavin!

brockgr
February 23rd, 2003, 11:32 PM
Ben,

I think I get where you are coming from. You mean that the plugin "registers" a button as a feedback item. Ok.

ADD is in the ccd? Remind me where? I think we hard coded the port to 1023. This may confuse users who think this is the number in the Girder plugin options. I'm also hard codeing 1023 in the LUA code so the current setup is impossible if the user wants to change it. Resend needs the port so I know who to resend to,

Do you send a RESEND on power up/wake up? I would like to unregister a client after a couple of failed sends. Currently if a user has 2 netremotes, and one gets turned off, the LUA code sits there timing out for one of them and the performance is terrible.

Gavin

Ben S
March 11th, 2003, 09:20 PM
Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier. I think most of this will be unneeded with the new protocol, but.

RESEND is sent every time you go to a panel that has a girder feedback button. I do not send a RESEND when the device powers up. This is something I need to add (notification of device powerup) that I don't currently get.

Unfortunately there is no notification for power down, so we're stuck having NetRemote inform Girder it no longer needs feedback.

brockgr
March 11th, 2003, 10:59 PM
Ben,

Yep this thread is a bit irrelavent now. I think the NRCLIENT.REGISTER (on load, and wake up) will be the only needed event. NetRemote will inform Girder of it's shutdown or sleep by timing out on the TCP channel.

Gavin