PDA

View Full Version : Using NetRemote & Girder over Bluetooth

claude34
March 28th, 2003, 05:49 AM
I'm pretty new to NetRemote & Girder, but have manage to create a CCF with basic buttons to control Winamp, so I can test everything works. Using Win32 NetRemote, I can press one of the CCF buttons (to play current song in Winamp), and Girder receives the event, and plays the song. I copied the CCF to my PocketPC (Fujitsu-Siemens Loox), and did the same test, with the PocketPC cradled. I'd set the Girder target as the name of my PC, and it also worked fine. (Well, I had to press a few buttons several times before Girder did anything...more on that later).

I then disconnect USB cable, and connected using Bluetooth (which I know works fine for ActiveSync and Internet Browsing etc) - when I pressed a button again, Winamp didn't play. I checked in Girder's Plugin screen, Internet Event Server, and saw that a connection to the PocketPC was made, but immediately disconnected - and the IP address of the PocketPC appears VERY briefly on the right hand side of connections....

Also, in the bottom status bar of Girder, where it normally shows what Event was received, it VERY briefly flashes something, but then says Disconnect.

I guess this could be a Bluetooth thing, but does anyone have any ideas what's happening, or how to fix it....?

Many thanks for an EXCELLENT piece of software :-)

Mastiff
March 29th, 2003, 03:44 AM
Hey,fellow Looxer! Try to incrase timeout value to ridiculous levels, like 100000 milliseconds. It might help.

claude34
March 31st, 2003, 03:02 PM
Hi Mastiff,

I've read your site about your home setup, very cool...

I've tried increasing timeout to 15 seconds (15000ms), but no joy. About 2 seconds after pressing a button in NetRemote on my Loox, Girder very briefly flashes Disconnect at the bottom right of the status bar, and in Plugins > Settings, still very briefly see the IP of my Loox.

It's nothing to do with time-out, so do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Claude

Mastiff
March 31st, 2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks! And I'm sorry, I gave up today (again - I tried this last fall and gave up then as well) myself. I will get my new WLAN card for the car MP3 player tormorrow.

Ben S
March 31st, 2003, 05:31 PM
Don't give up yet. All versions using timeout are broken. The timeout you enter is not -milliseconds-, it is -microseconds-. Multiple microseconds * 1000 = milliseconds (meaning 1,000,000 micro's = 1 second).

0.983 (to be released soon) fixes this. Bluetooth is still slow, but it -does- work.

Mastiff
April 1st, 2003, 01:53 AM
I hope my colleague does not give up, but for me the answer was pretty easy:
First of all I spent three or four hours of my weekend trying to get Active Sync over BT working. Then I spent a couple of hours of my workday yesterday (Monday) doing the same. Then I found that if I spent more time on that BS I would probably go bankrupt since I don't make money when I don't do any actual work, unlike for instance government officials.
Second of all: WIth a WLAN card I can sync the MP3 backup (which the car player is based on) on my network without even removing it from the car.
And the final straw was that I found out that my Loox could not be connected to AS or any BT network function via Bluetooth and to my phone for Running Voice at the same time. That was the straw.
So for my part BT is for phone communications, not "serious" NetRemoteing. I only hope you can give us the multiple instances soon (hint, hint...) since I need to have another IP on the carputer (my original plan was to use the same IP as the main MP3 system, but since it will connect to my WLAN network every time I come home or drive out, this will not be possible now). And opening NetRemote and changing IPs for both Girder and MC9's WebRemote is not really an elegant solution... :wink:

Ben S
April 1st, 2003, 07:26 AM
I only hope you can give us the multiple instances soon (hint, hint...):wink:

Making headway on this. Will not be available in 0.983, but will be available in 0.984.

Mastiff
April 1st, 2003, 07:33 AM
Great! Thanks, Ben! :D

claude34
April 2nd, 2003, 09:46 AM
I finally got it working!!! It's a little slow, but it's definitely usable :-)

The problem WAS timeout - in NetRemote 0.982, timeout was defined in microseconds, so setting it to 10000 was no way near enough for Bluetooth to get a message back. For 0.982, I set timeout to 2,000,000 microseconds, and it worked! For 0.983, this has been corrected to milliseconds, so it should be fine to use 2000 as timeout (or more or less, depending on your setup)

Thanks guys! Over half a year has passed since I bought my PocketPC and BT dongle, expecting to be able to use it as a remote control, and now my dream came true!!!

Claude

P.S.
(I've got to be doing this for the tech factor, because I watch PC-TV on the sofa only 3 feet from my PC! I'm not THAT lazy...)