PDA

View Full Version : NRIRServ and Slink-e not working

z.mash
March 10th, 2003, 03:31 PM
I just plugged my Slink-e in for the first time, installed the software, and got it to recognize the Slink-e was there. However, when I installed NRIRServ, it doesn't appear to send commands to the Slink-e. I have tried two different IR emitters (both hooked up to Zone 0) and two different components (Pioneer Receiver and DirecTivo).

I can't get NRIRServ to log, so I don't know what it is sending to SlinkeServ, but I can open SlinkeServ and see that a client (NRIRServ) is connected and that something is being sent.

Can anyone give me guidance for this?

Thanks,
Zak

Ben S
March 10th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Can you use Ezlearn to learn the remote commands that you are trying to send, and then send them back out?

Why can't you log? Is it not actually logging, even though it's enabled?

It's possible that the slinke's not compatible with your 2 devices, but probably unlikely. I'll try to help in whatever way I can.

z.mash
March 10th, 2003, 03:56 PM
I just reformatted my HTPC, so it will be tomorrow before I can do anymore testing. Prior to 3 hours ago, my Slink-e hadn't been out of its box. I haven't tried using EZ-Learn, because I was hoping I could bypass it entirely.

My logging problem is that I cannot get the checkbox to check. I click it, and then nothing happens. Anytime I try to exit NRIR, I get an error. My system has been less-than-stable thanks to some crappy Catalyst drivers, so I'm wiping it out and starting over.

Once I get back up and running, I will try the following:
1. Install Slink-e software
2. Connect Slink-e emitter to IR Zone 0 Out
3. Try to learn a command using EZ-Learn (is there a built in receiver?)
4. Send the command using EZ-Learn

-Zak

z.mash
March 11th, 2003, 12:06 PM
I reinstalled everything (seems that MYHD didn't like the slot in which I put it), and I can get the Slink-e to turn on/off the receiver using E-Z Learn. Still no luck with NRIRServ, though.

I cannot get NRIRServ to exit gracefully, either. There is no "Apply" button, so I don't know if the debugging checkbox value ever truly gets set.

I am home all day today, so I will play with it some more.

-Zak

Ben S
March 11th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Zak, can you save the cde file that ez learn gets, and send me that as well as your ccf with the pronto learned code embedded?

I'll also take a look at why logging isn't working, and why it's not exiting gracefully, unless Dave T. can get to it first.

z.mash
March 11th, 2003, 10:31 PM
You have mail!

LoudCity
March 12th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Let me know if you want my configuration to help debug/figure this out.... or if you solve it.

Thanks.

z.mash
March 14th, 2003, 09:05 AM
LoudCity,
I have not been able to get it working. In the interim I am using Girder and CDE files to control my Slink-e (which is working well, but it is extra setup and overhead).

Ben,
In case it's important, my HTPC is running WinXP Pro SP-1, P1.8, 256MB RAM, tons of disk space.

-Zak

LoudCity
March 15th, 2003, 01:29 PM
with the exact same problems...

i'm running w2k sp2 256mb ram 30gb hd/ 16gb free.

it's version 3 of slinke...

thanks.

Ben S
March 15th, 2003, 01:54 PM
I found the problem! I severely screwed up IR data in the recent build. You really shouldn't see the slinke light up at all, but it could (randomly) be receiving data which is toasting NRIRServ.

I will have a fix available in the next few days. Apologies for wasting your time on this one!

-Ben

barhoram
April 8th, 2003, 04:41 PM
...I just tried to download and run Netremote with my Slink-e before I found this thread. Needless to say, I have had no luck. I know the Slink-e and it's IR are working because im using HomeSeer and CDJ currently. With neither of those two running, I start SlinkeServer and the NR IR Server and get a connection. After that, I have no idea what to do. I loaded a working CCF (have a pronto) into NetRemote, but have no idea if it is connecting or not. I see no activity in SlinkeServer. Should I be able to run Netremote from the same computer?? What do I plug in for its configuration? I assume the learned IR in the pronto ccf is all I need for IR. What am i missing?? Drew

z.mash
April 8th, 2003, 08:42 PM
I responded over at AVS and I think bahoram is working now (needed to download .9831).

-Zak

barhoram
April 9th, 2003, 06:52 AM
That was the fix!!! The new version took care of the problem, and I was up and running immediately. Very Cool! 1 question, though....It seems that when I issue an IR command through Netremote and the Slink-e, It sends the IR through both IR Zone 0 and 1. This presents a small problem for me because I have two Direct TV Receivers (one in each zone) and need some way to keep their control seperate. Any ideas?? I dont see anyway in the setup to chooose the IR zone..and assume it defaults to both. Drew

barhoram
April 10th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Anyone...?? How can I direct Netremot to only use IR-1 in on the SLink-E?

MikeM
April 10th, 2003, 05:53 PM
I think the code currently send the IR to all zones. I've talked with Dave T about doing something very similar, but I think there isn't an option to support that now.

The Replays have a way of selecting a unit number that helps differentiate remote signals - do the Tivo's have something similar?

Thanks,
Mike

barhoram
April 11th, 2003, 07:27 AM
I checked on my DTV receiver (not a tivo)...and there doesn't seem to be any way to change the default IR on the unit. Any idea how complicated it would be to allow selection of the IR port on the Slink-e. Thanks - Drew.

barhoram
April 14th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Anyone???? I would really just like NetRemote to control IR-1 of on the SLinki-E.

z.mash
April 14th, 2003, 09:02 AM
Barhoram,

Unfortunately, on the NR side this is an issue only Dave T. or Ben can handle. There is no configuration that I know of - NRIRServ just uses the SlinkeServ settings.

Perhaps a DirecTV forum might know of a way to use separate IR frequencies for different receivers.

Sorry!
-Zak

Ben S
April 14th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Hi Barhoram,
Unfortunately you can not set which IR port to blast to, it blasts to all ports.

I'm wondering how you could have this setup, as you do want both to be able to be controlled by NetRemote, but you need to know which port to send it to, right?

That would be tough.

MikeM
April 14th, 2003, 07:24 PM
I'm wondering how you could have this setup, as you do want both to be able to be controlled by NetRemote, but you need to know which port to send it to, right?

Ben, I was thinking about this, and it's a hard problem to solve. But, I think as much as it complicates things, you could probably introduce a light form of state into the protocol.

That is, you could use a pseudo IR code like you do for Girder commands to select a zone, and then have the NRIRServ switch it's IR output accordingly.

Another way way is somewhat of a hack, but would also work. That is to run 2 NRIRServ daemons on the same IR interface (in the case of a multizone device like a SLink-e), or on multiple IR emitters (like the USB-UIRT) but on different ports. Then you use an netremote feature to select which port number the commands get sent to. The advantage here is that state is contained to netremote and not the IR server daemon.

Of course, there are even uglier hacks that could be done, like adding a magic cookie suffix to the button name that wouldn't display, but indicate which IR zone to send the IR command to. But I think the other approaches are neater and likely to work better.

Thanks,
Mike

barhoram
April 15th, 2003, 08:25 AM
Interesting....the reason why I asked it that because all of the other software that I use with the Slink-E allows you to choose the IR port that it utliizes (Homeseer and even Girder). However, you need to set up an IR file for each piece of equipment. I guess it is different becauce the IR is coming from the Pronto CCF?

I did check the DBD forum, and there is no way to change my Direct TV's (DTC-100) IR "channel".

z.mash
April 15th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Of course, there are even uglier hacks that could be done, like adding a magic cookie suffix to the button name that wouldn't display, but indicate which IR zone to send the IR command to. But I think the other approaches are neater and likely to work better.

Actually, the IR code name is currently not used for anything by NRIRServ. I know Ben uses IR code name for other interfaces. It seems from a "passing information to NRIRServ" standpoint, this would actually be the cleanest way, doesn't it?

Of course, I am, as usual, completely ignoring the complications of the server-side component.

-Zak