PDA

View Full Version : Support for multiple jump actions

z.mash
March 17th, 2003, 10:20 AM
I would like to be able to have multiple jump actions per button. Currently, ProntoEdit (and Tonto) only allow one jump action. ProntoNeo, however, allows as many as you want. This lets you create some "filler" during those long macros to discourage people from hitting the power button over and over again.

The infrastructure appears to be there in Tonto, Stewart-of-Tonto-Fame would have to enable the Jump button for multiple jumps. Any thoughts, Ben? 1.x release maybe?

Thanks,
Zak

bspachman
March 17th, 2003, 11:44 AM
I know part of this answer:

The original Pronto remotes are only capable of a single jump action, so if the NetRemote CCF parser is strictly emulating the TSU1000/2000 format, multiple jumps won't work.

However, like you said, the ProntoNeo allows multiple jumps. Also, the Marantz series of universal remotes (5200/9600/etc.) allows multiple jumps.

The Neo uses a different file format--but the Marantz is capable of using & generating ccf files. I use Tonto exclusively to modify & maintain my Marantz RC5200. Multiple jumps work fine.

I guess the question is, can NetRemote understand the Marantz flavor of CCF instead of a Pronto?

Brad

QuickCarl
March 17th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Brad, it is a matter of two things (I think) file format and instructions set.

I think Ben has the ability to read the file format of the Marantz which can include diferring kinds of jumps (forard, back and multiple I believe). Then he needs to create the instruction set to handle those times that the actionn lists conatin them.

I think Stewart is already checking for infinite loops, but those could be a problem as well. Just some thoughts. -Carl

mrallen
March 17th, 2003, 04:17 PM
the marantz jump action is structurally identical to the standard pronto jump. it just has a different action ID (9 instead of 3).

Ben S
March 17th, 2003, 10:55 PM
This could theoretically be supported pretty easily. Stewart, can the custom format support multiple jumps?

I'd need to look into timing, and my jumps only occur on -button up-, which means they couldn't be used as a spacer between long macros.

mrallen
March 17th, 2003, 11:12 PM
sure. i just fixed that for the next release. it was a one-liner.

Ben S
March 17th, 2003, 11:18 PM
Is this still useful if jumps only occur at button release? Zak?

mrallen
March 17th, 2003, 11:25 PM
from what I understand, the most common use for this was crude animation.

Rob H
February 17th, 2004, 04:34 PM
I guess that multiple jumps didn't make it into 0.995 - are they on the list for 1.0 or as a post 1.0 feature? How about back jumps (i.e. going back to the panel you just left)?

There's a couple of really cool PCFs (for the TSU7000) on Remote Central that use multiple jumps. These could be adapted for NR fairly easily - I've made a start on one but I'm hanging fire for the moment.

Take a look at http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/filevote.cgi?details=28&page=4 for my current favourite.

Ben S
February 18th, 2004, 08:11 AM
I don't think multiple jumps will make it into 1.0, but they will shortly thereafter.

The .pcf's really look nice. I like the one you linked to. Without committing too much, I have a little tool I wrote (in C#) that converts .pcf devices, panels, and buttons to the custom .ccf format. No actions are converted, but I've used this as a base for a few of my own ccfs. I may make this available if someone wants to play.

Rob H
February 18th, 2004, 08:15 AM
I may make this available if someone wants to play.

That would be great!

Ben S
February 25th, 2004, 07:48 AM
Okay, let me see about packaging it.

dalopey
March 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Thanks Ben - I looked at the PCF's too, even before I landed on NetRemote and they DO LOOK SHARP!! Plus tons to choose from. Why re-invent the wheel, right. I have no problem having someone else's artwork on display!!! Maybe a mix an match...

Hmmmm - is there a way to extract the graphics from a CCF? Maybe a question already anwsered somewhere... and I'll probably figure it out anyway... Just thought of it though.

Converting PCF to CCF - call it pcf2ccf.exe - hahahaha joking. kinda. But that would be excellent!

Thanks Ben. Let us know where to get it.

dalopey
March 2nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
there are also ICF files... They would seem like good candidates for all your SIMPAD's out there!!!

icf2ccf.exe

SO, perhaps there should be a separate Thread for "Convert PCF/ICF to CCF" and then leave this one about the jumping multiple.... whatever it was! :?:

If ICF is do-able I might get the SIMPAD, too!

Ben S
March 4th, 2004, 01:55 PM
Sorry guys, I've been busy trying to get 0.995 to stop breaking on jump.

I just checking out an icf file, and it's the exact same format as the pcf, so I should be able to easily convert both. Let me play and I'll try to get something out in a few days.

dhanford
November 4th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Was the ICF conversion ever figured out?? I would really like to use some of the existing ICF files for my airpanel.

tmorten
April 1st, 2005, 06:46 PM
Just to revive an older thread:

- Is the PCF to CCF tool available (or will it just be part of the forthcoming editor)?

- Any update on support for multiple jumps?

- Any alternative ways to implement animation (without resorting to Girder)?

Many Thanks,
Tim

Ben S
April 2nd, 2005, 06:34 PM
Hi Tim - I never released this separately, but it works well as built into the new designer.

Unfortunately new features like multiple jumps and animated graphics rely on a changing of the file format, which (unfortunately) is not possible until everyone is using the new designer.

In regards to Animation, you can do this nicely by embedding either Flash or SVG into a NetRemote object (check out Marcel's great work for info on doing this).