PDA

View Full Version : HTPC Mouse Control?

rsutter
March 7th, 2003, 03:08 PM
I'm sure I could answer this question by installing NetRemote and playing with it but I figured I'd ask before I buy the NIC for my PDA. I've got a TSU2000 right now that is great but I haven't been able to get it to control the mouse on the HTPC worth a damn. Is there a way to do this with NetRemote?

Thanks,
Rick

brohebus
March 7th, 2003, 03:31 PM
I'm sure I could answer this question by installing NetRemote and playing with it but I figured I'd ask before I buy the NIC for my PDA. I've got a TSU2000 right now that is great but I haven't been able to get it to control the mouse on the HTPC worth a damn. Is there a way to do this with NetRemote?

Thanks,
Rick

Use Girder with the Advanced Mouse plugin.

-Dave

rsutter
March 14th, 2003, 09:50 PM
OK, I got the NIC and have the PPC talking to Girder. I installed the adv mouse plugin...now what? How do I tie a CCF panel/button/? to the plugin? What should the CCF panel include? Sorry I'm a bit clueless, I haven't played with Girder much and I'm just getting started with NR.

Thanks,
Rick

brohebus
March 14th, 2003, 11:29 PM
OK, I got the NIC and have the PPC talking to Girder. I installed the adv mouse plugin...now what? How do I tie a CCF panel/button/? to the plugin? What should the CCF panel include? Sorry I'm a bit clueless, I haven't played with Girder much and I'm just getting started with NR.

Thanks,
Rick

You'll need to associate girder events to various events in a CCF. assuming that you are using the PPC's nav pad, use Girdervto setv up some events, and Girder to create some actions based on those keys.

-Dave

rsutter
March 15th, 2003, 12:16 PM
I didn't state what I want to do very clearly. I want to drag my finger around on the PDA screen and have the mouse move appropriately on the HTPC screen. I could assign a hard button for clicks but tapping the PDA screen as a left click would be preferable too. Is this possible?

Thanks,
Rick

brockgr
March 15th, 2003, 04:45 PM
You want a track-pad like a laptop? I was thinking that this would be a nice way to ged rid off popups that might occasionaly arrive on the screen.

Gavin

rsutter
March 15th, 2003, 04:48 PM
Exactly!

I haven't been able to find any decently integrated electronic program guide/TV software. The best I've found is the ATI Multimedia Center stuff that came with my video card and it's just fair. In order to navigate the guide, I need mouse control.

Rick

brohebus
March 15th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Exactly!

I haven't been able to find any decently integrated electronic program guide/TV software. The best I've found is the ATI Multimedia Center stuff that came with my video card and it's just fair. In order to navigate the guide, I need mouse control.

Rick

Maybe a Pocket VNC client could accomplish what you're asking for, but then you'd be forced to switch to a separate app to mouse around. Maybe you could put in a feature request for a 'mouse mode' similar to the Pronto's. This would require a server side driver too, though.

-Dave

Eiffel
March 16th, 2003, 12:18 PM
If you have a Pronto TSU2000, there is actually a mouse mode built into it (You can access it with 'Jump to Mouse'). The two bottom paddle act like left and right click...

The trouble is that to get it to work you need a special philips IR receiver which connects to your PS/2 ports. You might be able to find them on e-bay, if you're lucky. There is also some more information to be found at AVSforums (in the HTPC section...)

I don't think this feature is supported by net remote (and the newer Prontos may not have it)

Good luck

rsutter
March 16th, 2003, 03:14 PM
After slogging through the 65 pages of post on AVSForum, I've come to the realization that this doesn't look like it's going to happen. I'm sure it's possible but I haven't found anyone who has done it...and I'm not smart enough to do it myself.

The Pronto mouse mode would be ideal but finding the receiver (and I'm assuming the software) is about impossible (I haven't seen it in a couple of weeks of watching Ebay). Surely there's a way to do it using any reciever and Girder but again, way above my knowledge level.

Thanks,
Rick

ABeer
March 16th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Rick,

There is a freeware program called Switcher that might be what you are looking for. http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~pebbles/shortcutter/index.html

It allows you to define the "track pad" area on your pda screen as well as various buttons for mouse and hotkeys. Haven't used it much but when I did it seemed to work quite well.

QuickCarl
March 17th, 2003, 07:58 AM
Rick - try www.prontoedit.com The Owner is a Pronto dealer and may have the keyboard and IR receiver left over or know where to get one. It is where I got mine (4 years ago). Works great... don't have it emulated in NetRemote... but I can do with the mouse on the keyboard, so I'm set.

Good luck. -Carl

Ben S
March 17th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Hmmm....

This shouldn't be too hard to implement. I'll add it to the list of things to take a look into after the current priorities have been taken care of.

Thanks!

rsutter
March 19th, 2003, 04:46 PM
That would be awesome!

The Pebbles thing works exactly like what I want. I could actually make Pebbles (Switcher) do everything I want but it would be easier and nicer looking if it was built into Netremote.

Thanks!
Rick

Eiffel
May 22nd, 2003, 10:55 AM
Ben,

Now that we're very near V1.00 (besides UIRT2/USB-UIRT support, which is outside of your control, I think everything you promised is there), have you been able to look into emulating the mouse mode of the prontos?

Thanks

Ben S
May 26th, 2003, 12:28 PM
I haven't started looking, yet. Can you explain how the Pronto treats the mouse mode? Does it treat a movement as a relative move from it's current location? It's not absolute, right?

If you explain it, I'll look into it. Is the proposal that this will tie into Girder?

Eiffel
May 26th, 2003, 01:31 PM
Ben, thanks for your offer to look into this feature

I actually have never used the mouse mode, but from my readings it works exactly as a mouse touch pad (thus relative to the current pointer position). On a pronto 2000, the bottom paddles generate left and right clicks (which won't be ideal on a PPC, but with some customization this could work well on any machine), and the backlight key exits this mode (again not ideal, although the recording button looks like a good substitute on my iPAQ)

I'm assuming that it is relative to the cursor's position (although my touch pad works either way...).

As to how to make it work, a tie with Girder looks like the easiest solution (and the most flexible one). One initial suggestion would be to have Netremote send X,Y coordinates of the finger position on the screen, and have events for 'finger touching','finger removed','lclick' and 'rclick'. double clicks can be detected in Girder with some ingenuity... There might be some more clever ways of getting this to work, as I've never programmed a mouse driver...

I hope this helps

Eiffel

Ben S
June 8th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Hi Eiffel,

Support for mouse mode is in. It will require Girder to "listen" for events like those visible in the .gml file here (http://www.netremote.org/drops/netremote-demo.gml).

This supports absolute mouse position, and left and right click.

I tried some things with relative position, and it didn't work well. I'll keep revising relative until I have something that works well.

Let me know what you think!

Ben S
June 8th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Doh! I forgot why I wanted to batch all the Girder stuff together.

You'll need to download WinLua EX here (http://www.girder.nl/downloadn.php?Link=425) to support the scripting in the .gml file I referenced above.

I'd like to have one install to install Gavin's stuff, this, etc.

A "powerpack" for Girder, or something.

brockgr
June 8th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Yep - I think we need it. There are just so many "bits" to Girder. Might also be woth having a look at the girder plugin registry so we can turn on the things that need to be on.

Internet Events Server
LUA Socket
LUA Events
WinLua EX

Gavin

Eiffel
June 8th, 2003, 08:43 PM
Thanks for adding the mouse mode!

I'm swamped by other projects and 'must dos', but I'll try to squeeze some time to test and report in the coming days.

Eiffel

Wizard Sleeve
June 9th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Yep that done it so it works fine for me but havent tried any of the MC9 stuff yet.

Thanks

Wizard SLeeve

brockgr
June 9th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Mouse-mode is cool - working nicely. However I'm a bit more of a relative person myself so here is my attempt at a relative version:

local speed = 1/400 -- Base movement

local str = pld2
if (not last_time) then last_time = 0 end

local i = strfind(str,":");
if (i) then
local mode = strsub(str,0,i-1)
str = strsub(str,i+1)
i = strfind(str,",")
if (i) then
local x = strsub(str,0,i-1)
local y = strsub(str,i+1)
delta_time, last_time = TIME_GetTicks(last_time)
if &#40;&#40;delta_time < 210&#41; and last_x and last_y&#41; then
delta_x = floor&#40;&#40;x - last_x&#41;*speed&#41;
delta_y = floor&#40;&#40;y - last_y&#41;*speed&#41;
--print&#40;" delta "..delta_x..","..delta_y&#41;;
MOUSE_RelativeAlt&#40;0,delta_x,delta_y,0&#41;;
end

last_x = x
last_y = y
end
end

This sort of works but I really need to catch "finder press", "finger release" events. Currently I'm using the timer to guess when the user releases their finger. Also drag and drop isn't much fun :wink:

Gavin

Ben S
June 9th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Wow Gavin. You're the man.

I actually had a toggle between relative and absolute in the driver, but I couldn't get it to act reasonable.

If you'd prefer, I can send events for mouse (finger) down and mouse (finger) up.

I tried taking the difference between current position and last position and sending that, but the granularity wasn't right, it kept acting like garbage.

If I send mouse down start (x,y) and mouse update (x,y), then the toggle could be in Girder whether it is absolute or relative, and can be handled a little cleaner.

What do you think, Gavin?

brockgr
June 9th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Ben,

It's up to you whether you prefer to do this on the NR side or Girder side. The Girder side has the plus that users can "tweak" it. the NR code might be a little more efficient.

Yep the start, update sound like they would work - just reset the deltas after each "start" command. Might be able to get rid of the timer stuff.

Gavin

Ben S
June 14th, 2003, 11:01 PM
Gavin - I tried to test this yesterday, but Girder kept bombing on me.

I'll let you know shortly if this worked for me (The new gml code), and then I'd like to work with you on building an install for Girder files.

brockgr
June 14th, 2003, 11:55 PM
Yep - sure. Gavin

Ben S
June 15th, 2003, 05:01 PM
Wow!

Gavin's mousemode stuff works great!

I've added mousewheel support _and_ keyboard support. I've just navigated to this thread and typed this message from Netremote.

It requires a new gml, a new NRBasic,a new Girder and a new ccf. I'll make these all available very shortly!

brockgr
June 15th, 2003, 07:10 PM
Cook - glad it worked. Can't wait to play with the keyboard stuff. Is this with a CCF of tiny buttons, or the PocketPC input method?

Gavin

Ben S
June 18th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Yep. It's working great. If you're good I'll release this as a patch to the PPC version for people to take a look at.

The keyboard is using the PocketPC input method, which I think works great.

-Ben

Mastiff
June 18th, 2003, 08:58 AM
This really opens new possibilities! I can control the server without Pebbles, for instance, since I can see the desktop on the TV in the livingroom! Cool! :D

brockgr
June 18th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Yep - I'm happy with this - it's a really usefull new feature.

One question - is there a 'back' button in the CCF world? I'm assigning one of my hard buttons to pop up the mouse/keyboard in any of my panels (so I can close pop-ups and errors). However once on the mouse/keyboard panel, I don't see a way to get back to whereever I came from.

Gavin

Ben S
June 18th, 2003, 09:19 AM
One question - is there a 'back' button in the CCF world? I'm assigning one of my hard buttons to pop up the mouse/keyboard in any of my panels (so I can close pop-ups and errors). However once on the mouse/keyboard panel, I don't see a way to get back to whereever I came from.

Not now, but it would be pretty easy to setup. I'd set it up right now with only one "back" panel, but this could be a linked list of panels to jump back through.

I'd still like to be able to have the concept of a popup panel. It's one of the first things I'd ask for in Tonto or in another editor (see long thread (http://www.netremote.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=233) in General discussion)

brockgr
June 19th, 2003, 02:58 AM
Popups would be nice, but are perhaps a lot of work.

Another way I thought of doing it was with jump to "HOME", "DEVICE", "MACRO" buttons (like the feedback calls), that go to the last used panel of that type. So you could make a specific "MACRO" panels as popups, and the jump back to your "DEVICE".

Gavin

maxtrash
June 19th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Yep. It's working great. If you're good I'll release this as a patch to the PPC version for people to take a look at.

The keyboard is using the PocketPC input method, which I think works great.

-Ben
Ben,

do you plan on making this feature available for the win32 version as well? I sometimes control the HTPC from my laptop with WINVNC but I don't really want the laptop to display the screen as well since I can see it in TV already. This might be a solution!

Ben S
June 19th, 2003, 08:31 PM
Maxtrash - Yup. It is available for Win32, as well. I haven't been able to test it as well (controlling the mouse of my dev machine from the mouse on my dev machine doesn't work that well. :) )

In fact, you can download one zipfile here (http://www.netremote.org/dl/NetRemote-0.99-mousemode.zip) for both PPC2k2 and Win32. Note that these files will be integrated into RC6 when it becomes available.

Note that you will need WinLua EX (referenced from earlier in this thread) to use Mousemode.

Gavin - That's a great idea. I tend to only use macro's as things to alias from elsewhere, so using it as the "popup" device makes a -lot- of sense.

brockgr
June 19th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Captain Kludge strikes again. If you have a problem, I have a cheesy solution :lol:

Ben S
June 21st, 2003, 08:27 AM
Haha. As long as it works. :)

Has anyone been able to try mousemode, yet?

maxtrash
June 21st, 2003, 06:39 PM
yes, but it crashes on me like is described in the rc5 thread. You (mastiff) suggest uninstalling and reinstalling (and cleaning the registry) but I haven't done that yet.

gollumpr
July 1st, 2003, 07:01 AM
Hi all,
This is my first post in this forum.
First i'm sorry for my poor english.
Pls, somebody can to explain a little more how configure girder?
I install

Girder 3.2.
WinLua EX 1.04

And in the plugins section of girder select
Internet Events Server
LUA Socket
But i don't find LUA EVENTS, How can active it?

I load with girder the file with gml extension, and copy all the plugin to the correct folder, but not work.
Pls, somebody can help me?
Thk and best regards.

edit: Last news, i find the LUA EVENTS plugins and install it.
I test the sample ccf file, the left, right and wheel mouse work fine, but the mouse move not work, any idea?
Thnk and best regards

QuickCarl
July 1st, 2003, 10:09 PM
Gavin - that is the way that Pronto works... so I put my lights (X10) panel over there and could call it from any device....

Netremote doesn't work that way.

Ben S
July 2nd, 2003, 07:32 AM
QuickCarl - What do you mean NetRemote doesn't work that way? You should be able to hit the macro button to jump to the last used Macro, and device to jump to the last used Device. If this doesn't work, then there is a bug that needs to be resolved.

gollumpr - My apologies! I think the .gml file downloadable from the user downloads for mouse control was not the right version. I have updated it to be the correct version. If you were using that version (versus the version from the zipfile in this thread) then you'll need to redownload it. If you were using the version from the zipfile, do you see anything happen? Is WinLua EX enabled?

gollumpr
July 3rd, 2003, 06:56 AM
Thank WickedEwok,
Finally, it's working, i used the .gml included in the zip files.
But now, i have another question, the mouse control run O.K, but have a problem with the mouse pointer control, the movement of the cursor is little a little(sorry i don't wath is the word for described it).
I change in the gml file the variables for test, but i dont find the correct value.
Any hit? Wath values you used?
Thnk and best regards