PDA

View Full Version : Open call to C/C++ Developers

Ben S
March 17th, 2003, 11:02 PM
Howdy folks.

NetRemote driver development is super easy. I plan on revising the "SDK" and development documentation shortly, and it would be great to know that there are a few developers out there who have interest in extending NetRemote beyond it's current abilities.

No pay involved. :)

CodeHusker
April 3rd, 2003, 08:08 PM
A SDK would be great. I'd like to use NetRemote to control some custom software that is listening for commands via a TCP socket. Keep up the great work.

Ben S
April 13th, 2003, 06:41 PM
CodeHusker - I just made some major changes to the driver model. I'm hoping it is the final change.

I will roll up a driver sample and the header shortly, but it will not be guaranteed to be stable until a 1.0 release.

skyntchev
April 13th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Hi,

I am considering making NEtRemote a front-end to a custom ADI Ocelot-based home automation system (C#. .NET). Currently the system operates using a web based UI.
I would like to write something that will listen to NetRemote commands and trigger events in my system. Can somebody provide some info about the protocol NEtReomte uses and how are different commands are encoded

Ben S
April 20th, 2003, 10:03 AM
Hi skyntchev:

Does the ocelot sit connected to a pc, or is it standalone? If it's connected to the PC you might want to put Girder between it and NetRemote.

Otherwise, you might need a driver coded up to work with it.

I'm close to releasing the next version, and I think the driver model is mostly stable, so that other people can start some driver work.

skyntchev
April 21st, 2003, 09:39 AM
Hi WickedEwok

Thank you for the reply. Great job on the product. Works great. This is exactly what I needed.

My Ocelot is connected to a PC all the time. I tried using Girder and found that I had to write some custom code to interface with the Ocelot. What I end up doing was write a "Girder emulator" that looks to NetRemote like a Girder and implements the Girder TCP interface (NetRemote thinks that is talking to a Girder while talking to my code). This way I can receive NetRemote commands and control my software.
I was hoping that there is some open, native protocol that NetRemote uses. May be this is what you refer to as a "driver model". Once it is available I will switch to using it instead of the Girder protocol. For now this will keep me going on the rest of my project.

I have two questions if you can help me with.
1. What is the format of the data that is sent. I found that this is the IR command name (?) sometime preceded by a "Payload" section. I don't know what makes it show or not show the Payload.
2. I use an iPaq with Wireless LAN for control. I noticed that if I turn it off and turn it on again it takes about 10 sec. before it can send the first command. I guess that it is trying to get an IP address or initialize some networking infrastructure. It is sometime annoying to wait before you can turn the volume down. Has anyone noticed this issue and is there a workaround?

Thank you for your help.

Stefan

brockgr
April 21st, 2003, 10:35 AM
Stefan,

I just uploaded my draft of the NetRemote <-> Girder protocol. It is not complete, but may be a little better than nothing.

http://www.netremote.org/drops/NetRemote%20Feedback%20Protocol%20v1.00.txt

Cheers, Gavin

skyntchev
April 23rd, 2003, 09:57 PM
Gavin,

Thank you for the post. It provides some insight into the protocol networking.
I am trying to figure out what is the best way to encode Girder commands in the CCF file. My system maintains a list of commands and macros on the computer that is connected to the Ocelot. Each commands has a unique GUID that is used to invoke the command. What I want to do is to assign command guids to buttons in the CCF so this GUID is sent as a command via the Girder protocol.
I don't care much about the IR codes, I only need a command name (a guid string in my case). I tried using Tonto and found that if I put a particular IR Hex code, I can get the IR command name. Is there a way to assign a string command to a button and make NetRemote send it using the Girder protocol?

Thanks,

Stefan.

Saint
April 24th, 2003, 06:35 AM
If I understand you correctly, you could set the IR Name to your GUID string, set the IR hex code to -1,0,1 and netremote will send the IR Name(GUID) to your program.

Set the IR hex code to -1,0,1:
5001 0000 0000 0002 FFFF 0000 0001 0000

Refer to the section: Creating NetRemote Buttons in Tonto
in the manual to see how to set the IR Name to you GUID string.
http://members.verizon.net/~vze3fgvv/NetRemote/index.html

HTH,
Patrick